TKR Second TKR

Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

I was able to do the recumbent bike about 10 days. My spin bike about 3.5 weeks to fully go around. I have to have the seat high but i can pedal.
You’re lucky you can do the bike without pain! I had bilateral TKR on 7/6/20. I started doing the recumbent stepper as a 5 minute warm up at PT in week 2. I loved it; it loosened my knees up so nicely. Last week my therapist put me on the stationary bike for an 8 minute warmup. My range of motion was ready for it, but it was so hard! My quads hurt; the back of my right knee hurt. The next two days I was so sore I could barely walk. I rode it again for 5 minutes on Monday with the same result only I was slightly less sore on Tuesday. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
So I am doing well but have a question regarding ROM. My knee hurts when i bend on the backside. Is that normal? It doesn’t feel swollen but thats where the pain is when I bend. I think the tendons are just super tight?
I have been having some major issues with back of knee pain in my right knee since surgery. The left is totally fine. Sometimes it’s so bad that the pain radiates down to my calf, around to my shin, and down to my foot. Then all the muscles in the lower leg get knotted up. It is starting to hamper my recovery, and my right knee is falling behind my left. During week 1, I went on muscle relaxers for it. Riding the exercise bike on Monday really aggravated it. I was able to show my therapist exactly what was happening, and he immediately massaged out the knots. I asked which tendons were causing the problem. He said it is my hamstring. It is super tight, so he gave me some exercises/stretches to help. Try walking backwards - toe, then heel, and focus on the heel stretch when you do it.

As soon as I finish my 30 days on blood thinners (Xarelto), I’ll be able to take Advil, which should really help with the hamstring issue.

I was able to do the recumbent bike about 10 days. My spin bike about 3.5 weeks to fully go around. I have to have the seat high but i can pedal.
You’re lucky you can do the bike without pain! I had bilateral TKR on 7/6/20. I started doing the recumbent stepper as a 5 minute warm up at PT in week 2. I loved it; it loosened my knees up so nicely. Last week my therapist put me on the stationary bike for an 8 minute warmup. My range of motion was ready for it, but it was so hard! My quads hurt; the back of my right knee hurt. The next two days I was so sore I could barely walk. I rode it again for 5 minutes on Monday with the same result only I was slightly less sore on Tuesday. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
So I am doing well but have a question regarding ROM. My knee hurts when i bend on the backside. Is that normal? It doesn’t feel swollen but thats where the pain is when I bend. I think the tendons are just super tight?
I have been having some major issues with back of knee pain in my right knee since surgery. The left is totally fine. Sometimes it’s so bad that the pain radiates down to my calf, around to my shin, and down to my foot. Then all the muscles in the lower leg get knotted up. It is starting to hamper my recovery, and my right knee is falling behind my left. During week 1, I went on muscle relaxers for it. Riding the exercise bike on Monday really aggravated it. I was able to show my therapist exactly what was happening, and he immediately massaged out the knots. I asked which tendons were causing the problem. He said it is my hamstring. It is super tight, so he gave me some exercises/stretches to help. Try walking backwards - toe, then heel, and focus on the heel stretch when you do it.

As soon as I finish my 30 days on blood thinners (Xarelto), I’ll be able to take Advil, which should really help with the hamstring issue.

Thank you for the advice. My therapist agrees its the hamstring and has been massaging the back of my leg/knee. The pain is really only there when i bend my knee and it is the only real shrp pain I have at this point and what seems like is stopping me from bending my knee more. I do get soreness if i overdo it but mostly the pain is when i bend to far.

I have my 6 week follow up this week and i hope to schedule my right knee. Months away but I need time to plan work, kids, etc. overall my knee feels great except it still being swollen and ROM not . i am planning to atart some swimming exercise and see how that goes this week.

The other day i was sitting in my couch with my husband and realized inwas sitting with my kegs crossed, my left knee was not all the way bent but I was very excited that it was just a normal thing I didnt even think about. I hadn't been able tondo that for a long while!!!

So had my 6 week post op and Dr is surprised at how far I am. We went ahead and scheduled my right knee for October. I am going to talk to the PT today about stoping PT as my rom is at 130 and I question if I need PT. Not sure how long they want you to gonfor but i am at 130 and 0 and it will just get better with time. I really have minimal pain, if i move wrong or something but otherwise nothing. I don’t even have a limp at this point. At this point my left knee is more painful than my knew one. So I can’t wait to het that done and have good knees!!!

I’m really jealous!!! I’m at 6 weeks post op as well, but I had both knees done. I’m only at 105L and 100R. I wish I was at 130!!!! Heck I’d be happy at 115-120. I’ve just stalled out over the last couple of weeks.

Congrats!!! I hope your 2nd knee goes as well as your first one!

I can’t imagine both at same time! Ivam sure i would not be at 130 if i had. I stalled for a few weeks at about 114 Then suddenly it seemed to unswell a lot? You will get there? You had double major surgery! Be patient!

So had my 6 week post op and Dr is surprised at how far I am. We went ahead and scheduled my right knee for October. I am going to talk to the PT today about stoping PT as my rom is at 130 and I question if I need PT. Not sure how long they want you to gonfor but i am at 130 and 0 and it will just get better with time. I really have minimal pain, if i move wrong or something but otherwise nothing. I don’t even have a limp at this point. At this point my left knee is more painful than my knew one. So I can’t wait to het that done and have good knees!!!
Kagabor; if you are at 130rom and 0 on straightening then you don't need any more PT. You have enough bend to do anything you want. You will still have swelling and tightness for a while due to the healing process under the skin; but that will gradually decrease as time passes. Great job; be patient; don't rush anything. Doodlebug

Good luck with your other tkr in October. I just had my 2nd one on the 30th of July. I'm glad it's all over with now. I still have a lot of recovery time but I can deal with that knowing it will get better. I know you will feel the same way. Prayers to you for a great recovery. Doodlebug

Kagabor; if you are at 130rom and 0 on straightening then you don't need any more PT. You have enough bend to do anything you want. You will still have swelling and tightness for a while due to the healing process under the skin; but that will gradually decrease as time passes. Great job; be patient; don't rush anything. Doodlebug
Thanks! I agree with PT and am finishing up next week or so. I am taking it easy but am happy with how good my knee feels. While there is discomfort and swelling along with it feeling different it is so much better than the old knee. I am scheduled to have my RTKR OCT 21 which is just shy of four months. I am ready to have knees that work again!

Update on my knee. Overall I really have no complaints and feel I am super lucky. My knee is uncomfortable at tones due to swelling and is tender but it does not hurt much. I am scheduled for my other knee OCT 21 and am actually looking forward to the end result. If you would have asked me three weeks after my surgery I would likely ave not been so optimistic about the other knee. But, I am seeing results and am excited to have good knees again.
I know at some point I will have redo this process again as I am very young and likely will need new knees again. But I am hopeful that these knees will improve my life and get me back to being active. I really am surprised at how good my knee feels!

I know at some point I will have redo this process again as I am very young and likely will need new knees again.
Not necessarily. Implants have been greatly improved in the last few years. Yours could last many, many years.

I have been assured they will not last long enough. I highly expect I will have it done again as I am not even 40..... I can hope though :)

Hi @Kagabor Thank you for the surgery date for your left knee. I've put it in your signature and added your name to the October Feisties surgery thread.

I hope your second TKR goes as well as the first one has, but don't expect everything to be the same. Each knee is different and each recovery is different.

Thank you! I hope it goes as well as this one too, however I am preparing for it to be harder? It will be longer to get back to “normal” as I wont be able to drive as soon.
Overall I feel good. I am 8 weeks today and My ROm fluctuates between 123-130ish. Somedays it is more swollen. I pretty much am just doing normal things and rest when my knee asks. Occasionally my hamatring seems to tighten up so I stretch it more frequently . My right knee seems to be getting worse, I am sure the compensation has not helped it.
hopefully it will hang in there until surgery. I am looking forward to having good knees!

Update. So I am doing well no pain meds except tylenol and meloxicam, these are mostly fir my bad knee now. Yesterday I started lap seimming again. I was very surprised at absolutely no pain with all strokes except Breast. I seam about a a mile in about 40 min. It felt good to be back in the pool and it will help strengthen my legs and new knee for my LTKR in Oct. I am also riding my cycling bike about 30 min a day.

i still have some weird feelings right behind my knee, it feels like tight tendons mostly, and only when bent a certain way. But overall for 10 weeks I feel good. Now just hoping my left knee goes as well than I am back to enjoying life!!!!

So I am 5 days out from my RTK, I am not looking forward to the initial few weeks! Hopefully my knee heals as well as my Left. Last time I was in the hospital 4 nights ( it was going to be one night) because my pain was jot controlled at all.

My Dr started out with the lower medication and worked up. This time the plan is to start with the stronger medication And work down! I hope that this helps with the initial pain. I am also greatful my dr. Is willing to medicate based on my personal needs.
I am slightly anxious but but not near as much as the first knee. We shall see how things go but at least I have an idea this time and am more prepared, I think.

Can we change my title to Second TKR please.

Thread title changed for you @Kagabor . Not long now!

Congratulations on your new right knee :yes!: at least having had your left knee done previously you know what to expect, meanwhile I will leave you the BoneSmart guidelines to save you looking for them again.
I have requested a title change for you x

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads