Toilet seat questions

another option is to pee standing up.. There are aids that allow this but they do require practice in order to be used neatly.
I use one for camping as I hate to pee all over my pants in the woods where there are no facilities other than a bush.

I use a Freshette.. Google Feminine Urinary Device. They have a pocket envelope so no one knows what it is

Gosh, @Fiona444, I never thought about that 90 degree restriction before as it applies to using the toilet! If that is the case, I can see why you want to make sure you figure this out beforehand. Well, sounds like there are a number of options available, even though I had to chuckle at the idea of hauling around a portable device to use in restrooms where the toilet is too low. Now I am really super glad I had enough strength in my core/glutes to slowly get up and down on low toilets. That said, I really appreciated having the toilet riser at home, the kind with little rails on the side which made the whole getting up and down process much quicker. By the way, @gertie, your comments cracked me up!

Oh some of the posts on this thread have made me laugh. Thank you :heehee:

I am practising already using my core and quads to lift myself but the ideas of the portable lifter and the "shewee"as we have over are all good options so thank you.

As the days draw nearer I am getting into a bit of a panic about some things and even the small things are worrying me. I guess that is normal though. Its a big thing we are putting ourselves through. Hats off to all of us

I never sit on loos outside of my home so I was well versed in the ‘hovering’ technique... it so helped post op... a bit of practice at home maybe. Don’t forget .. toilet lid up [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never sit on loos outside of my home so I was well versed in the ‘hovering’ technique... it so helped post op... a bit of practice at home maybe. Don’t forget .. toilet lid up [emoji51]

Will I be able to hover? That would be perfect. I am well versed in the hovering technique but was a bit doubtful if I could manage after surgery?

Oh of course! You will have no problem ‘hovering’ by the time you are ready to go out & visit restaurant loos!! But the raised toilet seat for home was so much more comfortable post op.

The precautions are fine for that... It’s only twisting or turning that they are for. Your body won’t let you do it anyway!!

I’m 12 weeks post op 2nd THR & it’s been fab... no more pain!!!

The most helpful aid I used was a medical slip sheet which so helped me get in & out of bed & the car.... (available on Amazon) ... it was a game changer for me...a black rubbish bag does the trick too.

Take care xx

I don't see why not but you might want to fit your walker into the loo. Don't try the little doored loos! With extra stuff you will never get out..

My hovering aim however is far from perfect as I am a better rotary sprinkler than a direct spray

This thread has been such fun on a cold rainy day!:heehee:

In reference to making sure toilet is not lower than your knees make sure the chair you will be sitting on the seat is also not below your knees. If it isn't you'd need to put something under the legs to raise it.

Absolutely. My work have said that if I am ready before 6 weeks is up I can work from home as I will have everything set up there and they do not want to bother sorting out a toilet for me :rofsign:

@Fiona444 I hadn't decided whether to buy one or not but to my great surprise, I was provided by the NHS with a raised toilet seat with a frame around it! They will come and collect the frame when I have finished with it but the seat is mine to keep apparently! :snork:
You may well be offered the same.

Jockette, the 4" Aqua Sense toilet riser is the one I purchased from Amazon for my upcoming surgery. I am glad to hear you give it a positive review. :)

Hi @linette333 unfortunately I have been told that I have to purchase my own seat as I am going private and insurance dont provide any kit. They said I could buy one from them at around £15

Ah, I see. Actually, I could have managed without the seat, but the frame has been very useful. A walker would work in the same way though.
Not long now until you join us on the healing side!

My Father In Law used a walker for many years and used it as an aid to getting up.. So it is possible..if it fits in the bath that is..

Yes, just 4 days to go!!!! Cannot believe it is nearly here. Still struggling with corneal abrasion but it is healing slowly thank goodness. I have a basin right by the toilet and think I can use that to help me up as well.

I tried to use a toilet riser and it was a disaster as it slid around and I sprinkled everywhere but in there...
My counter is next to the toilet and I can also use the doorknob..
I now have a 16.5 inch high toilet. At that time I had a 14 inch toilet..
You may or may not have such firmly fixed conveniences to use for a substitute riser.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom