TKR TKR 15th May

OP
OP
M

Maybe

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello I am new to the group and had right TKR on 15th May. I am doing ok I think but hope to learn and connect to anyone on the same path.
Hi , I had my TKR on May 18. How are you doing? Would love to chat. I am doing okay but Wish I were further along in my recovery.,
I am doing ok I think. My scar is healing well and I am able to move quite well on 1 stick. Sleep has been difficult at night and I am just not a great one for taking naps in the day. I am resting though and icing it’s just the sleep itself that’s missing. ! Last night was better though and I slept until 3 am rather than 1am. I do eventually go back to sleep but have to move around first. As the swelling has gone down gradually I have found I am able to bend my leg much more and so much easier. I am finding as I do get more mobile I am experiencing odd twinges and different painful bits. It’s hard to know what is normal and what should be a concern.
how are you getting on?

BBCG

Staff member since June 2021
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Hi Maybe,

Yes, I have had those odd twinges and zingers, is what I call them. They feel different than the general achiness… I had those last time, too, and someone suggested they are nerves doing self-repair. Last time, a massage therapist tried using a magnesium gel on those parts of my leg and it was quite successful at eleviating the discomfort. As I understand it, many of us need more magnesium as we heal. At any rate, I bought some this time and have used it periodically when there are weird feelings like that. I also tried using it last night right around the incision edges, because my leg was so super sensitive the night before…it worked! No super sensitive incision last night, and I slept much better!

OP
OP
M

Maybe

Country
I was thinking that it might be a nerve ending thing. I will definitely try the magnesium- thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
M

Maybe

Country
I am really keen to get into the garden as the weather is so lovely. We have a flight of slow sloping grave steps (photo attached) any thoughts on giving it a go?

Attachments

• 7841C497-B689-4F26-A37F-0AF064FF7406.jpeg
    7841C497-B689-4F26-A37F-0AF064FF7406.jpeg
    466.3 KB · Views: 98

FourCats

senior
Country
Definitely use either a walker or cane but it looks easy to maneuver.

smokey1

Country
Hi, Maybe
I had my surgery on May 17, so we are pretty much the same recovery period. I have zingers and shooting pain sometimes also. It probably is the nerve endings. Sounds like you are doing fine. I had a little set back ,inadvertently squatted on both knees for too long, but it only took about 24 hrs to start feeling better again. I walk with a cane outside but inside can walk fine without. I wish I could bend more but I know it’s early days. I tried driving around the block today. It was okay, but don’t think I am ready to drive to a store yet. Maybe in another week or so. I am getting really antsy. How about you?

Rollem1

Country
Hi - I had my right knee done the day before you xx

OP
OP
M

Maybe

Country
Wow you are doing really well. I can’t wait until I can drive again. Having been in lockdown for so long everything started to open up just as I was having surgery so really going stir crazy! I am still swinging a cane around indoors but I don’t really need it now. I haven’t been outside much as we live in quite an isolated rural spot which means there are no pavements outside. I am hoping my other half will drive me into our local village so I can walk safely on the pavement. Have you started doing household stuff yet? My knee has been very stiff, bruised and swollen so bending was tricky but all of a sudden it seems to have decided to bend quite well and without much pain.

Rollem1

Country
I am really keen to get into the garden as the weather is so lovely. We have a flight of slow sloping grave steps (photo attached) any thoughts on giving it a go?
I’ve been in my garden doing gentle bits

Rollem1

Country
Hi, Maybe
I had my surgery on May 17, so we are pretty much the same recovery period. I have zingers and shooting pain sometimes also. It probably is the nerve endings. Sounds like you are doing fine. I had a little set back ,inadvertently squatted on both knees for too long, but it only took about 24 hrs to start feeling better again. I walk with a cane outside but inside can walk fine without. I wish I could bend more but I know it’s early days. I tried driving around the block today. It was okay, but don’t think I am ready to drive to a store yet. Maybe in another week or so. I am getting really antsy. How about you?
I’m near to you too - finding things okay but the bone ache startedyesterday - something new to add to the list

OP
OP
M

Maybe

Country
Hi everyone I have a quick question. My scar has healed really well and hardly visible. Right at the top I have had a funny little lumpy scab which I now think is an internal stitch that has poked through. It looks like it has been quite a big knot. It’s the only spot that isn’t completely healed. Do I pull it out or just leave it?

Atkinson8

Country
I had a similar situation - and it was one or two stitches that didn't want to dissolve, so were trying to surface. I wouldn't touch it myself - saw the physician's assistant who sterilized it, pulled the errant stitches, and prescribed antibiotics. Warm compresses also help to bring the infectious stuff (a medical term:) to the surface. I'm just being super careful not to cause any undue mischief to the knee.

Jockette

Staff member since March 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Call your surgeon and see how he/she wants to handle it.

OP
OP
M

Maybe

Country
Hi everyone - I have been doing really well post right TKR and reached 12 weeks yesterday !
About 4 weeks ago I realised that a stubborn tiny scab right at the top of my otherwise very well healed scar was a suture. It didn’t budge and I was reluctant to fiddle with it myself so I called the hospital. They advised me to come in and the nurse trimmed the end of the suture and covered with a dry dressing with advice to wait for it to scab over and it would heal quickly. That was nearly 3 weeks ago. Over the next couple of weeks it became quite sore, shiny with a lump. On Friday I went back and the Dr and nurse said it was probably a blood blister but they would aspirate to make sure. They did this and removed a small amount of blood with a needle. Although there was no evidence of infection I was given a 5 day course of antibiotics and told to keep it dry with clean dressings every day and come back if I was concerned. I am now left with a circular very black scab. It’s still a bit sore but I just wanted to know if anyone else had had a similar experience and how long it would take to heal and how this has happened.
thanksMaybe

Roy Gardiner

Staff member since February 2013
BoneSmart Staff
Country
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lyla
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom