TKR TKR recovery diary

Chanel5

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, ive just joined, so not sure how to do all of this. I’m 14 weeks post op and nearly 2weeks post MUA.
I had small blood clots in both lungs 4 days after leaving hospital. Spent 8 days in NHS hospital. It was so worrying and I had no PT in that time either.

I'm now on blood thinners for 3 months. I’ve had so much trouble and pain trying to bend my knee. Went back in for MUA but still having pain trying to bend. Doing exercise, ice, elevation etc. My flexion is only 40, I’ve never had any trouble with extension.

I’m not in a good place mentally, I cry constantly and feel my normal life is over. This has to be the hardest thing I’ve ever been through. I’m so glad I came across this website. It’s helps to know that other people know how I feel . Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
:welome: to BoneSmart

Went back in for MUA but still having pain trying to bend
You will get more pain. Please, relax and don't force it. The guidelines below will explain...

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @Chanel5

Just read your first post and wanted to reach out and say hello. A fellow Brit I’m also new to this site, but it has helped me so much reading people’s experiences, advice and encouragement, you’ve come to the right place!

Please stick around and read.....everyone here is so supportive.....and from what you will read, it does get better, and crying, feeling low are very normal, as is worrying about ROM. But you will learn very quickly that the BoneSmart philosophy is slow and gentle and you will get there......hang in there......

@Carmencita

Thank you for your kind supportive words. I’ve been reading so many of other people’s experiences this afternoon and its been so helpful. I’m already starting to feel a little more optimistic.
It’s been a tough 14 weeks but hopefully now I can start thinking about my recovery in a different positive way.

I’m 14 weeks post op and nearly 2weeks post MUA
MUA in many ways restarts your recovery, so don't worry that your bend is not as good as you'd want it. Just take everything very steadily and just do some gentle stretching exercises if you want to.

Do you, by any chance, have a static bike you can use?

Yes I do have a exercise bike. I have also just hired a CPM for 2 weeks. I know a lot of people don’t recommend them but Im finding it helpful. Just gentle movements and holding on the stretch. Just gives me control of the pain. What are your thoughts?

If your leg is stiff and swollen then using an exercise bike for training is not a good idea; but you can still use one for mobility exercises - even if you can't make a single rotation!

• Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle as high as possible and rock the pedals back and forth as far as you can with discomfort but no pain
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
If you can make a rotation:
  • Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
  • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
Here is a bit more chat and some pix and how 'healing' and 'training' are different

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back