Lounge Doctor

TKR TKR Setback

OP
OP
Annelie

Annelie

Country
United States United States
It is now six month since my right TKR and I'm so glad that I had done both knees now. I had fallen on my 6 month new knee on a hard surface and it hurt for just about a week.
Now I am pain free on both knees and I'm so happy to have found this forum when it came time for my second TKR. It has helped me so much to understand what is happening and why. Most of all, I didn't make the mistakes I made before I found this forum. It has helped me to heal faster and much less painful.
Thank you so much for everybody who has taken the time to answer my questions during the recovery.
Thank you!!!!!!!!

sistersinhim

Country
What an inspiration you are to those in early recovery. You are proof that it does get better. Thanks for sharing your outcome with us!

OP
OP
Annelie

Annelie

Country
It has been 7.5 months now since my right TKR. I'm not having any more pain. We live on the 4th floor and I'm using all 48 steps down and up to exercise my knee. This then gives me a little discomfort at night. My left TKR (close to 2 years ago) isn't hurting at all climbing the stairs. Am I pushing it with my 7+ months ago TKR or is it good exercise? Other than that everything is going well.
Most of all, thank you so much to everybody who has answered my questions and gave me encouragement throughout my last recovery. I have recommended this forum to a few other people who have been thinking of knee replacements because this forum has helped me so much.
Again, thank you to everybody!!!!!!!

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
:wowspring:I hope I can manage 4 flights of stairs and 48 steps at 7.5 months, well done you !!
I'm still struggling with 1 flight of stairs to my front door usually chickening out and walking around to the back (I live in a house)

If you are feeling discomfort at night maybe try and reduce some of your activity and if it helps then you know where the discomfort is coming from xxx

OP
OP
Annelie

Annelie

Country
Hi everybody! Today one year ago I had my 2. TKR.

Our apartment is on the 4. floor and I like to bypass the elevator as much as possible to get more exercise. Going down is a little uncomfortable but going up no problem.

My question: Do I “wear out” my new knees faster that way? My reason for asking is that my oldest sister (83) had her knee replaced about 12 years ago. She was told at the time that the new knee would last about 10 years. She is now experiencing the knee pain again the way she did before her replacement. I would like to keep my new knees a little longer....
Maybe hers was "older technology"? Thank you in advance for any reply and opinion.

This forum has been so informative and helpful before and after my surgery. I have recommended it to many people considering a knee replacement. Thank you again for everything.

Muldoh

Country
Hi Annelie! Thank you so much for sharing your one year report!! It sounds like you’re doing great, and it gives me hope for my journey (11 weeks so far). I just saw my OS for a follow up, and he told me that the expectation for the newer products, based on recent studies, is 20 years. That sounded good to me!

sistersinhim

Country
The newer knee implants are said to last up to 30 years or longer. What will wear out the plastic component quicker is pounding movements like running and jumping. I don't think stairs would be a problem at all for your implants.

OP
OP
Annelie

Annelie

Country
Thank you both so much for your replies. At my age, 20 years is just fine. Now I feel better about using the stairs.
I had my left TKR done in June '18 and my right in Sept. '19.
Both kneecaps are somewhat uncomfortable when going downstairs. I wonder if this is always going to be this way? Going up all those stairs is no problem at all.
Even if going down will always be this way, it's ok. My TKR's were definetly worth it.
Again, thank you for all your help and incouragement during my recoveries.

Oregon mom

Country
My surgeon told me a story (about three times :whistle:) He has two boys at home.
He said, "I love both my sons, of course. But some days, I love one more than I love the other one if you know what I mean. Your knees will be like that."
I really love the Recovery Chart that @Celle posted! It really feels that way. It is so hard to relax into what truly is a long adventure. But as you see in the very scientific chart, you do get there!
So here's some dancing baby penguins!
:happyfeet::happyfeet::happyfeet::happyfeet::happyfeet:

Mrs. Ciz

Country
The newer knee implants are said to last up to 30 years or longer. What will wear out the plastic component quicker is pounding movements like running and jumping. I don't think stairs would be a problem at all for your implants.
I am really happy to hear that newer implants are lasting 30+ years. That was my biggest concern about having both knees replaced at 54 years old. I don’t want to have this hellish surgery a second time if I can help it. But with 2 bone on bone knees and lots of arthritis, I couldn’t wait any longer. Waiting would have risked messing up my hips and back, and would have kept me on the sidelines of life. I wanted my active life back!!!!

Oregon mom

Country
Wow 30 years? I keep hearing 15-20 years. I guess it depends on the patient too. I went in at age 47 banking on hopefully 20 years. I'm all but guaranteed a revision or two, but if that means I can live a better life now, I'll make that sacrifice later.

OP
OP
Annelie

Annelie

Country
Thank you to everybody for your input. I'm so happy to have found this helpful forum.
Oregon mom, I wish you good luck. Hopefully, your TKR's will last a lot longer than expected.

Peaches0000

Country
Hi Annelie, I texted my OS Dr. today and after reading your post, ( I called about needing antibiotics for a dental appt this monday, he must totally regret sending me a text during Covid on his cell phone, LOL) because his office did not call them in, and asked him how long he thought my 2 new knees would last? He has written textbooks and actually helped design my new knees and he said, they expect them to last at least 30 years! Of course, I am not a super athlete, I do not run everyday, play soccer, like I used to, or ski, I am just happy just to walk a lot, be able to do my demanding job, etc, but I am going to be 69 in 4 months, so what the hay? I will gladly take 30 more years of no pain, playing with my 6 Grands, traveling to Europe twice a year, etc. so thanks for your post, I am so glad that I asked him.

OP
OP
Annelie

Annelie

Country
Wow, Peaches0000, your OS Doc is quite empressive. So good to hear his opinion. Thanks for sharing it. I am very happy with my 2 new knees also. TKR's were definetely worth it. Good luck with your continued good recovery.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Femur_guy
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom