THR Tollers number 2.

tollertwins

Country
United States United States
Outpatient THR yesterday. Checked in at 6:30, walked (got wheeled) out at noon.

The new pain control protocols are ahhmmmaaazzzzing! Last time I was on a morphine pump. This time just on oral meds. I mostly feel like a really cranky mare kicked me in the thigh. Not having the really excruciating bone and nerve pain I did the last time.

The staff at the surgery center was very good about my sensitivity to pain meds. Esp the anesthesiologists! I had a spinal plus IV sedation and IV pain control. Comment at the end was “she is REALLY sensitive to pain meds!.

Now am on 10mg of hydrocodone, an extra Tylenol, and they prescribe hydroxazine as an “adjunct” to make the hydrocodone work better. It is also a sedative. I’m taking a quarter of a pill at a time. It’s actually taking my pain down to about zero, possibly because I can’t stay awake after taking it.

Had an oopsie w the ice machine yesterday. Looked at my leg and was sure I had gotten an ice burn, so stayed away from ice for most of yesterday night. Realized about 3am that what I thought was red skin was betadine.

They also gave me some very cool things that are battery powered and wrap around the calf to provide compression, so I get to toss the TED hose! Yea!

Have had one person ask if I’m bored yet...WHAT??? too stoned to be bored...

Tollertwins... sounds like your on your way. sending lots of healing angels :angel:your way.
Also the battery operated leg compression I got something similar at Amazon.:idea: They are air filled then wrap around legs using a battery will squeez the leg helps with swelling. No compression socks...

Hi there, you've been through hip replacement recovery before and so you know the drill. I will post our usual hip recovery guidelines anyhow. So funny about the betadine looking like a cold burn! I'm surprised they gave you 10 mg tabs of hydrocodone if you're that sensitive. My pain med has been half of a 5 mg tab of oxycodone. But you're smart and know to take only a quarter, although that sounds like it's making you dopey. Do you have an OTC in mind for when the narcotics aren't needed? You're off to a good start, glad to have you here!

HIP

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Welcome to Recovery! :welome: Congrats on your new hip!
It sounds like you're resting comfortably and doing well. I'm happy everything has gone smoothly for you. Stop back often so we can follow your progress and cheer you on as you're healing.

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening!

Locals have apparently all worn off. Eeeeyyyooowwccch!! :groan:

One spot right in the middle of the thigh is REALLY ouchy (like pulling a really bruised muscle ouchy,,,which I guess is what it is. :flabber:

Put a note
in to the Drs office about if I can out a TENS there tomorrow...

Happy to see you! My goodness, you went home quickly!! I imagine you will start to feel a few more aches and pains as all the IV drugs wear off but you sound well prepared and aware of what works for you.
:flwrysmile:

@tollertwins If you need to tweak your pain meds please call your surgeon's office or your family doctor. The down side of early discharge is you may not have the right pain management cocktail before you leave. Are you icing and elevating?

Happy Wednesday!
With any luck they got your meds figured out last night and you were able to rest comfortably.
I hope today feels brighter :SUNsmile:
Stay in touch...we're here for you!
@tollertwins

I changed the way I was elevating to get more support under the leg, and went to taking the hydrocodone every 4 hrs. I hadn’t needed it that frequently till everything else wore off.

Also took a bit more at night.

And stopped trying to,use the operated leg to push myself up tostanding. :banghead:

And stopped trying to,use the operated leg to push myself up to standing.
Ouch! No wonder you were hurting. All this is trial and error unfortunately. But finding out what works best for you is key. Sounds like you are on the right track now. Well done!

So just a note for peeps whose xrays “aren’t that bad”. The radiologist read mine as “not bone on bone! Mild to moderate arthritis”.

But the surgeon said there were actually multiple areas where the joint was bone on bone.

Also...yea for warm prune juice!

Question about elevating. I’ve been putting my feet up on some pillows to sleep.

I only get about 4 hrs at a time, but at the end of that 4 hrs the thigh is more swollen.

Uh...am I doing it wrong?

Josephine has some pictures on here on how to do the pillows. I just tried to find it but had no luck. I just noticed @Jaycey online so maybe she will pop in. 4 hours sleep at a time is pretty good at this stage and best to keep up the pain meds throughout the night right now anyway. Hope you have a great day!

Hi @tollertwins
All of these early recovery day revelations. :umm:
Sometimes my swelling would seem worse at night and would go down when I resumed icing the next morning.
Many complain of the fluid collecting in lower leg and foot...when they are up alot.
Josephine explained things to me by thinking of a bottle of water...
standing up, the contents are at the bottom, lay it on its side and the contents are likewise! Really, our bodies are just sophisticated bottles of water! :wink:

bottle-on-side-jpg.13247

As Jaycey said...some of it we just figure out what works at what time by trial and error. Normal to swell.
And four hours is amazing to me...I was up every hour it seemed like.

Keep the faith...it will get better.

The 4 hrs or so is because the pain meds make me pass out. Altho last nite it was only about 2 hrs at a time.

I think my stack collapsed again. I just put it back and will see if that helps some.

I DID manage to be on my side a little,,,until my ankle started being unhappy. I think it’s where the boot goes on,

Happy Thursday @tollertwins
Well, a four hour stretch is pretty good. I slept in two four hour stretches with a bathroom break in between and found it adequate enough that I didn't need to sleep during the day. Although I wouldn't have minded an occasional nap.

Here are some pics on elevation from the article "Elevate" in the Recovery Guidelines. I've also often heard the phrase "Toes Above Nose" as a guideline -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/pain-and-swelling-control-elevation-is-the-key.7602/

I hope you're having a good day!

So I’m thinking I’m not going to,be one of those ppl who are walking 2 miles in 2 weeks. :dead:

I have found that walking is overall easier in shoes (I have prescription orthotics).

And am now wondering if I misunderstood the “I want you up every hour” comment from the doc. Since that wasn’t happening because the meds effectively make me unconscious (and that is a QUARTER of one!), I had been trying to move around 15 or 20 mins when I WAS up. Maybe too much.:unsure:

Is taking half the pain meds twice as often a problem? E.g. 5mg Norco every 2 hrs instead of 10 mg every 4 hrs? I can remember I’m human a little better that way.

Also, for anybody that had an anterior...did your outside shin muscle hurt like all get out?

So I’m thinking I’m not going to,be one of those ppl who are walking 2 miles in 2 weeks.
Don't believe everything you read.
We want this to get well the right way!
Is taking half the pain meds twice as often a problem? E.g. 5mg Norco every 2 hrs instead of 10 mg every 4 hrs? I can remember I’m human a little better that way
@Josephine can probably best address this.

Also, for anybody that had an anterior...did your outside shin muscle hurt like all get out?
Yes ma'am...I had some shin pain...actually all kinds of weird pains...kind of a rough surgery:unsure:
Sleep when you can...short walks good...I'd say fifteen or twenty minutes per up...plenty.
I wiggled my legs about quite a bit even when sitting...was hard to hold them still.
All temporary...so keep the faith friend.
You are doing fine.:console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft