tkr date soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindy

Well..I haven't been on too much lately over the holidays, but all of a sudden my op. date is coming close...Jan 16, 09. I've read a lot on this site and gained a lot of info. Been to the pre-op clinic last week and got more info. Did most of you stay 5days or less? And they're very keen to get me up asap walking and bringing clothes to practice dressing etc. It's considered serious op and I intend to do whatever they ask re excercises and everything. Somehow I'm just thinking that the operation must take some time for the body to recuperate and with having M.S. it's going to be tough to press on as fast as they seem to think I will have to. Any comments? Lindy

I am in NO way very knowledgable in MS. I know you can have any variety of certain syptoms with no rhyme or reason. My logic says that you are used to the MS and coping the best you can with that, so you will be OK here too. I liken it to my son. He was born with clubfoot in one of his feet. He is my first and only child. Raising him with that meant more than normal doctors, medical treatments etc. Because I had not raised other children to compare, what went along with this was normal. It was my norm and reality. Your baseline pre-TKR is includes of MS. You'll do it! What does your DR say? I'm sure PT will also have some good guidance that may be specific to you.

It's standard practice to have any surgical patient up and moving as soon as possible. Those that are done in the morning are often got up in the afternoon!

And yes, it is a very major op and so your body will have a lot of recuperating to do. As a result, you will not only feel like you've been run over by a tram for a few days but will tire easily and feel somewhat laclustre! This is perfectly normal. What you need to remember is to balance activity and PT with plenty of rest. Be guided by what your body tells you and for the first couple of weeks, don't push yourself if you feel shattered but neither should you let yourself become a couch potato (I know you won't!) just because it seems an effort. Moderation in all things!

Thanks for the comments and advice. It makes me feel better. The M.S. that I have is not totally debilitating as some have as far as mobility, although there is the weakness and fatigue factor. It may make the rehab a little more difficult re strength but I'm going to give it all I have. And I do know that I will have to rest when my body tells me to. I'm used to that from the M.S. But the relief from the pain in the knees will definitely be a plus!! Lindy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom