TKR TKR for Trochlear Dysplasia & Patella Instability

mooky2923

Country
United States United States
Hi, I am 40 years old and have had knee issues since the age of 12. It was then playing baseball that I suffered my first dislocation leading to a life of pain and issues. I was diagnosed with trochlear dysplasia, where my grooves are near flat, allowing my kneecap to jump.

At the age of 12 and 13, I had lateral releases performed but the drs said my knees were still growing.

My kneecaps continued to dislocate, and at the age of 15, had tibial tubercle osteotomies back to back to realign my knees (this was back in ‘95, before they started replacing the ligament behind the kneecap, and where they still folded/tightened the inside knee muscle).

That seemed to stabilize for the most part. I could do most things I enjoyed but definitely not everything I’d have liked to do.

Fast forward to the present...I’ve had a few times of instability where my kneecap will still jump in/out and I get lots of swelling in my left knee. I have decent arthritis and have started being awake at night.

The drs said arthroscopic is the first step to see what they can repair or clean.

My question, finally, is what is the downside to a knee replacement at 40, when I can recover more easily than 50 or 60, it would get rid of the arthritis, give me more stability through the form of an actual joint? The one you are always told is they only last 10-15 years. I’ve read some are lasting longer. I would rebut with quality of life. Spend another 10-15 years with growing pain and decreasing mobility that WILL happen (hey this is life), then go through this at a older age or be mobile and more pain free, doing the low impact things I enjoy (cycling, hiking, etc), with the possibility my life extends to needing a revision possibly? Just looking for insight from any others who might offer insight. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone had experience personally or with someone who had a TKR With the Legion Total Knee System built with oxinium and is said to last 30 years?

@mooky2923 Welcome to BoneSmart! Sounds like you have been doing your research. Yes, that 10-15 years for joints to last is very old thinking. Technology is on our side. Implants are lasting far longer these days. Think more like 20-30 - maybe a lifetime.
what is the downside to a knee replacement at 40
I can't think of any downside! Why wait in pain watching life on the side lines? Get that knee replaced while there is still plenty of time to use it. Yes, surgery gets rid of all the arthritis and you will have a stable knee again.

@mooky2923 Welcome to BoneSmart! Sounds like you have been doing your research. Yes, that 10-15 years for joints to last is very old thinking. Technology is on our side. Implants are lasting far longer these days. Think more like 20-30 - maybe a lifetime.
what is the downside to a knee replacement at 40
I can't think of any downside! Why wait in pain watching life on the side lines? Get that knee replaced while there is still plenty of time to use it. Yes, surgery gets rid of all the arthritis and you will have a stable knee again.

Orthos keep telling me to hold off as long as possible. I’ve heard first hand stories of waiting too long in pain. I’m only 40.

Orthos keep telling me to hold off as long as possible. I’ve heard first hand stories of waiting too long in pain. I’m only 40.
There are orthopaedic surgeons who do knee replacements on younger patients. We've had people here in their 40s, 30s, and even 20s who have had successful knee replacements. If your surgeons are still telling you to wait, then you need to find a less old-fashioned surgeon.

I believed my surgeon and I waited for 9 long, painful years before my first knee replacement. My quality of life suffered greatly and my mobility decreased until I was almost housebound. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

what is the downside to a knee replacement at 40, when I can recover more easily than 50 or 60,
I hate to burst your bubble on this one, but being younger doesn't make for an easier or faster recovery.

Complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full year whether you are 18 or 80 and there's nothing you can do to speed it up. You'll be able to do most things by 3 months post-op.

Younger people can get very frustrated by this slow recovery, but trying to do too much, too soon, can potentially slow down recovery, by keeping your wounded tissues angry and inflamed. You'll need to find a huge store of patience.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88