TKR TKR on 12 June

Had my pre-op today for the surgery next week. They are offering / recommending an Ambit Pain Control System: basically a catheter in the inner thigh with a pump providing continuous dosage of a local anesthetic that they claim will reduce the amount of oral meds I need. Does anyone have any experience with this or something like it. They want $500 and an answer by tomorrow so they can order it.

I don't have any experience with the Ambit Pain Control System, but it sounds similar to a nerve block. My nerve block didn't last for 48 hours but it got me in the car and home after an hour ride. After looking it up I saw where most people had it for 3-days and that it uses medications like lidocaine to numb the pain. My question would be would your doctor add any medication and how many days could you use it? I was on dilaudid for about 6-weeks for pain. My doctor also ordered Celebrex, but I couldn't tolerate the side effects. Along with tylenol, 30-days of aspirin, colace, and I added miralax. My husband has started meloxicam and that is working for him! It seems more people can tolerate that.
I would also ask about you being able to get up and walk with it. Would it hook on to your walker? How long is the tubing? I found that if I walked around my family room in the middle of the night it helped with the discomfort. For the first week or 2 most people had to urinate every 2-2 1/2 hours.
Good luck to you! If you decide to go for it let us know how you liked it.

Had my pre-op today for the surgery next week. They are offering / recommending an Ambit Pain Control System: basically a catheter in the inner thigh with a pump providing continuous dosage of a local anesthetic that they claim will reduce the amount of oral meds I need. Does anyone have any experience with this or something like it. They want $500 and an answer by tomorrow so they can order it.
Hi @Flash699, we’re SX buddies. My date is also May 24. I’m having my 2nd revision in NYC. If this device isn’t covered by insurance, I probably wouldn’t pay out of pocket for it. My OS is doing an epidural with a PCA pump while I am in the hospital (3-4 days). It will come out before I am discharged for rehab.

Your doc should be able to control your pain just fine with a PCA pump and IV meds while in the hospital and then oral medicines afterwords.

Good Luck and see you on the other side!

Christa

Your doc should be able to control your pain just fine with a PCA pump and IV meds while in the hospital and then oral medicines afterwords.
Thanks. Mine will be outpatient so we'll see. Good luck on your surgery.

most people had it for 3-days and that it uses medications like lidocaine to numb the pain. My question would be would your doctor add any medication and how many days could you use it?
This sounds like what they described. Their only comment was that it will reduce the OxyCodeine usage I need. For 2 days and $500 I decided that it wasn't worth it to me. Especially since I hear that the first day is typically relatively light pain as you're coming down off the surgery meds and it hasn't swollen fully yet.

I'm becoming more convinced I made right choice as the knee has been especially painful the last several days. If I wasn't doing this TKR, I'd be unable to keep up my property and have to move. So, hopefully all goes well and on the other side I'll be relatively back to normal.

Prepping for the big day by getting chores done around the place so the wife doesn't have to pick up too much slack while I'm down and smoking a brisket overnight so we've got left overs.

Good luck tomorrow, Flash!
Sounds like you’re on for the drive-thru version :wink: in and out.
Safe travels to and from your surgery site. Please let us know how you’re doing once you’re settled in back home. See you soon!
@Flash699

Good luck tomorrow, Flash!
Thanks Layla. Surgery apparently went fine this morning according to the Dr. Pain was pretty high when I woke so they gave me more meds and since then I've been good with keeping to the pain med and exercise schedule. Using the walker, slowly bending the knee to 90 degrees, etc. Even ate at the table this evening. At this point, it's more of an inconvenience than anything. Biggest problem is mental clarity (typing or thinking while drugged). I'm expecting the next few days to go downhill as the surgical meds wear off.

Thanks for the surgery report, @Flash699. Hope you are doing well today.

Now that you are post-op, why don't you start a new thread in the Knee Recovery forum -- when you feel up to it, of course. That will make it easier for others to follow your journey!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie