BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] TKR

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Sair, May 16, 2019 at 3:22 AM.

1. Sair

Sair new member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello, I had my left tkr 18 March 2019. During the operation the surgeon noticed an anterior vertical fracture involving medial femoral condyle. I had 3 Dall-Miles cables passed to stabilise the fracture to prevent displacement. I was partial weight bearing for 7 weeks. I am still on crutches getting used to being fully weight bearing. Hopefully progressing to sticks tomorrow. My knee bend is useless, painful and very stiff indeed, my muscles seem to have lost so much power and I have a partially numb heel .
    I am becoming increasingly depressed about the whole thing. Has anyone had a similar experience? I just need to hear that I will get better....eventually.

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Yes, you will get better eventually. :console2:

This is a very long recovery even without the complication of a fracture. Complete healing from a knee replacement takes an average of a full year, with improvements continuing even after that. Where you are now is not where you will end up.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    You've had a difficult start to your recovery, but there's every chance that you will heal and make a full recovery.

4. Sair

Sair new member

Thank you. Jockette and Celle. I have not progressed to sticks today because I cannot do a straight leg raise!
    I will be working very hard to improve this over the next 2 weeks, as that is when I have my next physio appointment.

5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Don't work too hard. Your knee needs time to heal, so don't stress it with lots of exercise.

Recovery from a knee replacement is a year-long journey, so you have plenty of time. There's no need to rush. You'll get there in the end.

There are no prizes for giving up the walker and moving to sticks, so don't worry if you still need the walker. Your recovery has been complicated by the fracture, and allowances have to be made for that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sair

Sair new member

Thank you for your reassurance.

7. eaglemom

eaglemom senior

United States United States
    Your body and knee have been through a procedure, they need time to heal. I know you want it to go faster, and believe me if anyone here could do that we would. I know this sounds weird, but with my last revision I made my mind up that my recovery was my job, one of the few jobs I'd do. Give yourself permission to elevate and ice, and dial back anything else your doing.

It will all happen, in due time. Today it was rainy here and instead of my cane I'm using my walker. I don't 'have' to use it, but I was very conscious of walking improperly with the cane. You know your body best. It will get better.

• Agree Agree x 1