Revision TKR TKR revision

@agsmom ...thanks so much for keeping us posted with your journey. As someone who also had a TKR revision, I'm thrilled yours is over and pray you have a successful recovery. Keep icing, elevating, resting and taking your meds!

Saw the doc today for my two week follow up. He’s happy with my progress and wants me to concentrate on walking correctly instead of walking a lot. I had severe valgus knee going into surgery so I have to consciously walk without letting the knee collapse in. He’s not concerned about range of motion but I’m only at 90, 16 days post surgery. He did say he’ll bring me in for mua if we need to. Question, at what point should I be concerned about ROM? I’ve read as much as I’ve been able to find on it and am under the impression that ROM continues to improve over a long period of time. Is there a point that I should be concerned in the short term?

Reactions: shr
90 degrees at 16 days is fabulous - don’t worry.

Many surgeons say as long as you are at 90 degrees at 6 weeks no more surgery is needed, and you are 26 days ahead of schedule.

Don’t worry about it until the six week point.

Is there a point that I should be concerned in the short term?
No, there is no need to be concerned. Not even at 6 weeks. That is still very early days in this recovery and many take months to regain ROM. Mine continued to improve well into my second year, and even more in my third year. 90 at two weeks is great!

@Jockette I ran across a ROM progression someone posted. It ranged into the second year, I think. Now I can’t find it. Do you know what I’m referring to? If so, would you mind sending it to me? Thanks!

It was probably my post, #24 above.

The person who posted the one I’m referring to listed ROM numbers over many months (was over a two + year period) and said some of the admins have used it in the past. Do you have numbers posted somewhere? I just want to share them with my husband and my PT.

@Jockette
CB676828-7560-4E9B-9869-05DFAF87CE44.png

@Cbet thank you! I read the thread incorrectly and thought Jockette sent it. I get so excited every time I see progressions like these - my ROM wasn’t great after the first surgery so this makes me so much more hopeful!

Last edited:
For those of you who have used the Lounge Doctor leg rest, did you have issues with a sore ankle on your surgical leg? I’m sleeping with my legs elevated on it and positioning as instructed and I bought the correct size for my height. I’m waking up with my ankle hurting. Wondering if there’s a trick to keep this from happening?Tonight will be night seven using it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I contacted the company and the customer service rep I spoke to had no advice.

I didn’t have any issues with it but I’m wondering if it has to do with swelling? Wish I had an answer.

Marie

@agsmom , is the weight of the blanket on your foot pulling it into extension and making the ankle sore? Some people use big pillows to make a tunnel to support the blankets. I just fluffed them up and it seemed to work.

Or, is your foot and ankle hanging off the end of the Lounge Doctor? If so that could be it.

I ave ankle pain caused by a compressed peroneal nerve, which also causes pain down the entire outside of my shin.

@WFD it’s not the blanket. That’s something that drives me crazy so I checked that first. I think it’s just an awkward position - they instruct you to position your leg in a way that your heel hangs over the edge of the leg rest. It was a little better last night so maybe my body is getting used to it. Thanks for the advice and info. I hope you’re ankle and shin pain goes away soon!

Hi everyone, it has been a while so thought I’d post an update and, of course, a question. Knee is doing well I think. It’s painful today but I sense it’s because we have storms moving in. I am still using a walker because my PT wants me to take it really slow since I had so many issues last time around -she says no need to hurry, just concentrate on walking correctly. I’m terrified that when I begin to put all of my weight on the leg that I will feel the shifting again. It has been very hard to back off of the pressure on my hands because of this. But I’m making progress, slowly but surely.

Question about extension: I know there isn’t as much of a hurry to gain ROM as many docs and PTs would have us believe. Just curious if there really is less time on extension than flexion. I’ve been told there is. If so, how urgent is it? I’m working on it but it’s going slowly. I’m four weeks out. My last measurement was over a week ago and it was 4.

As always, thanks in advance for any input or advice. I hope this day finds you all improving and feeling positive!

Just curious if there really is less time on extension than flexion. I’ve been told there is.
No that's not correct. In fact, for most people, regaining extension takes longer than gaining flexion.

That said, please don't believe anyone who tells you that you need to achieve a certain number by a particular date. That's nonsense!

There are NO TIME LIMITS for range of motion (which includes both extension and flexion). We have members who have reported improvement well into their second year of recovery -- as you can see from a post that was shared with you recently.

I agree with @benne68, there is no date by which you should be at any number. I don’t even know why some PTs are taught this, and/or believe it.

And anyway, 4 is not that far from 0, and at only 4 weeks post op, you’re doing fine! :thumb:

My extension was slower coming in than my bend was. To work on this, all I did was to walk with a longer stride, with a heel-to-toe gait. This stretches out those big tendons and muscles behind the knee. It took a while to get to zero, but I didn't care. I was still able to do the things I was able to do before hitting the zero mark. I didn't concentrate on numbers, just function. After all, we want to do the things we want and need to do. That's why we have this surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back