TKR TKR May 2021 - Week 4

Garvey

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had my TKR surgery on 10th May (aged 74) and am now half way through week 4 of my recovery. The surgeon had to do quite a lot of work on my knee as the arthritis was severe and the kneecap had moved. I’m not sure if this explains the excruciating pain I was in when the anaesthetic wore off! For pain relief I was on codeine, paracetamol plus, for 14 days, aspirin and omeprazole. However, the painkillers made me feel dreadful - dry mouth, nausea, constipation, loss of appetite. I couldn’t eat and lost weight (21 lbs so far). The only positive thing was that the painkillers also made me feel sleepy so I pretty much slept my way through the first couple of weeks. I had no problem getting up and down stairs and moving around on my crutches. I was also able to manage some of the exercises, but bending my knee to get the 90 degree angle was just way too painful. I was beginning to feel really depressed about this as I’d been led to understand that the post-op exercises were crucial. I then came across this website and what an enormous relief it was to read the advice not to push through the pain and that the knee would eventually get the ROM needed in time. This week I reduced the codeine during the day and feel so much better. I’m now able to eat a little more and I’m on track with the “daily living activities” I should be doing by week 4. I’m feeling much more positive and so pleased to have discovered this forum.

Welcome! I’m eight weeks post-op and find so much comfort and support here. It also gives me a place to whine where folks understand why I’m whining!

Thank you . Yes, it makes such a difference to get advice and encouragement from people who have been through the same thing. You are obviously well down the road to recovery now so I hope you continue to make good progress.

Welcome, Garvey, and congratulations on your new knee! Sounds like you are already seeing the advantages of the BoneSmart way, and good for you. Lots of advice and support here. Come back often.
Which knee did you have done so a signature can be created for you?

Thank you. It’s my right knee.

I'm so glad you found Bonesmart. It has been a blessing to tens of thousands of people through the years. I will post for you your very own recovery articles. You'll find them quite helpful in your journey of recovery!

Each person is different as is their recovery. Most find that the Bonesmart approach works best for them, but others find that a more aggressive therapy helps them more. It's your recovery and your choice on how you recover. As you read more on other members' recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect. The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax and let it. Don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly only temporary.
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when the pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT...
a. If it hurts, don't do it, and don't allow anyone to hurt you.
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again for a few weeks.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom