TKR TKR Outpatient Surgery Center

Navfed22

Country
United States United States
Hi, wanted to see if anyone has any advice/comments. I am scheduled for a TKR in January and just got a call from my surgeons office yesterday. i was told that the procedure is outpatient and performed at a surgery center and not in a hospital setting. I have had surgeries before including ACL and sometimes have issues with pain management. According to the surgeons website, i will be giving oral pain meds post Op before going home but this does not give me the warm and fuzzy. Am I reading too much into this? Thanks very much.

I had my left PKR at a surgical center in 2016 and did not have any issues...

@Navfed22 Just work with staff before you leave the centre. They are not going to throw you out if you pain management cocktail isn't working. And you are obviously a good candidate for this approach otherwise they would not offer it.

Hello @Navfed22 - and :welome:

I agree with Jaycey. Your surgeon will have assessed you as being an acceptable risk before offering this early discharge.

Before being discharged, make sure you have full instructions about how and when to contact someone, if you have any concerns.

I had outpatient TKR on 10/28. I went in at 5a.m. and had surgery at 7 a.m. and was home before noon. It worked out great for me. I had a nerve block around the knee so I didn't have any real pain initially, just tightness. My Dr gave me all my post op prescriptions and instructions well in advance so that I had it when I got home and and started having pain after the block wore off. A nurse visited me the same day I got home as well as a physical therapist. Good luck!

I had a LTKR in 2016 as an outpatient. Surgery at 7:30Am and home by noon. I had an previously unknown allergic reaction to the pain med and subsequently had to go straight to a much stronger medication. As I'm scheduled for a RTKR on December 17 I hope the surgeon will treat this as inpatient surgery. Am I right to think this way or not?

I'm having mine as an outpatient also on Saturday (12/14). Same story - will get a nerve block and pain meds, work with PT prior to discharge, if I just can't do it they will admit me. I guess since I'm in relatively good health and 53 I'm an acceptable risk. I work at the same hospital as my surgeon so I am fairly ok with the plan. I had another major surgery 5 years ago as an outpatient and although think for that I should have stayed inpatient, I managed to do ok so I think this will be better than that was, so if I could get through that other surgery with going home, this should surely be ok - right?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom