TKR Falling after TKR

Strangely, I haven't had any zingers with this second knee where I remember them with my first knee. :unsure: I also get the weirdest sensation when I shave around my scar. I can really feel those nerves trying to "reach across the aisle" or across the scar from the left side to the right.

Strangely, I haven't had any zingers with this second knee where I remember them with my first knee. :unsure: I also get the weirdest sensation when I shave around my scar. I can really feel those nerves trying to "reach across the aisle" or across the scar from the left side to the right.
Oh me too! The sensation is so weird, I'd rather leave it and go au naturel for the time being. :heehee:

I think today, is the very first day after two and a half months post op, that I can say, 'yes, maybe it was a good idea to have a TKR'.

'It's' still stiff as a board after sitting for a couple of hours [Duplicate Bridge online today] but after a few seconds, once moving, the stiffness almost disappears and there is no discomfort.

Interesting.

Hamstring is still a b...er though! :)
Oh and three hours sleep last night is getting almost a chronic problem. Still won't resort to sleeping tablets.

I recently started taking Tylenol PM at bedtime instead of just regular Tylenol and it has helped immensely with my sleep issues. Maybe you could try that.

FourCats
Rubyroo

We have different medications in the UK, eg, no Tylenol, and even the same brand name can be different.

For instance, Benadryl in the US is a great sleep aid, as I found out when a Walgreen pharmacist suggested it to me when ingested prawns took over my skin. Over here, the brand doesn't contain the drowsy element. I stocked up on the product when we were last in the US but that was now, three years ago and I used it for it's correct usage as an antihistamine. I have a friend coming over in three months time, hopefully. She will bring me some more supplies. Until then I'll go and get some Night Nurse. It's been suggested to me as an aid. It';s new territory for me as I am usually a reasonable sleeper but lack of activity [ Covid restrictions, not my knee] has had an effect.

Melatonin is available in the UK, prescription only and I don't want to make my lack of sleep, a doctor issue. I am functioning.

Thanks for thinking of me though, Appreciate it. :)

@Scaredycat10 I'm a bit like you in the sense of reluctance to take medicated sleep aids, ( I have witnessed first hand the long term side effects- my MIL has taken them over 50 years) and all they now do is make her a tad zombie like and unfortunately she isn't sleeping most nights she is now 84 years old.
Have you tried any herbal remedies or pillow aids I think lavender sachets are supposed to help. However, I do recall from my 1st surgery I did eventually, many, many months after, I eventually got a full night's sleep, as you can see, now on my 2nd surgery, I'm awake most nights from 4-5am ( European time) onwards, I think it comes with the package of a tkr, plus the more we do daytime relates on how active our knees become at night-time.:mcoffee::tiredwheel:

Sara61
I know I'm not on my own here. It's very frustrating isn't it! especially as I have a week's worth of Zopiclone still unopened but in date from my serious eczema bout two years ago after a horsefly set up a disastrous skin reaction.
I have moved into a spare room and at the moment, I can see it as a forever move and I don't like the thought.
Night time leg problems [fingers crossed] haven't been an issue now for around two weeks so I can probably tick that one of the issues list. I hope.

Baby steps and all that.
x

I'm so sorry you aren't sleeping very well...... are you able to nap during the day? Or does that set you up for more trouble at night? I will say I tried using Tylenol PM for awhile as my Tylenol dosage when I went to bed and it did NOTHING to help me fall asleep. Hubby tried it the other day too when he was trying to get some sleep and his body was not cooperating. It kept him awake, he said. I'm not sure if we got a bad batch or what.....:unsure:

I recently tried Tylenol PM because I wasn’t sleeping well. It didn’t help me sleep but the antihistamine in it really dried my eyes out, they actually hurt for half a day. I guess because I didn’t need it for that purpose. I do have dry eye syndrome but I never expected that reaction from the Tylenol PM. Of course I’d bought the bigger economy size. :doh:I gave it to my cousin who does like it.

I take 1 tylenol pm nightly! I sleep really good with it! I did read that if you have restless legs, not to use it!

All of the PM medicines - Tylenol, Advil, etc., contain the pain reliever plus Diphenhydramine. That is generic name for Benadryl. It makes most people sleepy but has the opposite effect on some. I am one of those people. Sounds like it is true for quite a few too. Antihistamines dry you out so I get why they might effect dry eye.

Latest from me.

I can honestly say now, my TKR has been successful.

I go to the gym twice a week with my physio and am back to vertical leg pressing 60kg. I tried the leg extension machine three weeks ago and couldn't even lift it with my left leg. Today I managed a 100 reps. The exercises are paying off.

but

I still have a popliteal/hamstring problem. It doesn't stop me doing my day to day things but it is hampering my knee flex which would be almost normal if it wasn't for the knife in the back of the knee when I go for a real bend. I can walk up stairs with no problem. Down, I am still one step/one step leading with the operated leg, although I am using my aerobic Reebok step for practising leading with my right leg. It's the back of my knee which is causing the problem, not the joint itself.

My physio said to stick with it for a few more weeks as my leg gets stronger and if it's still problematic, she will get in touch with my surgeon for advice. If needs be, I'll go back and see him. I cant rotate the bike pedals first thing in the gym so I've turned my routine round and at the end of the session, there is no pain at all when I rotate on the bike. This leads her to believe it's tightness rather than a need for surgical intervention.

All a bit of a 'pain' but the focus of the leg was the new knee and that has been a total success. I'm still sleeping badly but rarely get up now so that's a step forward.
The only tablet I take. for the right knee now is Naproxen, alternating each day 250gm/500gm which considering I was on 750 -1000 mg a day prior to the op, isn't bad at all.

The knee is still a bit tight and I still have to push the car seat back to get in. I take the crutch with me when I go for a walk but carry it rather than use it. I do feel a bit daft occasionally but it's there if I have a wobble, which I haven't done for weeks now.
I take it with me in the gym as I don't use the lift any more and it does help me up and down the stairs.

My husband is now on 6mthly checks from his oncologist rather than the expected 3mths so that's brilliant progress.

All in all, not a bad report from me. In fact, pretty good.

I will report on my 'posterior knee problem' as and when changes happen.

Thanks for reading.

@Scaredycat10 I'm pretty much at the same stage with walking stick - yes or no. My physio suggested a foldable stick, which can be kept to hand in a suitable shopping bag. Also feel daft carrying an ordinary stick!

@Scaredycat10 I'm pretty much at the same stage with walking stick - yes or no. My physio suggested a foldable stick, which can be kept to hand in a suitable shopping bag. Also feel daft carrying an ordinary stick!
I have a folding stick but didn't think of using it. Dohhhhh!
Thanks for the reminder.

I had some pretty strong thumbs in the back of my knee today. Ouch. Amazing how much it helped my angle of flexation though.
I'm pretty pleased with my progress overall.

Just wish I could sleep.

About sleep - I took the naughty way out early on after surgery and started to take a sleeping pill. Hoping to cut it in half soon and eventually wean myself off it. Thought if - as well as all the other tough things - I couldn't sleep it would be really the pits.

I have Zopiclone here, still just about in date but I can't bring myself to take it. I took half a tablet a while back but no more since. A dear friend has gone out to the US to stay with her daughter. I have asked her for a present. US Benadryl.

I might take that when she comes back. I managed five hours last night which was amazing but then two sleepless nights and a good gym session might have had some effect. I make sure I have loads of books by the bed. I used to be able to read myself to sleep and hopefully, that 'skill' might eventually return.
Always looking for good news, I have no more zingers, aches or pains when in bed, from 'the knee'. I do try to concentrate on the pluses rather than moans. After three months, folk expect 'you' to be over the worst, which I am, and be upbeat, which I try to be.

l can't find the smilies, so consider a smiley face here!

Five hours with benefit of tablets is not bad at all! And Benadryl sounds a much gentler option than the heavy stuff, probably just as effective. You certainly deserve smilies, funny, I can't find them either.... maybe this works :)

I had an 'interesting' experience yesterday.

Went out for lunch with some girl friends and had to go on the loo [I know, TMI but bear with me]. No crutches as they weren't needed, or so I thought.

This is honestly the first time I've eaten out [it was outside but under cover] since this blasted Omicron stuff reared its ugly head.

I had to use the loo. Plonked down, literally and then had the most horrendous thought.

How do I get up!!!

I did, by grabbing the door handle and prayed the handle wouldn't give way as I hauled myself up. It didn't and I rejoined my friends.

Moral of the story is, make sure you have help to hand when sitting on a low loader!! :heehee:

ps
My physio laughed out loud and has added 'loo practice', sitting up and down on varying heights of benches, to my routine.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks