TKR TKR 15th May

Hello I am new to the group and had right TKR on 15th May. I am doing ok I think but hope to learn and connect to anyone on the same path.
Hi , I had my TKR on May 18. How are you doing? Would love to chat. I am doing okay but Wish I were further along in my recovery.,
I am doing ok I think. My scar is healing well and I am able to move quite well on 1 stick. Sleep has been difficult at night and I am just not a great one for taking naps in the day. I am resting though and icing it’s just the sleep itself that’s missing. ! Last night was better though and I slept until 3 am rather than 1am. I do eventually go back to sleep but have to move around first. As the swelling has gone down gradually I have found I am able to bend my leg much more and so much easier. I am finding as I do get more mobile I am experiencing odd twinges and different painful bits. It’s hard to know what is normal and what should be a concern.
how are you getting on?

Hi Maybe,

Yes, I have had those odd twinges and zingers, is what I call them. They feel different than the general achiness… I had those last time, too, and someone suggested they are nerves doing self-repair. Last time, a massage therapist tried using a magnesium gel on those parts of my leg and it was quite successful at eleviating the discomfort. As I understand it, many of us need more magnesium as we heal. At any rate, I bought some this time and have used it periodically when there are weird feelings like that. I also tried using it last night right around the incision edges, because my leg was so super sensitive the night before…it worked! No super sensitive incision last night, and I slept much better!

I was thinking that it might be a nerve ending thing. I will definitely try the magnesium- thanks for the heads up.

I am really keen to get into the garden as the weather is so lovely. We have a flight of slow sloping grave steps (photo attached) any thoughts on giving it a go?

Attachments

• 7841C497-B689-4F26-A37F-0AF064FF7406.jpeg
    7841C497-B689-4F26-A37F-0AF064FF7406.jpeg
    425.9 KB · Views: 149
Definitely use either a walker or cane but it looks easy to maneuver.

Hi, Maybe
I had my surgery on May 17, so we are pretty much the same recovery period. I have zingers and shooting pain sometimes also. It probably is the nerve endings. Sounds like you are doing fine. I had a little set back ,inadvertently squatted on both knees for too long, but it only took about 24 hrs to start feeling better again. I walk with a cane outside but inside can walk fine without. I wish I could bend more but I know it’s early days. I tried driving around the block today. It was okay, but don’t think I am ready to drive to a store yet. Maybe in another week or so. I am getting really antsy. How about you?

Hi - I had my right knee done the day before you xx

Wow you are doing really well. I can’t wait until I can drive again. Having been in lockdown for so long everything started to open up just as I was having surgery so really going stir crazy! I am still swinging a cane around indoors but I don’t really need it now. I haven’t been outside much as we live in quite an isolated rural spot which means there are no pavements outside. I am hoping my other half will drive me into our local village so I can walk safely on the pavement. Have you started doing household stuff yet? My knee has been very stiff, bruised and swollen so bending was tricky but all of a sudden it seems to have decided to bend quite well and without much pain.

I am really keen to get into the garden as the weather is so lovely. We have a flight of slow sloping grave steps (photo attached) any thoughts on giving it a go?
I’ve been in my garden doing gentle bits

Hi, Maybe
I had my surgery on May 17, so we are pretty much the same recovery period. I have zingers and shooting pain sometimes also. It probably is the nerve endings. Sounds like you are doing fine. I had a little set back ,inadvertently squatted on both knees for too long, but it only took about 24 hrs to start feeling better again. I walk with a cane outside but inside can walk fine without. I wish I could bend more but I know it’s early days. I tried driving around the block today. It was okay, but don’t think I am ready to drive to a store yet. Maybe in another week or so. I am getting really antsy. How about you?
I’m near to you too - finding things okay but the bone ache startedyesterday - something new to add to the list

Hi everyone I have a quick question. My scar has healed really well and hardly visible. Right at the top I have had a funny little lumpy scab which I now think is an internal stitch that has poked through. It looks like it has been quite a big knot. It’s the only spot that isn’t completely healed. Do I pull it out or just leave it?

I had a similar situation - and it was one or two stitches that didn't want to dissolve, so were trying to surface. I wouldn't touch it myself - saw the physician's assistant who sterilized it, pulled the errant stitches, and prescribed antibiotics. Warm compresses also help to bring the infectious stuff (a medical term:) to the surface. I'm just being super careful not to cause any undue mischief to the knee.

Call your surgeon and see how he/she wants to handle it.

Hi everyone - I have been doing really well post right TKR and reached 12 weeks yesterday !
About 4 weeks ago I realised that a stubborn tiny scab right at the top of my otherwise very well healed scar was a suture. It didn’t budge and I was reluctant to fiddle with it myself so I called the hospital. They advised me to come in and the nurse trimmed the end of the suture and covered with a dry dressing with advice to wait for it to scab over and it would heal quickly. That was nearly 3 weeks ago. Over the next couple of weeks it became quite sore, shiny with a lump. On Friday I went back and the Dr and nurse said it was probably a blood blister but they would aspirate to make sure. They did this and removed a small amount of blood with a needle. Although there was no evidence of infection I was given a 5 day course of antibiotics and told to keep it dry with clean dressings every day and come back if I was concerned. I am now left with a circular very black scab. It’s still a bit sore but I just wanted to know if anyone else had had a similar experience and how long it would take to heal and how this has happened.
thanksMaybe

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back