TKR TKR the 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmcc

Country
United States United States
I go in for my surgery on Tuesday. They are sending me home the same day, should I be concerned?

So glad to find this forum and share what others are going through. I'm schedule for my first surgery on the left knee on the 21st. I'll follow 3 weeks later, February 11th, with the right knee. I'm starting to get super nervous but know I should have done this about a year ago.

Looking forward to any advice and sharing my experience.

Pretty soon, someone wiser than I am will post some great resources, but I’m here to tell you that you’ll find BoneSmart is really helpful in lots of ways: good information, a healthy philosophy, camaraderie, and a place to vent and complain. It’s also a great place to help others when they need encouragement. Stick with us!

I had my RTKR done in December and was worried about being sent home the same day but it was actually just fine! They made sure I had a pain score of zero before I left and was medicated for the trip home. I was also taught how to use a walker and crutches and walked to Bathroom and back before I left. I went home to my own bed and set alarms to be woken up and my husband got my pain medication and helped me to get up to the bathroom. I made sure to take the medications prescribed every 4 hours and stayed ahead of it. I am glad I went home the same day.

:welome: to BoneSmart. Short of having them both on the same day, a small gap between surgeries is IMO ideal. In 3 weeks you'll be over the worst, you'll understand what's involved, and you'll be keen to get FULL recovery under way.

Of course you are super nervous. I was the Biggest Girls Blouse on the planet, but after it's over you'll be fine. You have a lot of control over recovery, none over arthritis.

You have a lot of control over recovery, none over arthritis.
Excellent point!

Give your new knee mobility but go easy on the PT. Often they give us more than our knee can handle, or needs.

Best Wishes!

Best wishes for the 21st. Here is some reading, to help you prepare for surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I also did same day surgery and had no issues. I was able to walk with the walker, go to the bathroom and had no issues. My surgeon gave me all my med scripts a week before surgery so I had everything on hand. Loved being in my own bed without people constantly coming in to check on something. A nurse did visit my home that evening and the next day I had PT and nurse visit to remove my drain. It's not for everyone but worked great for me.

I think so long as your comfortable and knowledgable about outpatient (same-day) knee surgery option, go for it. But IMO same-day release needs to be understood in the context that TKR remains a very major surgery. Same-day is not for everyone.

For one you must have good wrap-around support to do what's done in the hospitals (taking into account even the small stuff) the first 24-48 hours (toileting, hydration etc). Depending on how your body responds to the surgery. I erred on caution.

I opted to stay a little longer.

If you truly feel same-day is NOT working for you, let your doctor know after surgery.

They should be able to adapt for you to stay over night if you are not ready. They must ensure that you can walk and take steps if you have steps in your home.

Last edited:
I had an early op, back on the ward for lunch.
I kept telling the staff I was going home for my supper, but in reality it wasn't going to happen. There were three criteria to be achieved before discharge was approved.

Pain under control, - no problem
Waterworks operating. Didn't prove this until the evening because my spinal anaesthetic took a while to disappear.
Walk up and down stairs, and due to the above the PT had gone home, so I had to wait to see him the next day.

So I was discharged on day 2.

There was no reason to rush off home, because I was having a nice rest, a good banter with the staff and other patients, and the food was excellent.

Wanting to go home early is normal for men, we all want to prove we are hard (well we do in Yorkshire)

Ps, I had no catheter with a femoral block to worry about, my anaesthetist used the new technique where they inject copious amounts of pain killer directly into the joint, just before they stitch us back together. That gives us 3 days of no pain whilst we get home and get the oral painkillers up and running. Why doesn't everybody do this?

Same I also had blocks delivered by two injections. That is really effective and a big step forward. It helped a lot the first two days. Then they made sure I was ramped on Oxy before it wore off.

It's called Local Infiltration Analgesia (LIA)

It's something I would recommend anyone to discuss with the surgeon prior to the op (and insist on it!, Or find another surgeon!)

From time to time I read of people on here waking up in uncontrolled agony, there's no need for it.

I think it's the biggest step forward in the 10 years between my TKRs.

I think so long as your comfortable and knowledgable about outpatient (same-day) knee surgery option, go for it. But IMO same-day release needs to be understood in the context that TKR remains a very major surgery. Same-day is not for everyone.
Naturally, same-day release isn't for everyone - and surgeons assess their patients carefully, to choose who is suitable.

Davidmcc has had his surgery. Please follow his progress in the Knee Replacement Recovery Area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member