TKR TKR Progress

Jockette

Staff member since March 18, 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
My ROM was not great my whole first year but I had a lot of improvement in my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal. I even saw a bit more improvement in my third year. You may see that, also.

OP
OP
O

Odieodell

Country
My ROM was not great my whole first year but I had a lot of improvement in my second year,
@Jockette that’s reassuring and encouraging! Sometimes it’s hard to ignore the lack of ROM because I do get mild reminders during my daily activities. Overall, I’ve been very happy with my progress. I like noting my progress here so I will have a record of my healing journey, especially should I ever need to have the other knee done. Although, I’ve heard no two knees heal alike.

benne68

Staff member since February 4, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hi @Odieodell I'm another one who has seen continuing improvements in my ROM at a year post-op. Try not to worry about the numbers, just focus on function. You will get there.
:flwrysmile:

OP
OP
O

Odieodell

Country
I’m officially back on the tennis courts shy of 8 months post surgery (March 30). I did an hour and a half tennis drill. It wasn’t pretty, since my timing is way off, but the knee felt good. I’m trying hit more top spin so that’s throwing me off a bit too. This makes me sooooo happy!

On another note, I saw my chiropractor yesterday and he always checks my knee. This time when he took my leg and wiggled it, the knee sounded and felt loose when he did that. It didn’t hurt. I never hear or feel it clunk during my daily activities. Maybe swelling has reduced more. Just seemed weird.

hawk2go

Staff member since January 6, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
It's fantastic when you regain the things you love. I'm glad you're having a good time.

:tennis2:

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
This time when he took my leg and wiggled it, the knee sounded and felt loose when he did that. It didn’t hurt.
If it was me, I wouldn’t let him do that. It sounds like a problem waiting to happen. I’m glad it didn’t hurt. My chiropractor has never done that to me after my replacement.

OP
OP
O

Odieodell

Country
Overall, I’m very happy with my progress and activity level at 8 months post-op. I’m able to do many of the activities I love. However, my flexion still isn’t much past 100 degrees. I’m not overly concerned about that right now, because many of you keep saying ROM will come over time.

However, I am curious to know if anyone has ever had an MUA or arthroscopic surgery to improve ROM well after a year and if they gained long-term ROM? From what I’ve read on this forum, early MUAs didn’t seem to improve ROM for long-term because they only further aggravated the TKR surgery. I’d like to downhill ski again, but don’t think I would want to try it until my ROM is better.

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
An MUA will only improve your ROM if you have an adhesion that is blocking it. If you don’t have any adhesions, an MUA will only stress your healing knee. MUA is not done just to speed up your ROM process.

My ROM was poor at 9 months post op, mostly because I still had so much tightness inside my leg. I did have a lot of improvement all through my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal.

OP
OP
O

Odieodell

Country
@Jockette as always thanks for responding. I do believe my knee is still healing and plan to give it a lot more time. However, I am a bit surprised I’m not seeing some small gains in my ROM by now since I’m so active. I challenge the bend a little bit every day. It seems like once tissue swelling has subsided, the TKR joint would bend easily without pain. My lack of bending feels like it’s the knee joint itself, yet I know I still have some internal swelling.

I again looked at the link you previously sent me about adhesions. How does a doctor determine a patient has adhesions? I was a water drinking machine before and after surgery, so my body has always been well hydrated so I’m doubting I have adhesions too.

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
How does a doctor determine a patient has adhesions?
My understanding is, the only way to determine adhesions is to do an MUA and look at its results. There are no tests that will show them, that I am aware of. Usually the doctor can hear the adhesion rip, like the sound of Velcro, during the MUA. If the MUA gives the patent a big jump in their ROM number, pretty much right away, and they maintain it, then we can assume there was indeed an adhesion.

On the other hand, if there is only a slight improvement in ROM after the MUA and within a short time the patient is back to whatever number they were at, or close to it, then most likely there were no adhesions, the patient only had swelling that was affecting the ROM number. This is often what happens when an MUA is done quite early in the recovery, and why I would wait to have one, to give the body time to recover and for the swelling to go down, which can take weeks or even months, for some of us.

OP
OP
O

Odieodell

Country
Well that’s certainly a crapshoot! :flabber:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties