Lounge Doctor

TKR TKR Left Knee June 21, 2021

Trek2021

Country
United States United States
Please add me to the June 2021 group. This is my first TKR. Looking to see if anyone has muscle spasms in quad and hamstring. Very weak muscles in this area. Range of motion is 108 degrees at Week 5.

Thanks!

Celle

MODERATOR EMERITIUS
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Trek2021 - and :welome:

Yes, some people do experience muscle spasms.

Here are our recovery guidelines, with lots of short, but informative articles:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

GiantFinnegan

Country
I had muscle spasms in my quads, hamstring, calf, shin (whatever those muscles are called). What helped me was gentle (really gentle!) stretching, prescription muscle relaxers (those also helped me sleep), and later a topical magnesium lotion called Ancient Minerals that was suggested by someone here and ordered on Amazon.

They are also a lot less frequent now than they were around weeks 3-6 after surgery. My guess was that's when I was getting a bit more mobile and active but really still early on in recovery and my muscles were super unhappy about everything so they were spasming a lot!

Moone

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I am at wk7 and still get these. Perhaps from doing too much, or maybe things still settling. Will be interested to hear your progress! I'm still having challenges walking, knee buckles, catches and swells. It can be hard!

Atkinson8

Country
I'm at week 8 and you're ROM is admirable! I still have knee buckles if I don't pay attention when I walk, as well as catches. My knee swells easily when I do too much (which often is my hint to slow down). My PT used a roller type apparatus on my quad (you could use a water bottle or rolling pin) and that was pain/pleasure, then quite productive. The more we move and do, the more we'll feel the nerves awaken.

OP
OP
T

Trek2021

Country
Week 7... I have found going to PT 2 days a week and a trigger point therapist (not massage) 2 days a week has help me progress more quickly. The trigger point therapist has helped release muscle tension and reactivate muscles that were not firing. For instance, when I would lay on my stomach and try to lift my leg, I couldn't move it straight leg or curl it. After 1 appointment, I can now lift both legs equally when on my stomach. There is less pain now when I stretch to my limit.

OP
OP
T

Trek2021

Country
Week 12... Has anyone experienced muscle weakness at Week 12? I have half the strength in the calf, hamstring and quad. The lower quad muscle does not fire to do a leg extension. I have sharp pains in the IT band (outer leg hip to knee). I still have a large bruise the size of my hand on my inner thigh. Is this normal? I still have issues with sleep and waking up with sharp muscle pains. My knee pain is the inside of the knee.

I go to PT 2 days a week and I am supposed to go back to work in a week. Any advice would be appreciated.

susanne

post-grad
Country
I have severe cramping/ seizing in my calf after trkr
I had my left one done a few years ago and didn’t experience any of this. Pain last 2-3 seconds but that’s enough
Help

Moone

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'm 13 wks and get them now. More exercise and if I've been on my bike. Hot shower helos and gentle stretching is good and slowing down when needed...

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Boy grandma
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom