TKR both knees

Status
Not open for further replies.
@KayeKaye I think some of these joint surgeons are consumed with weight. My Doctor always comments about how nice and slim I am every time I see him... and how it will make my surgery(s) easier. He is nice and trim and for a 60 year old man very fit and into good nutrition and taking care of yourself.

I think it is easier on him(the surgeon in general) as far as the surgery... smaller people might make the operation easier on him( them)... but also, it is true that there is less chance for after surgery problems being of normal BMI..... That saying, many people with joint issues are not slim, and still need the surgery. Many people not slim have the surgery and do JUST FINE!!

To have your doctor tell you at 63 that you need to wait 10 years???? It is time to move on to a different doctor! Do not give up your search.
Best wishes to you as I too lived with both knees bone on bone for 10 years and suffered the same pain you talk about. I pray you find a good surgeon who will listen to you and who will help you. Joan:SUNsmile:

PS: I would recommend having your root canal and any dental work done prior to your surgery. I had a crown and a root canal just two days prior to my hip surgery in September 2014. Best to get it done and address anything dental before surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had Euflexxa injections and cortisone many many times. I was told to resume normal activity but not to be on my feet too long the first day or two.

I don't recall any restrictions when I got my cortisone shot in December. Can't speak for the other.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

I had several different types of injections in both knees. Each time the PA doing the shots advised me to ice and stay off my feet for a day or two. I usually had a series of three shots over three weeks and wouldn't feel it's effect for a month. When it stopped working for my right knee I had it replaced.

I had cortisone injections. They seemed to help for a short amount of time. Then I had to have some other kind injections. Last a bit longer. But when the knees wear out. It's time to make other options and start focusing on pain free life.

As I was told injections its only Temporary. But I was told by Some people injections was really helpful to them. Xxxx best of luck!!

FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015

Any time I had a joint injection the doc said to ice it a few times for the first day.

If you are talking about Synvisc the advice I got was to stay in bed except for trips to bathroom for 2 days

Thanks guys. The left knee with cortisone is stiffer than the right knee with Synvisc. The doctor was in and out so fast but didn't tell me what to do and I even asked but he was on to something else and never answered so I got distracted. Honestly he was just buffaloing me into this and wasn't very helpful, but I did need it.

This is a doctor in town but I have a doctor in Mayo Clinic for the surgery that has been the best. I just can't go to Mayo for every knee visit, it's too far away.

Hi KayeKaye I am going to Rochester to Mayo for bilateral TKR. I was wondering who is your doctor. My pre op app. is Wed. the 3rd and my surgery is Monday June 8. When is your surgery ?

Hi KayeKaye I am going to Rochester to Mayo for bilateral TKR. I was wondering who is your doctor. My pre op app. is Wed. the 3rd and my surgery is Monday June 8. When is your surgery ?

Hi, the doctor I saw is Franklin H. Sim, M.D. I don't have an appointment set for surgery yet but I am aiming for sometime in September. I would love to hear your experiences at Mayo. I will be watching for your thread. Praying for you, hope all goes well. A friend of mine had bilateral TKR with him and has had much success so I am hopeful.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/biographies/sim-franklin-h-m-d/bio-20054072

I have Dr. Trousdale and he is bringing in Dr. Mabry, my femurs are both deformed from an accident, when I was a teenager, so I am a difficult case. I have to travel over 7 hours but the Doctors here say that it is in my best interest to go to Mayo where they are used to working on difficult cases. I am so not looking forward to that long ride home. There is nothing but farm land between here and there and no place to stop. I was going to have surgery last April but I canceled. If I wait any longer I am going to loose the ability to walk so no backing out this time. I am glad to have found someone else who is having surgery at Mayo.

Today the left cortisone knee woke me up in pain. The right Synvisic knee is doing fine. I guess I will have to take some meds today. The doc said I would have an euphoric feeling from the cortisone, but didn't experience that.

TC15 that is a long drive. I wrote on your other thread about my idea of getting a SUV to be more comfortable and I think getting in and out of it would easier since it's higher. What kind of vehicle do you have?
The low car is what started it all for me years ago. I notice getting out of the Trans Am we had that it was like getting off the floor. Whenever I drove that car I was in pain that night. Got rid of that car and have an Accord now which is quite a bit higher.

My BTKR is finally now scheduled for February 17th at the Mayo Clinic. Now I am really in shock, hate operations.

@KayeKaye

We will be here for you with any questions concerns, or just venting about your knees you want to do. We have been where you are and we understand!:console2:

Congratulations on getting a date. Now to get your "nest" planned. :)

My BTKR is finally now scheduled for February 17th at the Mayo Clinic. Now I am really in shock, hate operations.
That is awesome that you have taken that step!!

I had a BTKR and I can tell you that, in looking back, I would have the BTKR and do it all the same way---you have one hospital stay, one surgery, one recovery, and you do not have one done, recover, and then wait to do the next one.

As for hating surgery, I don't know of one person that likes them, but I can tell you this much---when you are fully recovered, you will be certainly glad that you had it done!

Thanks for the kind words. I've put this off for so long. I do wish I had done it sooner but now is better than later. Of course everyone that doesn't know the first thing about TKR's are all telling me to do my rehab and make it hurt or I won't get better. I have read thoroughly the information here on this site, and have found otherwise.

So now the battle begins.

Of course everyone that doesn't know the first thing about TKR's are all telling me to do my rehab and make it hurt or I won't get better.
There are a lot of those people out there---well-meaning, to be sure, but ignorant.

Those who have not gone through it believe it to be another arthroscopic surgery or an athletic-type injury.

Of course everyone that doesn't know the first thing about TKR's are all telling me to do my rehab and make it hurt or I won't get better. I have read thoroughly the information here on this site, and have found otherwise.

So now the battle begins.

I'm embarrassed to say I gave that same advice based upon what I heard about my grandmother's TKR from the 70s. That statement was made out of ignorance and bad information. You have an opportunity (if desired) to try to re-educate those people if they are willing to learn. If not, unless they have the power to impact your life, it's probably best to let them go and just focus on your recovery.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

Well I am scheduled for February 17th at the Mayo Clinic. Here we go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker