TKR TKR after age 75?

CAB123

Country
United States United States
I am 78 years old and about to schedule TKR of left knee sometime in next couple months depending on surgery schedule. I am interested in hearing any thoughts and/or insights from those in my age group regarding the surgery, recovery, PT, etc. My goal is to be recovered enough to dog-sit my "grandogs" for 2 weeks in late August by staying at daughter's house - bedroom on first floor. Is that reasonable? I have lumbar stenosis/osteoarthritis which pain is sort of controlled/managed by an implanted spinal cord stimulator. The stenosis, combined with knee pain, keeps me from being very active. On good days, I can manage a grocery store trip, and I do use a cane - mostly for balance and also knee pain when it is acting up. Do not use the cane while getting around at home unless it's a really bad knee pain day.

I think it is wonderful that you want to help out your daughter and watch the grandogs. However, there are so many variables with this that I can only ask you questions. You say the surgery will be in the next several months - to me that means March, April or May sometime. If the surgery was at the end of May that would give you two months to begin healing. In that two months you will mainly rest, elevate your leg and ice. You will also most likely be using a walker for short walks around the house then back to icing and elevating. My point being you won't have a whole lot of energy.

Are these big dogs? I wouldn't think you would be able to walk them on a leash, no matter how good of dogs they are. Big dogs that jump up will be a huge problem - your balance will still be not steady. You'll definitely want your walker with you, simply to protect your leg. Little dogs can be a trip hazard also. You'll have to be able to fill water bowls and put them on the ground, and their food bowls. It can be done, I'm just trying to help you think through what all you will be doing. Will you go outside when the dogs go out? If so, are there steps? Sitting outside for a bit several times a day might feel good if there is a comfy chair for you. Hopefully you won't have to police the yard of poo, as that could get very old and difficult quickly.

I think you need to discuss this with your surgeon and also with your daughter. By the way, will she be helping you post-op? She might not realize how involved a TKR truly is, and that recovery is a year long process. Both you & your daughter have to be on the same page about your recovery and your ability to keep the grandogs.

@CAB123 Your age is actually a in the "normal" range for TKR. But as my colleague already pointed out - depending on when the surgery is scheduled, you may not be physically ready to walk those dogs.

Please have a realistic discussion with your surgeon and your daughter. And get that TKR as soon as you can. Your quality of life is a priority!

The biggest question I have is will you be walking the dogs on a leash? Next biggest question is the size and temperament of the dogs.

I’m at 6.5 months post op and am only just now starting to walk my 90lb well behaved dog. However, I was able to start feeding him and my other dog and letting them in and out within the first week or two. Both of my dogs are very calm and quiet and didn’t jostle me, run in front of me, jump on me, etc.

Also, regarding your age: as Jacey pointed out, you’re at a very normal age for a TKR. I had mine at age 44, and it didn’t make my recovery any easier. From reading loads of stories here on BoneSmart, age doesn’t seem to be much of a factor. There are 80 yr olds who left me in the dust, astounded by their rapid progress.

I appreciate the quick responses. The dogs in question are old (like me!!) - a 25 pound beagle and a 60 pound retired K-9 dutch shepherd. Due to age they don't jump up anymore but the K-9 can get underfoot at mealtimes. There's a doggie door with a very large yard so do not need to be walked No poo control for me- that's asking for above and beyond doggie duties- even if I had ability to do so! I had not thought about putting down food and water bowls. There is a small step down to a back patio which I have always enjoyed using while there.

My surgeon appointment is later this week so I should know scheduling then. My daughter travels out of state a good bit and does not know her travel plans too much in advance. I am going to arrange for a caretaker the first 7-10 days as required. Not sure if I need someone overnight for a few nights as well - will cross that bridge later.

@CAB123 that all sounds really doable to me! The only thing I would say is have a backup person you can call in case of emergency. If you should need to get one of the dogs to the vet, etc you might need someone to come help.

The dogs in question are old (like me!!) - a 25 pound beagle and a 60 pound retired K-9 dutch shepherd. Due to age they don't jump up anymore but the K-9 can get underfoot at mealtimes.
That's good. I am always concerned about falling/ tripping and hence have no pets after my last cat passed. They don't mean harm but dogs particularly can pull you down or leashes can tangle legs. As only one is frisky you should be ok, but ask for help as you need and remember you may be a bit groggy from meds you will be on initially.

Found out today that I am scheduled for TKR on left knee on March 29. Keeping fingers crossed and NOT looking forward to the journey.

@CAB123 congratulations on your surgery date. I’m sorry you’re dreading the recovery, and it’s understandable. But if you go into it armed with knowledge and fully prepared, you will get through it. You have a great resource for advice and support right here, and since you’ve been reading up on BoneSmart you’ll be much more prepared than most people are for TKR recovery. Gather your recovery aids and plan your nest. Try not to dwell on how hard it’s going to be. Make plans to have visitors if that’s something you’ll want, fill your queue with movies to watch and get some new books if you’re a reader. You will be able to take walks and sit in the sun this summer, and just think about how great you’re going to be feeling by the holidays! You got this, CAB

I would highly recommend reading the book “Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster” by Peggy Huddleston. It helped me immensely to get ready for 3 of the 4 spinal surgeries I had back in 2014-2016. I had not heard of this book when I had the first surgery, but in the remaining 3 I was relaxed and confident going in, the surgeries went perfectly, and the recovery times were faster that I expected. Now it’s time to go back and reread this book as I prepare for my TLKR on May 10th.

Best Wishes for your surgery tomorrow!
I hope you'll join us on the Knee Recovery forum and share your progress with us there.
We'd love to support you as you're healing. :)
@CAB123

All the best today @CAB123 ! See you on the other side soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts