To partially revise or not?

Patricia123

Country
Canada Canada
I had a TKR in January 2020. I had previously had a THR in 2003. (I would rather get ten hip replacements than another knee replacement) I found the knee surgery recovery to be very challenging and ended up with some weird complications. I worked hard at it and I think it took me nine weeks before I could do a full turn around of the pedals in the stationary bike. now my bend is great and actually better than a lot of people with good knees. I have zero pain when sitting, laying or standing and can walk on flat surfaces with no trouble other than some discomfort if I walk too far. However any walking where there is a decline (even small declines), or uneven ground, or turning too quickly, my knee gives out. It isn’t buckling like what happened pre surgery - more of an aggressive sudden thrust forward. it is so unstable and I feel I can’t trust it. It makes me sad as I had hoped the tkr would let me live a really active life. I saw surgeon today and had X-rays and Knee examined and he says that I am all stretched out (?) and they need to tighten it up by doing a surgery where they replace the plastic space thing. All of my joints are hyper mobile and hyperextend so this might be part of the issue. I was quite shocked to hear I needed another flipping surgery as I expected to get some new physio exercises. Of course I couldn’t think of questions to ask until I had left. I’ve done a bit of Googling and found some articles that say this surgery is not that effective at fixing unstable knees. So I am wondering how the pain level, rehab and recovery time compares to a tkr. with the tkr I was off work for 12 weeks but I was closer to a year before I started to really improve. Also has anyone here had knee instability and had this surgery. Thank you for your help.

We have had members have just the spacer replaced, but I actually can’t recall if most were happy with it or not, they don’t always come back after the initial recovery.

Yes it is another surgery, but, if they just replace the spacer, it is less extensive than a complete revision of all the parts, so the recovery should be a bit “easier” depending on our your own body reacts to the surgery.

I don’t blame you for not wanting another surgery, I don‘t either! But, leaving it as is may not really be an option.

Have you considered getting another opinion just to confirm this diagnosis?

Skigirl had her spacer exchanged about 8 years ago. She was very happy with the results, she was able to return to teaching skiing, which she is still doing.

I'm having my spacer replaced May 5th and my kneecap revised. They may redo the whole thing once they see it. I'm scared but I want to not feel so bad! I'm hoping for better days ahead. Just want you to know you are not alone.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back