TKR TKR Left Knee

KFTCS

Country
United States United States
Waiting for the other shoe to drop. Three weeks + out from surgery (Oct. 3) and I HAVE HAD NO PAIN. I filled my oxy prescription assuming I’d be hurting. My surgeon told me I’d have much less pain than I was expecting. I have had NONE!

Been taking my Tylenol religiously, 2 pills, 3 times a day, plus the antibiotics and the anticoagulant as prescribed and I can honestly say I haven’t hurt at all!

I have had some electric shock sensations as my nerves have started regenerating. And my skin is SO sensitive it’s as though I can feel the air touching it (!) but no pain.

Today was the coldest day so far and I have had a little ache in the joint for the first time but that’s it! Oh, the second week or so I did notice a little pain in the joint when I tried rolling from my back into my right side for a couple of minutes. I’m a left side sleeper and sleeping on my back has been a little challenging.

Good luck, everyone!! Hope my experience eases your fears!!! Can’t wait to have my right knee done in the spring!!!!

@KFTCS Welcome to the other side. Easy does it - especially if you are not experiencing any pain. It is very easy to overdo. You are very lucky as not everyone has a high pain tolerance.

I'll leave your recovery guideline here for you:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a very general week-by-week guide. Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Good for you! Glad to hear you are having a smooth recovery. I’m a day after you and I have had very minimal pain. It was a little rough going for one day after my nerve block wore off, but outside I’d that I have had a very low pain level and just taking Tylenol. I’ve been very pleasantly surprised at how easy this has been. I do have quite a bit of swelling still, but the incision has healed up and the scar is barely noticeable at not even a month out. I’m walking around the house freely with no aids. I take a cane with me in public just because I don’t want anyone bumping into me and hope people hold doors and such. Some get the hint and some don’t. I limped for so long before my surgery that I have to re-train my body to not limp. That’s been hard but I’m working on it. If I overdo something my knee certainly lets me know. I’m far from “recovered” but really surprised at how well it has gone so far.

Like you said, I hope our stories give some people hope that recovering from this surgery doesn’t have to be something to be feared.

Wow, @KFTCS, you are very fortunate to come through this with no pain!

We refer to those nerve sensations you mention as "zingers." They are normal and can continue for weeks, even months. As you note, they are a sign that the nerves are regenerating.

The sensitivity is also normal. One trick quite a few of our members have used is to wrap Saran/plastic wrap around the knee to protect it. I found it very helpful at night because the bedding would rub on my incision and awaken me. Give it a try.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hello and Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hopefully your recovery has continued on the path it was on last time you posted. You've been blessed.
We'd love to hear how you're doing as time allows. Also wondering if you have a date scheduled for your Right TKR in the Spring? If so, we can add it to your signature now, or once it's scheduled.
Take good care!
@KFTCS

My next follow up appointment is January 4th and we’ll be discussing my RTKR that day. Will totally keep y’all updated!!!

So happy to hear you’re having a good recovery, too. My doctor said only 3-5% of TKR patients get away with virtually no pain so we must be very lucky/special!

I used the Ace bandage for several weeks then my husband suggested leg warmers! I was worried about adding extra heat to my still swollen leg but I bought a pair on Amazon to try. I use one while I’m icing my knee or just laying in bed watching tv. We keep our room in the cool side and with the skin so sensitive I could wear the leg warmer and keep my leg out from under the covers. I’m now at the point where the sensitivity doesn’t really bother me anymore so I can sleep with no skin protection.

Still numb on the outer side of my knee which I understand can last quite a while. It’s annoying because I’m afraid of cutting my knee when I’m shaving out of i bump something… but still being SO EXTRA careful so….

Still numb on the outer side of my knee which I understand can last quite a while. It’s annoying because I’m afraid of cutting my knee when I’m shaving out of i bump something… but still being SO EXTRA careful so….
Isn't that the strangest feeling? And yes, it does take a long time for the numbness to subside. I still worry when I'm shaving that leg but I have noticed that the numb area has became gradually smaller over time.

During the first few months, I decided a little hair was better than a cut that could become infected. :heehee:

It’s annoying because I’m afraid of cutting my knee when I’m shaving
Consider a re-chargable electric razor. I had the same fear after surgery and bought my first re-charchable after my joint replacement. To me it was inexpensive enough and well worth eliminating the worry of cutting myself. Enjoy the rest of the weekend! :SUNsmile:

So I am heading for a 3rd follow-up appointment on Wednesday. Hoping to schedule my second TKR (right). I’m going to ask him to give me a Cortizone shot in my right knee, hoping to get a little relief for a month or so. It’s hurting so bad that I think it’s impacting what I’m able to do with my left knee.
I’d like to schedule TKR off my right knee in April, so the weather is good enough that I can do all my walking outside rather than around three rooms on my first floor. That’ll make it four months away.
I am at 112° ROM last measured, I’m walking, climbing stairs, still doing PT twice a week. Still no pain, never had any since the surgery, still numb on the left outside of my knee. I’m very lucky because I have unlimited PT through my insurance company, they just keep renewing it 12 sessions at a time. I’m hoping the doctor will let me go back to the gym after I see him on Wednesday and then I’ll ease up on PT because I’ll be going to the gym 4 to 5 days a week.
They keep telling me that they can’t guarantee this next surgery will be as easy as the first but I’m going in with the attitude that it’s the same patient, the same doctor, and the same knee problem. Fingers crossed, I’ll have as easy a time this time!

it’s the same patient, the same doctor, and the same knee problem.
It might be the same knee problem, but it's not the same knee. You would be amazed at how different the two recovers can be. You might have more or less damage inside your knee and more or less inflammation. The surgeon might have to do more or less work inside. That's why we say that no two knees' recoveries are exactly the same.

Hopefully, you will have an even easier recovery with this upcoming surgery!

I am sorry your right knee is bothering you.
With any luck you're able to obtain the relief you're hoping for if your surgeon okays an injection.

Best Wishes with your appointment tomorrow.
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
@KFTCS

Thank you!! Scheduled my right TKR for April 17, 2023. Will post when surgery is done!
He did give me a cortisone shot since it’s more than three months out from the next surgery. Crossing my fingers it helps a little….

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope the injection has helped ease the pain you were experiencing.
A great weekend to you!
@KFTCS

It helped a lot for the first month but it’s already wearing loss, so I’m back in as much pain on my non operated knee as I was before. I can’t wait for my second surgery: it’s scheduled for April 17.

Obviously, the doctors are warning me that it won’t necessarily be as easy as the first one. My LTKR was a piece of cake. In fact, the pain in my right knee is worse than the surgery. But I’m going in with the attitude that it’s the same problem, the same doctor, and the same patient and I’m going to have the same wonderful experience. Worst case scenario, I have to use the pain pills.

My left knee, the one that was replaced, is still numb on the outside. I’m at about 120° ROM. My only recommendation to anyone reading this, do your exercises and walk. Walk, walk, walk.

By the way, does anyone know? Do I start a new thread for my second surgery or continue on this one?

My doc warned me that the second would be worse. I haven't found that to be true so far. Its a little different, but not worse. I was driving by this time with lefty.
Other than driving there hasn't been much difference. Hope your righty is a piece of cake like lefty!

Do I start a new thread for my second surgery or continue on this one?
That is your choice. You can have a new one if you wish or add this new surgery to this current one. Either way will be fine. It's what you think will be easier for you.

By the way, does anyone know? Do I start a new thread for my second surgery or continue on this one?
Yes, you can have a different thread for a different knee. But, since the knees are done close together, and you will mostly mention both, I suggest you just keep everything in this thread, so it’s all in one easy place for you.

All of a sudden my husband noticed my left ankle is swollen like I’m retaining water. I’m 6mos post op on my left TKR and my right one is in two weeks. What the heck can be going on?!?!?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back