Lounge Doctor
ConforMIS

TKR TKR on Nov 19.... Need advice

n9uib1967

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone..... I just had my knee replaced on Nov 19 and the only issue I have is when I try to sleep. My muscles get to where they are so sore and twitchy.
I called my. Doc and tried to get muscle relaxers, but that fell on deaf ears .... My pt is going well, but I sleep about 1 hour a night..... Advice please,!!

Steve

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@n9uib1967 Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery. Which knee did you have replaced? I'll put the information in your signature for you.

What pain medication are you taking and how often? Are you icing and elevating? Very early days for you. Unfortunately sleep problems are a part of this recovery. Sleep during the day if you can.

Easy does it on PT. You are not in training for anything - you are healing. Plenty of time for strength training when that knee heals.

Here are your recovery guidelines:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

OP
OP
N

n9uib1967

Country
Sorry...... I had the left knee replaced outpatient...

Cjackso21

Country
Although I did not try this early on and I had muscle cramps, along with sore and twitchy, I started an electrolyte drink addition. I found that a tablet you add to water called Nuun, worked to get rid of my cramps, that no longer wake me all night like they did. I started using this months after my last knee revision but wish I had tried it earlier. I figure that it can’t hurt. Good luck!

sistersinhim

Country
I just had my knee replaced on Nov 19 and the only issue I have is when I try to sleep. My muscles get to where they are so sore and twitchy.
Unfortunately, sleeplessness is a common problem during the early recovery from a TKR. It doesn't matter when or where you sleep, just sleep. I would sleep in my bed for an hour or so then get up and walk around then sleep in my recliner for a couple of hours. This went on for 24 hours a day for the first 6 weeks or so. The sleep was more like naps. I seldom got deep sleep as long as I was on the Oxycodone. It did get better as time went on.

If I did too much during the day, my sleep was worse because of nighttime pain. Icing helped that. Are you icing during the night? You will probably find that it will help you, too.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
The feeling of muscle twitch could be related to pain. Even if you're not icing overnight, you might try icing right before bed. I did that.

You might try some very gentle stretching and also heat on the muscles. Keep up with the ice on the knee itself.
Like sistersinhim, once I figured out that my sleep was going to be in installments, I stopped worrying about it. I slept, got up, slept again. And early on it was a morning nap and an afternoon nap. :heehee:
It will get better, but I know it is frustrating right now. :console2:

OP
OP
N

n9uib1967

Country
Thanks for all the great advice...... I have now gotten the spasms under control..... Those dang oxy are not for me...... I like sleep too much....lol

Pumpkln

Country
Glad to hear your spasms are under control.
You can ask for a step down medication such as Norco or Tramadol for pain if oxycontin is keeping you awake.

OP
OP
N

n9uib1967

Country
Hello everyone..... I am about 8 days out from my ltkr and today , I found out that I can walk unassisted with out my walker.. i get a bit fatigued, but other than that, I am good.
Am I setting myself up to do any harm ?????

Steve

NFenske

senior
Country
Considering 8 days out no crutches or walker wish I was that lucky!! As many times as my knee has been replaced I was on crutches approx. 2 months but my situation different then yours. If you do too much your knee will let you know if you did too much. Do not push it but I would imagine at 8 days out possibly the walking is inside your home or very short outside. I think thats great just keep in mind do not over do it and really the knee will heal on its own terms. No matter what some therapists or even some Dr's say there is nothing set in stone on what to expect when we are all different.
Keep it up!

sistersinhim

Country
NFenske is correct. He has been there and he knows that pushing your recovery will just set it back. What will do you the best is to rest, elevate and ice. Gentle movements will be all the exercise your knee needs.

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. Bookmark it if you can, so you don't lose it.
Don't worry that we won't see your questions as, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

OP
OP
N

n9uib1967

Country
I am walking slow and making sure I don't do anything stupid. I was highly suprised, and my PT will be here tomorrow....

Wondering if I should show them?

NFenske

senior
Country
I would but do not let therapist think your capable of doing even better at this stage remember its your knee not his, the therapist does not have to deal with your knee once he leaves. Hope this comes across correctly? really your doing great!! but I can just about bet money your going to have set backs. There are going to be days your knee will hate you to minimize take it slow and easy your not training for the Olympics. From first hand experiences most moderators have dealt with my anger frustration for the past couple years and continue to put up with me now. The worst way to get better is push it. I am currently going to have another TKR same L Knee for the 7th time and yes I have tried to over do it and finally came to senses its not worth it point blank knee pain can get pretty bad.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I think it is a bit early in your recovery to walk unassisted. Maybe for very short distances in the house, but I think for longer lengths in the house you would be better to use something for support. Even if you think you don’t need it, new knees can be sneaky and rebel at a later time if they don’t like something you did. It’s the old saying, just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

I wouldn’t show this to your PT, either, sometimes they are over acheivers, and if you can do things, they like to add more, and before you know it, you’ve overdone things.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Whether or not walking unassisted this early is a problem or not depends on how you're walking. If you're walking with a good strong stride with proper heel-roll to toe and no limp, then that's fine. But since you indicate you're going very slow, my guess is you have not yet progressed to having a good strong gait.

So, my recommendation if that's the case would be to just enjoy that you're making great progress and don't be tempted to show off a bit for your therapist. At 8 days you still have MAJOR healing internally that needs to take place. It is always best to use some type of walking aid until you can consistently walk with strong, normal steps. The best aid to help is a walker, although I know many people don't like to use them for any length of time. But that frame and having both hands firmly on it give you the best support for practicing a normal gait. You are doing just great. But please allow your body time to recover. You won't regret it and you'll avoid the risk of overdoing things at this early stage of recovery.

OP
OP
N

n9uib1967

Country
Thank you everyone for the great advice !!!!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Allijaxley
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom