TKR TKR Scaredycat10's recovery

hawk2go

Staff member since January 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
I think it might be a combination of energy going to healing (instead of body temp regulation) and constant icing. I find I'm reaching for my heavy fleece robe a lot less these days despite the cooler temps outside.

OP
OP
S

Scaredycat10

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@hawk2go

As I have mentioned before, during the day I have the bizarre set up of iced knee, hot water bottle on quads and a fleece throw over my lap.
Night time, the electric throw[new purchase] on top of my duvet, plus hot water bottles [I hardly knew what they were for pre op] help to keep me comfy for the few hours I spend in bed.

Darn it!!!!

Catalien45

senior
Country
I was often Super cold in my early days after the TKR. I often slept with the ice on all night, still wonder if that might have been part of the problem, as I don’t get nearly as cold now. But... if my feet get cold, I am miserable! I have several pairs of thermal Sox, which help, but l Love your idea of a beanbag heated in the microwave! I must try that!

OP
OP
S

Scaredycat10

senior
Country
@Catalien45 I'm the opposite. If my feet are hot, I can’t sleep. Just like now in fact.
Be careful with microwaveable hotties. They can become too hot without you realising it…until you put them next to your skin.

OP
OP
S

Scaredycat10

senior
Country
Another little milestone.

I changed the beds...all on my own!

Now this may not sound particularly exotic but my sister has changed the sheets for me over the last two months as we have big beds and difficult to move.

Life is getting back to normal. Ish. :)

Turkey crown is in the fridge defrosting [bought pre op as there were 'going to be a shortage of turkeys in the UK' ], all the shopping is done, we are on an NHS 'list' for anti virals [ due to his cancer treatment] should my husband get Covid so relations are testing and I'm going nowhere.

Can't believe it's Christmas Eve tomorrow.

Sara61

Staff member since March 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Portugal Portugal
:banana-santa:Well done, it's the small achievement that we make daily that proves to us that there is a light at the of the tunnel, feels so good doesn't it :yes!:
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

OP
OP
S

Scaredycat10

senior
Country
:banana-santa:Well done, it's the small achievement that we make daily that proves to us that there is a light at the of the tunnel, feels so good doesn't it :yes!:
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
Thank you Sara

and the same to you.
x

DEL2022Jan-23

senior
@Scaredycat10 I absolutely love the little milestones that help us on our way! You are doing fantastic!
My turkey crown is also defrosting and my ham will have a nice long rest in the slow cooker tomorrow- Christmas day it will be baked in its sweet and spicy overcoat!
Can’t you tell it’s my favourite time of the year:wreath:
Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas :presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

OP
OP
S

Scaredycat10

senior
Country
Oh BOY

Have I gone through some ice this afternoon. Admittedly, a very small proportion was in a stiff G&T but the rest was in my Cryo Cuff, on constant replenishment.

This morning, I have set the table [just about remembered how to set a 'dinner party' table as opposed to our cosy every day dinners], made the stuffing, peeled the spuds, trimmed the sprouts boiled up chicken wings and de greased the essence ready for the gravy [I might be a poor cook but I do ACE gravy from scratch] tomorrow. I have prepared the veg [OK, got the M&S microwaveable pkt ready] and checked the roasties are in the Kitchen freezer.

I have found the cheap brandy for the pud and sauce [got 'told off' two years ago for using the Remy XO!! -well I don't drink the stuff so how was I to know it's not brandy sauce quality] and generally was on my feet for around three hours all told.

My knee, wasn't impressed. So, my electric recliner, a re run of Love Actually and now White Christmas, with a hot water bottle, my ice machine and a G&T.

Sorted.

Hope everyone's day goes as well as it can do tomorrow.

Happy Christmas Bone Smarties.
And thank you for your company.

from a not quite so Scaredycat.
x

Catalien45

senior
Country
Hi, @ Scaredycat10..... in the summer, I do agree with you.....can’t stand hot feet. But, I seem to notice the cold in general a lot more than I used to. But I’ve Always found cold feet really miserable.. Ohhhh..... your gravy sounds delicious! I must say, good gravy is one of my favorite parts of a roast chicken, beef, etc. . And turkey gravy ..... Have some extra for me! @ Eire 1... your ham sounds yummy too. We’ll have baked salmon,and, I’m bringing some sliced ham. We have a particular one that is Really good, & our local store only seems to carry it at Christmas & Easter. Looking forward to that.
I’m about to nod off for a short nap. We had our annual cookie/sprinkle mess, as I call it last night & this morning with our daughter & 6 year old grandson, & they spent the night. After he was asleep, the 3 of us sat in the kitchen & talked...and talked. So, very late bedtime... we are both Bushed! I believe this is the aftermath of an ODIC day! But it was wonderful & worth it. ❤️have a wonderful Christmas, both of you, & everyone else!

OP
OP
S

Scaredycat10

senior
Country
Back to the gym for me. Triple masked in order to try and ward off the pesky virus droplets.

This Christmas Day hostess with the mostess and a new knee spent yesterday icing and regretting the lack of an exercise regime.

My knee is SO stiff and whole lower leg is aching, hence the usual lack of sleep.

OP
OP
S

Scaredycat10

senior
Country
Took my husband for an oncologist appointment yesterday and as it's a long walk, I was a bit concerned about me pushing the wheelchair, so I strapped my knee up in a neoprene open patella wrap.

OMGoodness. What a difference.

I'm still not confident enough to go out walking with out the crutches, whether the usage is an actual physical aid or just a psychological one I'm not sure but I daren't leave them behind.

I will now. My knee felt totally stable wrapped up so this is my next step on the TKR journey.

If the popliteal pain would disappear!

Not been to the gym whilst the children have been off due to this new variant as I don't want to bring it home, and have suffered a bit for that but back tomorrow with a physio hour, part treatment and part gym.

WFD

Country
I also have some of those neoprene wraps, the kind with the criss-cross and encircling straps, and they are very helpful if I have to be on my feet doing something. Unfortunately I cannot wear them all day, as they get uncomfortable fast.

I still have some swelling, and when I remove the wrap you can see a reverse impression of the wrap molded into my knee, temporarily.

Because they are impermeable and you sweat inside them, they get smelly quickly and I wash them frequently to avoid skin problems. Don't want a skin infection so close to the bad knee.

Complicated

Country
So. grateful for the remarks, at different stages of recovery. Appreciate the up and down of it all!

OP
OP
S

Scaredycat10

senior
Country
I also have some of those neoprene wraps, the kind with the criss-cross and encircling straps, and they are very helpful if I have to be on my feet doing something. Unfortunately I cannot wear them all day, as they get uncomfortable fast.

I still have some swelling, and when I remove the wrap you can see a reverse impression of the wrap molded into my knee, temporarily.

Because they are impermeable and you sweat inside them, they get smelly quickly and I wash them frequently to avoid skin problems. Don't want a skin infection so close to the bad knee.
I found out pretty quickly years ago how sweaty the skin gets under neoprene. It didn't seem to matter pre knee linear decoration. Now, I wear the wrap just for walking out of the house as I don't want to the scar to get 'upset'.
I can't stress enough though, how wonderful the knee feels with it on although my physio isn't a huge fan for my knee at the moment, her reasoning being I might get too used to wearing it.
Consequently, I only wear it when I want to be a brave bunny and walk without a crutch [now down to one and even then, I don't use it as I used to, it's a support now rather than a requirement] and when I do my leg exercises in the gym.

I have added glute exercises to my regime. So that's hamstring, quads and now glutes. It's never ending and I STILL have the behind knee strain although the car seat doesn't have to be quite as far back for me to get in and out.

Basically, the new knee is fine, it's the rest of the leg which is crock! Sadly.

Oh and I still can't sleep.

Apart from that, I'm fine!!!!!!!:heehee:

OP
OP
S

Scaredycat10

senior
Country
I think I have just had my first 'zinger'.

Just sitting in the recliner after dinner, legs up and minding my own business with a good book and heck, like a needle jabbing into the kneecap.
Certainly enough to wake me up if this happened in the middle of the night.

I hope that's the first and the last!

I am now wondering if it's a bit of the numbness 'going'.

Last edited:

Starsfan22

senior
Country
I can't say with confidence that zingers are healing anything. I've never noticed improvement after a series of zingers.

Sara61

Staff member since March 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Portugal Portugal
You are lucky you've only had them after a couple of months ...I've been getting them on and off since week 4 :flabber: and they don't half take ones breath away. Thankfully only momentarily but plus side is we know are nerves are healing xx

OP
OP
S

Scaredycat10

senior
Country
I am looking at the zinger [singular at the moment] as a positive. Very much an 'ouch' but it tells me the knee is 'alive'.

I'm also getting pins and needles occasionally in the outer knee cap where it's numb. It's not ouch but it's definitely a weird feeling.

I am down to one crutch when out walking and a jolly good job I had it yesterday. For some reason, the knee had a wobble moment and I'm sure I would have fallen if I hadn't had the crutch. Possibly my fault for not paying attention [a good sign in a way] to my walking but a reminder my knee is still very new.

Hamstring is still a major problem but the joint is doing well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lyla
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom