Revision TKR Poly plate exchange

You sound like me I stayed in th house for most of 8 weeks except for Doc’s. I am at a little over 11 weeks tried to go meet fiends last Friday actually put on make up everything except my heels . I made it about 30 minutes
before it hit once again. I don’t like the idea either that this recovery is so long. I rarely sleep more than 2 to 3 and half hours on bed. Last night was really feeling good my knee was not hurting so bad now here I am setting my recliner leg up with a ice wrap. I hate your knee hurts but I could t imagine going in Costco an walking for that long. Everyone tells me not to over do time just take time,I do know I can tell I am getting better and you are about two weeks behind me so hopefully you are starting to round that corner to feeling better. Good luck:idea:

Last edited:
Consider taking a short walk, or two, during the day. Like Karrie said, just five minutes. In a few days, unless your knees are very unhappy with the walks, work up to ten minutes. The next week, you can walk a little further and longer.

Many good things happen with walking. Your knees move (always good); you master your new gait and balance; and you work on stamina. My stamina post-surgery was pathetic. Combined with the energy drain, a walk in Costco would have wiped me out. My first trip to the grocery store was just produce and one aisle. I spent most of that trip sitting on a bench and waiting for my husband.

We tend to feel better before we actually are better. We feel like we can do things but... we really aren’t quite ready. It’s easy to try to do to much. You are rounding a corner, so rein in those horses and take the scenic route.

@SusieShoes
We tend to feel better before we actually are better. We feel like we can do things but... we really aren’t quite ready. It’s easy to try to do to much. You are rounding a corner, so rein in those horses and take the
Good morning, I have been quite for the past couple of days, I had my first night where I actually slept in my own bed for nearly 6 hours Tuesday I could not believe it:shrug:. It was crazy I woke up on Wednesday morning nearly pain free this was a shock:what:. I did not take but 2 pain pills on Wednesday one about mid day my knee started giving me a twinge so just for prevention I took a pain pill didn’t want to get any pain starting. That night now mind all day was so before I went to bed I took pain pill just precaution went to bed went right to sleep,woke up in the night around 3 a.m couldn’t go back to sleep finally got up at 5a.m still not a lot of pain,just a deep dull act. So smarty panties heads out to do errands gone for about 4 hours still doing good. So I cooked for myself and husband dinner and cleaned up mess:dubious:. Then it hit extreme fatigue still not a lot of pain same deep dull ache.I realize what all I had done around 7p.m and fell out in recliner. I guess what I am trying to get at where did the awful pain go:what::scratch::what:. Now here it is Friday morning slept nearly all night except for one incident where I turned to my side having a little pain then back to sleep until nearly 6 a.m in a little pain took a pain pill and sat down to write this long post but I remembered something you had said about feeling good right before you really are,so is the quiet before I really get better . Tired is good I can deal with it better than pain. Sorry for such a windy post but I can’t get over the difference it seems like over night:wowspring:

It can happen this way (and feels wonderful, doesn't it?). A knee can suddenly become almost pain-free and then, just as quickly, decide to be painful again for a week or two, and then go back to being pain-free (mine did this a bit).

But what happens most often is the person to whom the knee belongs to is so happy to have a new, good knee they head right for.... the Over Did It Club.

Your knee is telling you it's doing all right. You've been resting it and letting it heal and that's been working. Your knee is shedding its swelling and entering less painful territory. It's in that stage where the pain will come right back if it gets pushed more than it likes. It's also in that stage where recovery can be more pleasant and, if you continue whatever you've been doing right (rest, icing, elevation, gentle exercise) your knee will consolidate its gains and become even better and stronger and less painful. It's still a recovering knee --very much so-- but it's ready to move from critically-injured-knee to knee-on-the-mend.

Your job now is to help it make the transition by continuing to be gentle and letting it heal some more while moderately upping your activity: a little more walking, moderate housework, occasional outings (but please avoid long hours of shopping or strenuous mountain hikes for a while yet). This is the stage of recovery where people who might not have tried to do too much before, do too much. You still have an energy drain to deal with, too!

Here's hoping you turned the corner and this continues. Just remember if it doesn't continue, your knee will get back to this place again because it's already shown you it can. :happydance: Very happy for you!

Susie is right, even though the worst of the pain seems gone, finding a good balance can be difficult. Remember to rest/elevate for the same amount of time you’ve been up and about, that’s the beginning of balance. But I’m so glad you’ve noticed a change! What a relief to sleep also!

@SusieShoes Thank you for your response, I sure hope I have turned the corner. I will continue you to take it easy
I am doing my Christmas shopping online this year, I have a very small family just my husband and our daughters husband and our 3 grandchildren. Thanksgiving is his family so I good there. So I am taking it ease today not doing anything if I feel like it may make some fudge,I have been craving some homemade fudge so made I dreamt
I ate whole platter.:rofsign:wish you o o were here so you could have some with me:yahoo:

Tomorrow is 9 weeks postop.I am taking 50mg Tramadal with 2 tylenol about every 5 hours. A couple of times I hit 6 hours. At times I have taken Advil in between, it has helped sometimes. The pain in the back of my knee is getting worse. This regimen is just barely keeping my knee pain covered. Doesn’t seem to be to swollen. I am getting out a little more but short intervals.
Grocery store runs mostly, maybe 30 minutes max. Trying to work up to walking more as I
return to work in 3 weeks. Being in school I will be on my feet most of the time. My husband is in between jobs right now so does the cleaning and cooking. I walk around straightening up and doing minor cleaning. (like Lysol wipes on the counter- lol)

Sharing my details as I am feeling anxious about returning to work and feel like I’m still
progressing slow. I’m still on a cane!!

Can you return to work and use a cane? I know some professions won’t allow canes for various reasons. But if you can, well... bling out that cane and use it! Walking is good for building back your leg strength, so definitely keep with your plan to walk more as able.

For nine weeks, you’re doing really well.

Yes, I can return using a cane. I just didn’t expect that this long. Not sure what’s going on with the back of the knee and why at 9 weeks I’m still taking pain meds only at 5 hour intervals. I do sleep through the night but when I do wake up it’s a race to use some ice, yogurt and take something for pain then.

It's still very early in your recovery. Many people still need to takes some pain medication for 3-4 months.

And keep using the cane for as long as you need it. It's just a tool and there are no prizes for giving it up early. It's much better to use the cane than to risk a fall.

Even after I no longer needed the cane for everyday use, I would still use it in crowds or when the ground was rough or slippery underfoot. It was useful for making people keep their distance in crowds and for warding off rushing people and dogs :dogwalk:.

For 8 weeks out you are doing great! Hang on to that cane as long as you need it. I still keep one in my car for those 'just in case' times!

9 1/2 weeks postop still using a cane. I know I
keep wining about this but it’s not for “just in case” I am continually trying to walk in the house without it but don’t get very far. I’m not walking right without it. Hurts to much to walk through the step without it. I’m worried!!!

You might want to continue with the cane, especially since you are still taking pain meds...

I’m not walking right without it.
You need to use your cane, with out the cane you will reinforce not walking right.
Keep using the cane, develop good walking habits. As you heal and strengthen naturally your walking will improve and you will be able to leave the cane behind.

Everyone heals differently in this yearlong or more recovery, the hardest part of recovery is patience, waiting for our knee to heal. In the end it will be well worth the time and patience.

I still use my cane in crowded situations, especially this time of year when shoppers can be crazy! There's absolutely nothing wrong with you using yours. It's much better to instill a good walking form from the start. Also, it's better than falling down!

Please stop worrying so much. It's not helping your healing. Stress slows it down! Just relax and let your knee set its own pace. We all have had to do that.

9 1/2 weeks postop still using a cane. I know I
keep wining about this but it’s not for “just in case” I am continually trying to walk in the house without it but don’t get very far. I’m not walking right without it. Hurts to much to walk through the step without it. I’m worried!!!
It's quite OK to be still using a cane. It's just a tool and there are no prizes for getting off it fast. Use it as long as you need it, certainly until you can walk with a correct gait without it.

Even after I no longer needed my cane daily, I still used it in crowds, or when the ground was wet, uneven or slippery underfoot.

It's much better to keep using your cane than to develop a bad walking habit, or to have a fall.

Okay 11 weeks, I’m going to whine!!:bawl:
Still using the cane!!! It’s still because I
cannot walk correctly without, and it is
more painful without. Have been going to PT twice a week. The therapist says it’s okay just keep trying at home when you can. So, I’m determined to use it as little as possible at home, and it is almost impossible. Has ANYBODY had this same problem??

I think your PT is right--just keep trying a little bit every day without it--preferably where you have counters or other support handy if you need it. It really will be a pretty natural progression until you don't need the cane. My PT was like yours and said there was no set "deadline" to finish with the cane.

Use the cane until you no longer need it and don’t fret about there being any kind of timeframe for not using it. Your knee is still healing, the pain tells you that, and if it needs to heal more before you can walk correctly, so be it. Your PT is right that you can just work on this at home as able.

It’s natural to get frustrated by still needing a device you want to be rid of. Maybe you can put some holiday bling on that cane and have fun with it? :re-snowman:

Yikes, went to OS yesterday for 3 month check. She said being on the cane meant my knee wasn't strong
enough. Wrote a new order for the PT to "ramp it up some" She was pleased with ROM and extension. I had to see the PA., not sure if my OS would have said the same! I told her that the PT had said it was getting stronger. PT Had told me it was taking more time since my pain level was high in the beginning.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back