Knee Infection* TKR Infection 2 Years Out

Well it’s good this is getting the attention it deserves and you will be on to healing.
I was also told he may replace the spacer. There was mention of removing old sutures.
He will know more when he gets inside your knee to see exactly what it needs.

Anyway, has anyone gone through this cleaning out/debridement?
Here are other members who have had infections, and their treatment.

Sending hugs and prayers! :console2: :prayer: Try not to worry, I know, much easier said than done, details for home will work out. The main thing right now is clearing out that infection.:console2::console2::console2:

I don’t have any experience or advice to share, but I just wanted to say good luck and I wish you strength and courage. This must be scary and a bit of a shock, but you will get through it. Hopefully you will feel much better when all is said and done. Wishing you the best!

I don’t have any experience or advice to share, but I just wanted to say good luck and I wish you strength and courage. This must be scary and a bit of a shock, but you will get through it. Hopefully you will feel much better when all is said and done. Wishing you the best!
Thank you so very much. Your good thoughts mean a lot to me.

I'm glad you are getting someone to seriously look at your knee. I pray it's not as bad as you fear.

I had the surgery on my knee today to clean out the infection.and remove some old stitches. I cant see anything yet - bandaged from ankle to crotch.Thank goodness the joint was not involved! Just spoke to an infectious disease doctor. She actually came to my room to see me twice to explain things. She is wonderful! Two more weeks of antibiotics - cefodroxil? I was admitted yesterday, staying tonight and if all goes well I will go home tomorrow. So far, pain is manageable with medication.
Thank you all for your support.

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this. Keep us up to date and please be persistent!

The joint wasn’t involved! That is wonderful news!! I hope your recovery goes really well.

So glad you have a positive report from your medical team. Good that everyone reacted quickly for you.

has anyone gone through this cleaning out/debridement? and /or spacer replacement? Just wondering what to expect. Could you walk steps, go back to work etc... The TKR was brutal and I am hoping this is not difficult. Also, if you have gone through this, did you need to use a walker, cane, commode, transfer bench any other equipment? - so I can ask someone to get it ready for me at home. I was not emotionally prepared and did not get the house ready.
I am sure you can understand, I am a nervous wrecK!
Take a look at the infection threads that were provided in a post above for you. We've had many people go through this procedure and they do just fine. Recovery from your procedure should not be anywhere nearly as involved as your knee replacement, although it's difficult at this point to give you an idea of recovery times. It would depend on how much the surgeon had to do when he was in your knee. If the stitches were infected all this time, you should soon feel quite a bit of difference in your knee. We'll certainly hope that is the case!

I just wanted to update you and thank everyone for their support. I came home from the hospital on Friday and I am feeling well. Still bandaged and have a Pico vacuum, which will be removed on Wednesday. A nurse comes to the house to check on me and then to remove everything. Saw PT at home once, but I don't need it. My post-op appointment is December 5th. I am going to get healed up and then find another orthopedist.
Again, thank you for helping me get through this latest bump.

This is great news! And no therapy needed....wonderful. The vacuum does a great job with wound healing, so I'm glad to hear that was done. Did you ever connect with your infectious disease doctor to get an opinion?

This is great news! And no therapy needed....wonderful. The vacuum does a great job with wound healing, so I'm glad to hear that was done. Did you ever connect with your infectious disease doctor to get an opinion?
Jamie, I saw an infectious disease doctor in the hospital, and she spoke to my doctor before she created an antibiotic/medication plan. I am going to see my infectious disease doctor once the bandages/vacuum are removed. I also have a follow up with my PC doctor.

Thanks for that information. Sounds like you have covered all the bases. Good for you!

I found out last week that the infection was caused by MSSA. I am still on antibiotics and seeing an infectious disease doctor. Hopefully, It will get knocked out of my system and I will have no more complications.

I'm glad you found out the actual bacteria that caused the infection. That's half the battle. You've go this!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom