TKR August 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrism

Country
United States United States
Hi I am having my TNR on Aug 14 2018.

My story:
I Had a bad accident in Germany when I was 28 I had a knee reconstruction done on both knees with a recovery time of 1 year. the Hospital, Doctors and nurses where super good and nice and helped me on my way. After one year I started playing Soccer in a league again and as a hobby I played Ice Hockey. I am person that pushes himself very very, hard and still do if needed. Now I am 51 and time has caught up with me and I need a total knee replacement in both knees but will do one at a time. reading in here has helped me see I need to not push myself that hard. I guess..

I am pretty nervous as I am not a person to sit around and wait. I am always busy. I know this is not right, but I was raised to see pain as weakness leaving my body. Military style. if you have not lost 1 liter of blood its not bad. My wife said I am only that strict to myself. I am still very nerves. my goal is getting back to a as pain free life as possible and back to being active again. any help or thoughts will be totally appreciated.....

Welcome to Bonesmart!

Knee replacement is a long recovery, but it won’t be forever. Keep that in mind.

In the early days you will need lots of rest, so even though you feel you are doing nothing, try to look at it as if you are working hard to give your body the best circumstance in which to do it’s job of healing.

Best wishes!

chrism,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!

Your surgery is coming up soon, here are the recovery guidelines, to give you a head start on the reading. The articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

We’ve had members who have gone on after TKR (sometimes bilateral) to enjoy very active lives, including a gentleman who plays league soccer. The key to returning successfully to sports is to “know your knee(s).” These members were very disciplined in their recoveries and made a point of not overdoing activity early on. They let their knee(s) dictate how much they could do and didn’t try to force a “faster” or “better” recovery. The best recovery is the one that allows your knee(s) to heal fully and doesn’t get into a cycle of inflammation and swelling that can set back that healing.

Basically... patience. Heal the knee. Employ only moderate activity and exercise while it heals — this is the discipline part. Healing will take several months at least, but you will see progress. Once the knee is healed you can train it back up to whatever level of activity you want to enjoy. (Keep in mind, though, that a replaced knee is not an original knee and won’t hold up as well for marathon running, competitive football or basketball, or weight-lifting.)

Here’s a good thread with amazing knee recoveries for inspiration: https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/stories-of-amazing-knee-recoveries.41/?order=post_date

thanks do much for all your replies. I am reading all things I can find because I read it is very important to keep it moving from the start, PT. so I hope the doctors let me know what is right. I will keep you posted.

All you need to do is keep your knee moving gently. You don't need to do lots of exercises. In fact, for the first few weeks, just walking around your house is sufficient exercise for a new knee.

Hi, sorry I never posted anything.

Been having problems with the pain meds, as soon as I take them I am gone, dead tired and can't remember anything that is told to me. :loll:

Surgery was good, had extreme pain in the beginning, first 2 weeks, now it's better but I tried to get of meds too fast. That was not too good, didn't know that you have to get off gradually. Could not remember the doc told me that.

Having big problems with straightening the knee out. One day I was at 4 degrees and the next I am at 13 degrees. But PT says we will get there. Have no problems with bending the knee I am over 105 if I remember right. PT said I am ahead of the game there.

But I am ready to get back to work. I hate laying around. I have no swelling at all. You can hardly tell that I was operated on, only the bandage gives it up.

I walk a lot around the house and I even go in the yard when my son goes with me. He will not allow me to go alone. If you fall he said, I will be mad, don't go alone. All in all it's going up hill and this is day 16. Will keep you posted.... chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads