TKR TKR + Psoriatic arthritis

Janny129

Country
United States United States
I had a right TKR on 8/30/19. And,I have/had significant knee valgus. My leg is much straighter and my right foot no longer turns out. Two weeks post is not long, but I’m doing exercises, ice and rest. Sleep is tough. I sleep soundly for a few hours,and then wide awake.

I have PsA and had RTKR on 8/30/19. Prior to surgery, as much as possible, I exercised and went into the surgery as strong as I could. One month prior to surgery, I stopped Humira, but continued Methotrexate, and was advised to stay off of Humira for 30 days after the surgery. I was trying for longer. The first +3 weeks of swelling and pain were in the average range for this surgery, and I did not consider it being PsA inflammation. PT, exercise, ice and rest were the norm. For pain, I use acetominophen. My ROM has improved, as well as my strength, but still tire easily. This past week (1 month post op), I had what I consider a psoriatic flare with my neck, back, hips and knees impacted with extreme pain. It came on quickly. Today, I started back on the Humira. I don't like taking it, and am terrified of the side effects. But, my PsA was significantly impacting my quality of life. I do hope you manage ok and are able to calm the PsA part of your recover.
I feel like I hit a wall every few days. I feel exhausted, discouraged and unrested. Generally when I have a day like that, I take a pause for a day from pushing my exercises and activity. If I am able to get a decent night of sleep, I generally feel better and get back on track and realize I really am making progress on my recovery.

@Janny129
You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
I feel like I hit a wall every few days. I feel exhausted, discouraged and unrested.
These symptoms are common after joint replacement, they should improve around the 3-4 month mark. Some sooner, some later depending one your circumstance.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I am super interested in following along here. I also have psoriatic arthritis and am scheduled to have my right knee done December 5th. I’m sure that they’re going to ask me to stop Remicade, which frankly terrifies me. I’ve taken it for nearly 10 years now. My knee is a problem child, and started to deteriorate long before I started biologics. I’m fairly sure that I owe the functionality I have in my other joints to this drug.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom