• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR TKR Outpatient Surgery Center

Navfed22

Country
United States United States
Hi, wanted to see if anyone has any advice/comments. I am scheduled for a TKR in January and just got a call from my surgeons office yesterday. i was told that the procedure is outpatient and performed at a surgery center and not in a hospital setting. I have had surgeries before including ACL and sometimes have issues with pain management. According to the surgeons website, i will be giving oral pain meds post Op before going home but this does not give me the warm and fuzzy. Am I reading too much into this? Thanks very much.

Naturelover

Country
I had my left PKR at a surgical center in 2016 and did not have any issues...

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Navfed22 Just work with staff before you leave the centre. They are not going to throw you out if you pain management cocktail isn't working. And you are obviously a good candidate for this approach otherwise they would not offer it.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Navfed22 - and :welome:

I agree with Jaycey. Your surgeon will have assessed you as being an acceptable risk before offering this early discharge.

Before being discharged, make sure you have full instructions about how and when to contact someone, if you have any concerns.

caredFL

Country
I had outpatient TKR on 10/28. I went in at 5a.m. and had surgery at 7 a.m. and was home before noon. It worked out great for me. I had a nerve block around the knee so I didn't have any real pain initially, just tightness. My Dr gave me all my post op prescriptions and instructions well in advance so that I had it when I got home and and started having pain after the block wore off. A nurse visited me the same day I got home as well as a physical therapist. Good luck!

TKR#2

Country
I had a LTKR in 2016 as an outpatient. Surgery at 7:30Am and home by noon. I had an previously unknown allergic reaction to the pain med and subsequently had to go straight to a much stronger medication. As I'm scheduled for a RTKR on December 17 I hope the surgeon will treat this as inpatient surgery. Am I right to think this way or not?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LIFELADY
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom