THR Tollers number 2.

Thanks for the information on the shin pain. Hubs was convinced that it meant I threw a clot and was mad I didn’t wake him up.

Thanks Layla. Pretty sure I was falling under getting obsessive about it !

HA! I was just looking at something about the period immediately after THR.
They said “Get ready for day 3!”. Apparently not super-pleasant most of the time.

Happy Friday!
I hope you had a comfortable overnight.

Not necessarily....about Day Three.
I heard the same and I waited :bored: and waited :bored: and nothing monumental happened.
Day Three and Day Four are the two I was warned about and honestly....no different than the other few days that surrounded those two. I hope it's the same for you. Let us know.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend :)
@tollertwins

Interesting....2 was uncomfortable because I was trying to get meds sorted. 3 was pretty good. 4 I thought I’d gotten run over by a truck. Managed to sleep some last night (although “night” kind of has a wierd definition right now), feeling pretty decent today! (Fingers crosses that I didn’t just jinx it!)

:praying:

:fingersx::fingersx: double fingers crossed!
Early days are tough....all worth it in the end dear toller.
I said I kinda was hating life for the first ten days...then I was completely convinced once I got through surgical recovery...my hips were going to be Great!
I was right:) :-) (:

Yeah...at this stage it’s tough to figure out what “overdoing” it is. Today it was too much heat and not enough ice on the lower quad...and sitting in the wrong chair a couple hours.

Yes...don't think you want to go to heat right now. I know all those muscles are sore...my quads were some kind of sore!
Inflammation/swelling needs that ice.
:ice:
Hang in there...

Got permission from the surgeon to use a TENS as long as it stays away from the incision.

Figured dealing w wires would be a bit much right now, so I got one of these

and stuck it on the ouchiest spot right on the front of the thigh. In case the link doesn’t work (I can’t see it) it’s a TENS patch by iRelieve. You just stick it on where it hurts.

Not quite bliss, but close enough! Helped my walking, too.

Now it’s on my shin muscle. Great size for the shin, could be a little bigger for the thigh. Nice adjunct, though! I still can’t take more than 1 hydrocodone every 4 hrs, unfortunately.

Can’t sleep, too swollen...so wondering if anybody else has a well meaning but clueless spouse?

Talking earlier about trying a pair of slides for short travels around the house. Potty, getting water, etc.

Hubs - oh, you wanna go shopping tomorrow?
Me - :bignono:

Hubs - why is your knee still sore?

Me - because the rip your leg up behind your back to dislocate it and everything gets pretty mad.

Hubs - wait. They DISLOCATE your hip, THEN replace it???

Me - :bored: Yep. Then they saw the top of the femur off, bang on it w a broach and a hammer, power grind the socket out, seat THAT w more hammering, try heads on for fit, and then stick it together and try to dislocate it a few more times.

Hubs - slightly green

Me - :bored: they kinda brutalize your leg. Which is why it’s so swollen.

:censored::censored::censored:

Thank you for listening to my rant. Yesterday I asked about driving me out to the road so I could walk on some level straight surfaces. It’s about 150 ft of loose rail road ballast or grass. He was appalled that I’d want to drive out instead of just walking on the grass. :banghead::banghead:

:groan:
Yea, toller. What's wrong with you?:umm:
Can't you just jump up and get on with it one week after having major construction on your leg? Oh my stars...are you trying to milk this thing for all its worth?:rotfl:
Poor toller. Do pull up a nice video for him to view!:flabber:

My hubby is Dying when he has a cold, so we know how things would be if the hip was on the other side, right?:whistle:

Hope today is a Good Day. Healing hugs!:hugzz::hugzz:

If nothing else, it's good humor. It gave me a few laughs @tollertwins
I like Mojo's idea of showing hubs a video of a live hip replacement :rotfl:
I hope you're having a nice Sunday :)

Pain is starting to diminish...I only needed Vicodin every 6 hrs or so, which means I can get a full load of Tylenol on board. I think that is making a big difference. I can’t really take enough natcotics to nuke the pain if it starts to get bad because then I start getting black spots when I stand up, so being able to use the extra Tylenol is a help.

Took a shower today (yea!). Then tried going from the men’s boxers I had been wearing to my regular women’s boxers, which fit a lot tighter. :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:!

The incision sez nope, nope, nope!

And, learning of the week for me. You can elevate too much. Have been elevating all night and my thigh has been tight, painful, and HUGE. Started sleeping semi flat and it’s a lot better.

Posted an incision picture in the pinned thread.

Huh. HVe been trying to figure out why I’m getting a really sharp pain on the outside of my knee when I’m walking. Figured it was because the muscles aren’t working right, since it’s done that b4. Just got enough flexibility to look...there is a HUGE bruise right there! No wonder it hurts!

I have a bruise there too (am day 26 after a bilateral hip replacement) and my right knee remains very puffy - 1" bigger than left - and I can't really stand on this leg because my knee feels so weak compared to left leg which is great. Wish you well and hope the pain goes away .. I think we have been manhandled!

Happy Monday :)
First showers are the best! Glad to hear your pain is diminishing.
Depending upon the approach you experienced, the knee can be jerked rather aggressively during the location process. I had bruising that showed up over two weeks post op in the knee area.
Happy One Week Anniversary!
@tollertwins

I seem to have joined the “overdid it club” already...did I break any records??

I’m not entirely sure what I did, but my crutch slipped a couple times today (going up and down the ramp in front of our house).

Given the volume of the expletive that resulted, I probably should have just stayed w my feet up the rest of the day. But nooooooooooo......I got some shoes I could get in and out of thinking that as long as I had orthotics my leg would be somewhat protected from getting torqued because of my wonky feet.

I think it helped for a while, and then got to be too much because my knee really needs to see a chiropractor, and things ended up getting twisted the other way. And more swollen.

Hubs got the ice changed out on the ice machine, and that is like being in Nirvana!

I may go ahead and try the Ted hose tomorrow and see if they help swelling. Since I’m wearing the squeezy things in the calves, they said I didn’t need to use the TED hose for DVT.

That must have been frightening to say the least. Are the tips on your crutches in good repair? Do take care, no falling allowed!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom