TKR to correct knock knees

jboles

graduate
Country
United States United States
Having TKR left knee May 15 then right knee 3-4 months later to correct severe knock knee deformity. Anyone else had this done?

LOADS of people! Part of the arthritis disease is that there is bone loss either on the inner or the outer side of the knee. If it's the inner then you get bow legs, if the outer, then it's knock knees. Almost everyone that has a TKR has one of these issues.

Here's a nice xray - you can see where the white arrow is that there is bone loss and consequent deformity.
In a normal knee, the red line would be straight.

valgus knee deformity.jpg

I did and had a great result. TKR has a very long recovery, but my leg is straight and very happy with outcome!!!

I now have one nice straight leg and plan on the next one in April. It will be nice to be able to actually put my feet together.

My LTKR corrected my knock knee caused by arthritis. I noticed my leg was straight as soon as the anesthesia wore off. I feel like I'm even a little taller. I'm only 3 weeks post op, but it feels like a lot of aches I had pre op are gone now that my leg is straight.

It's very reassuring to hear this from actual patients, not just the doctor who just says, "oh yes, we'll correct that." I have a foot that has turned inward and a lot of back pain, that I'm hoping goes away once this problem is corrected.

It makes me wonder if my ankle issues are really stemming from misaligned knees. I'm hopeful for some improvement in them after surgery.

I'm having a LTKR for the very same issue, just a day after you! That x-ray in Josephine's post looks very much like mine. We can be recovery buddies!

@JennyLynne Good luck on your upcoming surgery. It would be nice to have a recovery buddy! The x-ray looks like mine as well. Except both of my legs look like that. I'm worried that my "good-leg", though it's really not good, will be able to hold out after surgery. I guess I'll just have to hope and pray for the best.

@newlybionic How was it dealing with fixing one leg while the other one needed surgery also? I noticed that you have waited a year between surgeries? My doctor hasn't set the appointment for the second surgery yet, he said to wait and see how the first one goes.

i haven't had too much difficulty since the knee I'm going to get done is no where as deformed as the other one was. I had a TKR on my knee and then a full revision 8 months later. I was hoping that my old knee wouldn't need to be done. I had to wait until I could get time off again for this knee.

My problem is the same as yours. My knees have always been misaligned, and gotten worse over time. I can hardly wait to see what my leg looks like straight, and then to get my "better" (I can't say good) knee done to have 2 straight legs! Putting my feet together sounds like a miracle.

One of my knees was valgus (knock-kneed), and both had severe OA before TKR. My surgeries were a year apart to excellent results. I can hike, bike, and swim without pain. Choose a great surgeon and Go for it!

@sandi4213 Good luck on your surgery. I totally understand about being able to put our feet together. It will be wonderful! So many people just look at you and say I don't see why you don't just put them together? Well I would, if I could!

Hi! I'm new here! I'm about to have the left leg done for this November 1st. It is much worse on that side, but was told would eventually need the other replaced, too.

I can’t begin to tell you how I feel having a straight leg! I knew it was knock kneed, but seeing it post op was a revelation. I can wear trousers with front seams now, simple pleasures haha x

Learn something new every day. I never considered that having knock-knees might mean foregoing front-seam trousers. Simple pleasures indeed!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back