Revision TKR Poly plate exchange

It’s fine for now, helps me to stay positive!
Thank you!

Just taking the Tramadal and Tylenol regimen. Now my nausea is back! Using phernegren for that. Have you dewith nausea with Tramadal? Running out of options!!:tantrum:

Yes, Tramadol did make me nauseated - all those strong pain relief medicines do.

I didn't stop taking Tramadol, because I needed it for pain relief, but my own doctor did prescribe some anti-nausea medication for me (Zofran) which I took for as long as I needed the Tramadol.

Okay, that’s what I’m going to keep doing, I guess. I need something! At least the Tramadol is not as hard on me as the Percoset was. Thanks for sharing.:) :-) (:

I am 7 weeks postop, and still using a cane. Once again, comparing to my last replacement,
I was not using a cane at this point. I did drive the short distance to PT today, was a struggle getting in and out of the car. Went to the grocery store yesterday for just a few things and purposely walking around the perimeter of the store and up and down several isles. My husband was with me and had to turn over the cart to him as it was making it harder to walk. I could walk through the steps better with a cane. Going to PT twice a week. She is not concerned and takes things slow with me.

I am 7 weeks postop, and still using a cane. Once again, comparing to my last replacement,
I was not using a cane at this point.
There's nothing wrong with still using a cane at 7 weeks. It's just a tool and there are no prizes for getting off it early. Use it as long as you feel you need it. It's much better to do that than to risk a fall, and you should continue to use it until you can walk with a normal gait.

Even after I no longer needed the cane, I would still use it in crowds and when the ground was wet or slippery underfoot. It's useful for making people give you enough room and it help to ward off rushing children and dogs. :dogwalk:
I kept a folding cane in my car - in fact, I think it's still there.

That’s the thing, I still do need it. I can’t take but a few steps without it trying to walk heel to toe. It’s very painful, even if my pain seems to be controlled. PT therapist has had me try walking on plank with parrell bars. She saw I tried. That was last week. She didn’t say anything about it this week. Just getting concerned I can’t walk without it at this point due to pain I’m trying.

PT therapist has had me try walking on plank with parrell bars. She saw I tried. That was last week. She didn’t say anything about it this week. Just getting concerned I can’t walk without it at this point due to pain I’m trying.
What your PT had you do was ridiculous.
Stop worrying about using the cane. You'll give it up when your knee is ready for you to do that. Tell your therapist that and ask her to stop bugging you about it - does she want to be responsible for you having a fall?

When you're ready to give up the cane, you'll find that you start leaving it behind as you move from one place to another. Until then, and especially until you can walk heel to toe naturally without much pain, you need the cane.
That time will come!

Remember that this recovery is a year-long journey. You have all the time in the world and there's no need to hurry.

I need to rephrase my statement. The therapist had me walk , after I told her my concern about using the cane and unable to walk without it due to pain. My plan is to return to work at 12 weeks ( 8 weeks postop on the 14th.) I work at a middle school as a para with the teacher so am on my feet a good bit of the day. Only having 4 more weeks, my concern is being able to go back, the fact that I am still using a cane!

Where you are now is not where you'll be in 4 weeks' time, though! A lot can happen in that time.

I agree with @Celle - you will continue to see improvement over the next 4 weeks. I was still using a cane at 8 weeks for any walking beyond short walks around the house. Until you begin to build up a little more strength in your quads, hamstrings, glutes, etc. your new knee is bearing the brunt of your walking, so the cane is giving you much needed support and assistance - not to mention stability (much like the railings do when you go up and down stairs). It was also much easier for me to focus on good walking form when I had the cane.

Your the first to share that, thank you! How long did you use the cane last 8 weeks? I’m suppose to go back in 4 more weeks. I’m on my feet most of the day, not sure about that.

I used the cane for around 8 weeks, particularly when I went out of the house. It just helps you concentrate on your walking and gives you added security.
In 4 weeks I bet you will be fine.

You say you're on your feet most of the day at work. See if you can sit down in between--even for a few minutes at a time.

I probably used it fairly regularly for at least 10 weeks. I had a very weak quad muscle and my leg "wobbled" or buckled frequently when I walked for long distances. I have a desk job with just short walks throughout the day so did not need it as much at work. I still use hiking poles for hiking.

8 weeks tomorrow. I got out to go to Cosco (big warehouse shopping) with husband driving. Walked around with my cane for close to 30 minutes. On the way home was hurting with shooting pains in knee. Home and iced it for an hour, now I am elevating again. Maybe this is the most I have consistently walked in 8 weeks. Shouldn’t be to much at this point! I work in the school and am returning in 4 weeks! :unsure:

Thirty minutes at one time is quite a a lot at this point, especially if you haven’t built up to it. If you are worried about returning to work try walking just 5-10 minutes at first, adding 5 minutes after a week.

Lynne Cleveland,
You are still very early in this yearlong or more recovery, though most of us start feeling better around 3 months.
Sounds like you may have done too much walking at Costco today, I hope it settles down soon.

Here is a link for some tips for teachers, Tips for teachers when you go back to work

I went back to teaching at 12 weeks, but just mornings for the first 6 weeks. It allowed me to spend the afternoons babying my knee, elevating and icing. Even with just mornings my knee swelled and I took ice packs for the drive back and forth.

If you’re in a classroom you may want to designate areas around the classroom you can sit. It can make a long day for a new knee to be standing all day.

Yes, thank you for the encouragement. Taking off at a 30 minute increment, was a little over
doing it! I have not been out of the house much as my pain levels have been high until the last couple of weeks. I still walk a lot in the house and have walked in the yard quite a bit. I guess increments of 10-20 minutes at one time are not quite the same as what I did today. :nah:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom