Knee Infection* TKR Infection 2 Years Out

For me, it was worse than childbirth because the intense pain for the knee recovery lasted weeks not just hours.

sistersinhim, I told this exact thing to my grown daughter this week. I've never experienced the kind of pain I've experienced with this TKR.

TKRsharon
:console2:

I also have a period of good days and then out of the blue a bad day hits. I have areas that hurt and then don't and then do again. My scar changes colour several times a day,purple when I shower, light pink when icing, red is the usual colour. I asked my OS on Friday and he said its fine. Speculating causes more worry which in this long recovery isn't good for your mental health. Hard not to do but we're in for the long haul.

@sistersinhim Thanks for that thought. I have been so afraid of causing more pain today I have done nothing but shower and sit on my computer and ice. Oh, I took a couple of 5 minute walks around the house. The leg is so stiff and I can feel the knee clunking. I mentioned the clunking to the surgeon on Thursday and he said it was ok. I know I only had a couple of ok days, but I WAS feeling hopeful. Just wish I could figure out what causes the pain and swelling. Do you think lack of activity today is not a good thing? Just afraid.

This whole recovery is like a roller coaster, with lots of ups and downs. Try to relax, I wasted so much time trying to figure out what caused what new pain. Your knee/leg has been through the mill, the issues will ebb and flow, and all will be well in the end.

Here’s an article about the clicking:

Sometimes it takes a week or even more of resting, icing, and elevating for an angry knee to settle back down. Try not to worry. You will have pain up and down that rollercoaster for at least a year. That is a normal recovery. Of course, the pain won't be as strong as you continue to heal, but you will have some. Even now I can have discomfort and don't know why. Then the next day or even an hour, it's gone. I was told I would never be pain-free but better. That is what I am and I am happy with that!

So this is a follow up from my last post. I rested and iced all weekend and my leg calmed down a bit. Starting to have pain in my shin, ankle and hip, though. Do you think this could be related to my gait? I am trying to step more gently with that leg as I was having a tendency to "plop" that foot forward. I think I know the answer to this question, but can things feel ok one day and flare up the next? It seems like half step forward, 4 back. I just wish I knew it's all going to be ok. Thanks

Unfortunately it’s very normal to take one step forward, and varying amounts of steps backward, that’s the nature of this recovery. There doesn’t always seem to be a logical reason.

It will definitely get better. :console2:

I wish I'd get to the point of feeling it's going to get better. This morning I feel like I was beaten up. My thigh feel injured. I guess I will spend another day of icing and elevating and taking Tylenol. Feeling defeated

Although each stage of recovery has its challenges, I definitely found week 5-8 challenging because even though I knew recovery would take longer than a couple of months I was really getting sick of the whole thing by then. :tantrum:

Hang in there. :console2:

Thank you @kneeper. I am a bit over 3 months and just wondering if it's "normal"for the knee to be so reactive at this point? I am afraid to do anything in fear of it acting up. I take 10 -15 minute walks each day and see people here walking miles. I am going to increase by a couple of minutes every few days.

I take 10 -15 minute walks each day and see people here walking miles.
Please don't compare your recovery to any other recovery. Every recovery is different - even on the same person. We all react differently to these procedures and we all heal at our own pace.

This recovery takes a full year or longer. At only 3 months out there is plenty of time for improvement. Patience is prescribed!

At 3 months my knee was still very reactive @TKRsharon, and long walks weren't going to happen without paying a big price the next day. I know it's tough at 3 months to stay patient but this really is a long term recovery. I'm still slowly gaining ROM, gotta be the Turtle not the Hare! :heehee:

@FCBayern Thank you. As long as I know this is par for the course and it will get better, albeit slowly, I can (try to?) be patient. Today I'm feeling less pain although the leg feels stiff. I will continue to ice and elevate!

Today I'm feeling less pain although the leg feels stiff.
Many members think PT is needed to alleviate tightness/stiffness. Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

Thanks for explaining that, Jockette. It feels like I have duct tape wrapped around my leg. Glad to learn it's not from lack of rehab.

It’s not, and it will go away! Just not as soon as you want.

Tightness is caused by swelling, especially internal swelling. Not much fluid in that small knee capsule will make things really tight. I complained about that for at least 6 months. The pain got much better, but the tightness was really aggravating. It does go away, though, in its timing.

Thank you @sistersinhim. So, the tightness finally went away? I feel like the pain is letting up a bit, but not the tightness. It would help me get through if I knew it would eventually go away. Did you find ice made it feel better?
Thanks

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Eehamm
Recent bookmarks