Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR TKR incision

Kburg430

Country
United States United States
It’s been 5 weeks since my surgery and so far things seem to be going fine. Last year I had my right knee replaced so I’m pretty familiar with what to expect. I’m noticing severe stinging on my incision directly over the knee cap. It just started today and makes it really difficult to do my PT at home today. The incision itself looks great. It’s a little warm as normal and smoothing out. It didn’t really start hurting until I did the scar rubbing I was instructed to do? What could be causing this all of a sudden?

sistersinhim

Country
Please stop doing the scar rubbing. You are inflaming those traumatized tissues underneath it. Since it is causing pain, it's bad for your knee. This is not a no pain=no gain recovery. This is a low pain=more gain recovery. Anything that keeps your tissues painful and swollen is setting your recovery back.

Please give us the exact dates and which knees it was. We will add them to your signature for you. Knowing these things helps us to advise you better.

The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started. As you read more on other members recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect and what not to do, especially regarding PT.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I agree with sistersinhim, it is not essential to rub or massage our incision. Anything we do that causes extra or sudden discomfort is not helping our recovery.

OP
OP
K

Kburg430

Country
My surgery was on February 6th on my left knee. I’ve limited my use of tramadol but have been using extra strength Tylenol. I’ve been icing and elevating. Sleep is the worst just as it was when I had my right knee done last year. I wondered if it was the stitches inside that was causing the pain. When doing PT I feel them pull slightly in the same place it hurts. My understanding is that these could take some time to dissolve.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@Kburg430 - You're recovering from one of the most major surgeries you can have. This is going to take time. It takes a full year for all your tissues to recover completely and there's nothing you can do to speed that up.

This recovery is a marathon, not a sprint, so you need to pace yourself. Slow and steady progress should be your aim and patience is going to be your best friend.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Harryrightknee
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom