BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

TKR 2016 Other Knee Needs Replacing

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by clickety, Sep 12, 2017.

1. clickety

clickety

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had TKR on my left knee at the end of 2015 but my other knee is nearing the stage of needing replacing. Is it best I have the same type of device fitted to my other knee and would I be best going back to the original surgeon to carry out the procedure.

Tags:
  2. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi and welcome to BoneSmart!

It really doesn't matter actually. If you are going to the same surgeon then it's like you will have the same device but if not, then not. But it really doesn't matter.

3. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

United States United States
    If you like the job the surgeon did on the first knee, why not stay with that surgeon? You might get the same type of implant, but it's also possible your surgeon is using a different model now. You can talk about that when you schedule surgery. It won't matter if you have different models of implant; your knees will look like knees, and function like knees, and only on x-ray would anyone notice. You have two different models going on right now, if you think about it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    The different types of knee replacement are basically all pretty similar. It's far more important to have a good surgeon than it is to place your faith in a particular implant.
    If you have a good surgeon, he/she will choose a type of implant that is suitable for you and in which he/she has confidence and experience.