TKR TKR coming up, but has anyone had their shoulder previously replaced?

Cactus Man

Country
United States United States
Arthritis has claimed another joint in my body, but I’m wondering if anything has had their shoulder previously replaced and can compare it to a TKR? For context, I had the ream and run procedure done which means that I don’t have any moving parts in my shoulder. My rehab has 2 1/2 times as longer and more difficult than a traditional shoulder replacement but the end result is that I have nothing to wear out. I’m almost 4 years post op and although not 100% I can do everything I want. I’m 65, very active, with an older athletic built. Unfortunately, I’m more scared of this surgery than my shoulder. Speed and quickness have been my calling card playing sports, but I fear I will be nothing close to this. Having watched my mobility rapidly decline has caused depression-like moments, and it’s been by sheer will that I moving forward after interviewing 6 OS. Any feedback would be appreciated. I should add that the shoulder rehab broke me a few times, but I pushed through and see results. I also continue to do rehab exercises and stretches everyday.

@Cactus Man
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!!
We have several members who have had both shoulder and knee replacements. You may want to check out the Shoulder Forms, you will find a link in the blue banner above.

Please post your surgery dates, a moderator will add them to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I’m looking for a comparison between the two in terms of the rehab? I’m told that shoulders are multiple times harder to rehab. I just wonder if that’s true

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid there is no comparison between joint replacement procedures. Every recovery is different - even on the same person.

In general terms, our members on the shoulder forum report the recovery is easier than they assume it would be. My admin colleague @Jamie has had knees, a shoulder and a hip replaced. I've tagged her so she will see your question.

Spend some time in the TKR recovery forum. You will get a good cross section of recoveries from that procedure.

I know you’re looking for something to give you an idea of what your recovery from a knee replacement will be like compared to your shoulder. As Jaycey said, it’s really difficult to do that since every recovery from every surgery is unique. Your best bet is to spend a lot of time reading knee recovery threads to see how it went for a variety of people.

I’m not sure where you heard that shoulders are harder to recover from than knees. That may be the case with rotator cuff injuries, which are notoriously painful and long to recover from. But shoulder replacements are usually not that difficult or lengthy. The ream and run procedure is obviously not a replacement and I don’t have any direct knowledge of recovery from it. My regular shoulder replacement was less difficult and time consuming than either of my knees.

You need to prepare for a year to fully recover from your knee. It could be less. Some people take longer. It depends on your body. But it is not like you will be unable to do things as you recover. You’ll be up and walking immediately with a walker. Your new knee will feel much more stable and sturdy compared to your arthritic joint. It will be important to make gradual advances back to normal activity and exercise and not try to push yourself so hard that you end up with pain and swelling. It’s a fine balance, but very important to your overall outcome.

If you have any specific questions about what you may be able to do and when with your new knee, please don’t hesitate to ask.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back