Knee Infection* TKR Infection 2 Years Out

I used to always try to figure out what I did to cause an increase in pain. I still do, to some extent, but it’s really not worth the trouble, I just call my knee the Drama Queen!

Good morning. I was wondering if anyone has used any of the iPhone goniometer apps ? If so, which ones do you like/ find easy to use? Which ones should I steer away from?
Thank you.
Sharon

I wouldn’t bother with an app like that, or even getting the actual tool yourself. It is not an exact measurement and if you measure incorrectly and don‘t like the number it will only cause you stress.

Don’t worry about your ROM number. Your ROM will come along just fine as you continue to heal.

@Jockette - Thank you. That is what my gut was saying. I just thought if I wasn't going to PT maybe I should have some data to gauge my progress, but I agree with you. This will just cause me more stress. From reading everyone's posts, I understand that ROM can change from day to day due to swelling but this has been a rough week. Knee is feeling very tight, swollen and not as "bendy."

It's better to worry about the function and not numbers. During my recovery, we girls had a little game we called the 'bathroom measurement'. While sitting on the potty we'd see how far we could move our heel towards to next stripe or mark. We would all celebrate when we hit that mark. We didn't compare numbers just potty floor marks. Everybody's bathroom was different just like everybody's knee is different!

but this has been a rough week. Knee is feeling very tight, swollen and not as "bendy."
Your ROM is going to fluctuate all the time, that’s just the way it is, try to ignore it and just believe that you are healing and all will be well.

I was so stressed out about my ROM my entire first year and it’s fine now and I now realize how much emotion I wasted worrying about it. :doh:

It’ll also easier for me to tell you these things, since I’m almost 4 years past my surgery, so I’ve seen the proof of recovery. Everyone on Bonesmart told me these same things during my first year but all I could see then was the unfinished recovery.

Added into the mix, I had a partial, and believed what I’d read that I’d have a quicker and easier recovery than if I’d had a total, not that I even knew what recovery from a total was. From what I was told from my surgeon‘s office, and because of lack of information, I expected to be fully recovered in 2-3 months. Reality and learning the truth about recovery was a hard thing to cope with.

Has anyone used a Bemer machine to help with their recovery? I just started seeing someone to help with pain and I have been using one. Wondering if others have tried it and if they found it helped. Thanks.

@TinAB - Hi - I was wondering how you are doing since our surgeries were so close? Today was a pretty good day for me! Actually it was the best day so far. I had several good hours with little pain. Knee still started to act up around 4:30 - 5:00. Most of the pain is in my thigh, above the knee. I took a break from PT for about 2 weeks to "baby" my knee. I literally spend my time icing, elevating , walking a couple of times a day for 10 minute periods and do very light exercises - leg raises, heal slides. I am not so swollen. I take extra strength Tylenol every 6 hours and am on Voltaren 2 times a day. I wonder when the time comes that my knee is not the entire focus of my day (life). Also wonder when I will be glad I had the surgery and not curse the leg each day. I hope you are well.

I wonder when the time comes that my knee is not the entire focus of my day (life). Also wonder when I will be glad I had the surgery and not curse the leg each day.
I know it doesn't seem like it now, but that day will come. It took about 6 months before I stopped dwelling on my knee and worrying about every little pain. As time goes on you will start to forget about it for short bursts. Then before you know it, it's forgotten about almost all the time. Now, mine feels natural and better than my old, natural knee. You;ll get there, too.

@sistersinhim Thank you for the encouragement! I actually just came from the surgeon for a 3 month check. I asked him the same question and he said a year. I like your answer better! He said I was doing well and to see him again in 6 weeks. Not sure why, but no problem. My past couple of days have been better - less pain and swelling but I am not going to jinx it by adding more activity yet. I really need to work on my gait because my left hip and left glute (? behind) are starting to ache because I am throwing the foot forward and my foot makes a clunking sound when I walk. I sort of walk like Quasi Moto. I guess I need to work on those muscles. Then, I want to work on doing the steps correctly. Anyone have any tips on steps - up and down?
Thank you everyone for your support. I hope you are all doing well.

I'm working on gait and I concentrate, heel to toe and it helps to swing my arms so that walking follows a natural pattern. That was the advice of my physio.

@Goma Swinging arms makes sense. Thanks.. I tend to have my arms straight out or to the sides, like I am ready to fall. I am going to try to swing them.

I actually just came from the surgeon for a 3 month check. I asked him the same question and he said a year. I like your answer better!
I didn't mean that you would completely forget about your knee at six months, just that you probably wouldn't be dwelling on it all the time like in the earlier days. Your surgeon is correct, it takes an average of a year to heal from this surgery. You sound like you're doing quite well with it.
He said I was doing well and to see him again in 6 weeks.

I see no reason for you to go back in 6 weeks unless you are having a problem.

@sistersinhim Thank you for your input. Could the doctor be concerned about the look of the scar and that is why he wants to see me in 6 weeks? He did not say anything about the scar, I guess I am just speculating. ? After looking at the pictures people post, maybe at 3 months mine should look like a white/silver line? Mine is pink and gets purple-ish when cold. Also, after a couple of "better" days, I had a rotten night. I am going to spend today resting, icing and elevating. What is your advice about stairs? How will I know I am ready to go up and down "normally?" Thank you for your help.

I doubt it's because of the changing colors of your incision. Mine did the same thing. It would be purplish in the morning and after being up for a while it would start to turn red. I sent some photos of it and was told it was perfectly normal. It took a while before it became a silver line. I think it has to do with your individual skin pigment.

As for doing stairs, let your knee be your guide. Try it once and see what your knee says. If it hurts or swells more, then it's not ready for doing them the 'adult' way. What was good for me might not be good for you. I was slower doing stairs because it had been over 20 years since I had done them foot over foot. I did not want to fall, plus my knees are weaker than a normal knee because of my patellectomies.

I wish I could figure this thing out. Wednesday and Thursday I seemed too be on the mend. Thursday evening I started to swell and have bad pain . Friday and last night were awful. It is now early (5:30 am) Saturday morning and the pain and stiffness is awful. It has been raining since yesterday and I wonder if that has something to do with it. All I did yesterday was ice and elevate and take two 10 minute walks. I was starting to feel hopeful on Wednesday and now I am so discouraged and worried. Is this par for the course? Could I have hurt myself and not realize how? I feel like I am back to square one and it is very depressing.

Unfortunately this is par for the course. Weather did have a bad effect on me in the first year or two, not so much now at almost 4 years.

It could very well be the weather. Something else it could be...you might have done something in your sleep or slept wrong on it and aggravated it. I've done that. This is truly a rollercoaster ride recovery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Pbrunmier
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom