BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] TKR 07-23 sharp knee pain

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Honey007, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Honey007

Honey007 junior member

United States United States
    Well I say that now!

Yesterday was surgery. Lucky enough to find great Dr. in Nashville in its own surgery center. Prepped for surgery, they said they would give me spinal injection and then put me under: I remember them poking me about 7 times and the next thing you know I woke up to her "it’s all over, you did great!”

Waited in recovery for 2-3 hours as they were getting room ready. So busy people come from all over to my Dr.

Got settled in, then a barrage of different medical people going over vitals, ice machine, info for home, etc., given meds and dinner then alone for 5 hrs. Sent husband home around 4:30. He was in worse shape from sitting in a crowded noisy waiting room for hours. I love my alone time. Watched Back to back Dance moms, surfed iPad wanting to buy ridiculous things.

Husband said do not by anything you are on medication! Lol

Tried to get to stay today but I am recovering well. Did physical therapy, a little walking, a few stairs and practiced getting in and out of car. Bending knee to 90% which is what they want to see. Leaving here with a new walker, ice machine and compression hose.
    In great spirits.

Taking pain pills every 5 hrs except when I was sleeping. Knee does hurt when doing exercises. My lovely Dr stopped in today to check on me and he said my knee had been in really bad shape. I had him take a pick of it during surgery and he did! It was quite a sight!

I spent so much time pre-surgery looking online for recliner. It should be there today. So expensive. It took me forever to find a decent leather motorized recliner. I think it helped me take mind off surgery. Oh and then finding the perfect robe which I have yet to wear as they gave me shorts and a tee to wear. So nice!

Dr did say the third and fourth day may be hard so I will be prepared.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi and Welcome!

Best wishes for a great recovery!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well done you! I made a help article in our Forum Library Recliner chairs: things you need to know if buying one for your recovery.

He's being a bit optimistic! Both times I had knees done, I found it was 4-6 weeks that were hard! Make sure you stock up on pain meds!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. InkedMarie

InkedMarie graduate

Glad to hear it’s going well. Take your meds on time, not when you feel pain. Hard to catch up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. winemama

winemama senior

Glad thing are going well, please keep up with pain meds, it is so important

• Like Like x 1
  6. luvcats

luvcats graduate

I agree with everyone else, set an alarm and take your meds on schedule. If the pain gets ahead of you, it is very, very not fun. :thud:

Enjoy the new recliner!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Honey007

Honey007 junior member

Thank you - not here yet but bed is fine for now!

Ok, now I’m in pain. Yikes!

In the hospital I was asked over and over what my pain number is. Since I was not moving, it was a 2-3.

I just got home and am in a 5-6 with pain med. what really hurts is just above knee, and upper thigh. I thought I knew what to expect but this thigh pain is unexpected.

So I googled it and I read that your thigh muscle is cut. I will need to read up more. Has anyone experienced this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2019
  8. Indygo

Indygo junior member

Yup! Thigh, calf and behind the knee pain are all normal. The thigh pain has something to do with the tourniquet I think, but @Josephine will know. I didn’t know anything about the block and the fact that it wears off on day 2 or 3. The pain is worse then but gets better every day after that! All very normal!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    It's actually really uncommon for your thigh muscle to be cut nowadays. Doing that is considered rather old-fashioned, as it's not necessary.
    Instead, your thigh muscle is pulled aside and held there with retractors.

Your thigh tissues will be sore from being handled during the surgery and if you've had a tourniquet that may also give you thigh pain.

You can try icing your thigh, to see if that helps decrease its pain. If icing doesn't work, try a warm heat, such as a wheat bag - but keep the heat source well away from your knee.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. winemama

winemama senior

For the next week or so, you’ll discover all sorts of new pain. Everyone is different, my last TKR my calf and ankle hurt the worst. Just keep up on the pain meds and ice ice ice

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ApricotPie

ApricotPie member

The post surgery pain package in the hospital is nothing short of amazing. Alas, upon returning home we are back in the real world. My worst day was the day after surgery when I went home. The pain was likely the worst I have ever experienced. This is one area that needs attention, imho. A double dose of the oxycodone for the first 24 to 48 hours would have kept the pain in the area of bad but livable.

RTKR July 15, 2019

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had that upper thigh pain after my revision-and I feel for you. The good news is it does go away, although I don't remember exactly how long it took. The pain we experience after the surgery is different than the constant, unrelenting pain of a bone-on-bone knee before a TKR, and will improve with time. Just make good use of your ice machine-it really does help calm pain.

I used frozen water bottles in my machine. I had 12 in the kitchen freezer and more in the outside freezer just in case. Each morning, when we changed the water, we added 4 of the frozen bottles, some water and some ice to the fill line to get the water really cold from the start. It meant the water was cold all the time, it helped keep the bottles frozen longer, and also meant it lasted most of the night since I kept the wrap on my knee all night long, in addition to the hours I iced every day. If you just put the bottles in the machine then add water to the fill line, the water isn't as cold, the bottles melt a lot sooner, and take a while to cool the water. You only have to do it once a day as long as you rotate the bottles as they are melting, and it doesn't take much ice. Just keep checking the bottles and replace them as needed to ensure the water stays nice and cold. My ice maker was easily able to keep up since we only added some ice once a day. I would have had hubby buy some bags of ice if needed, but we never did need to supplement with them since we made sure the water was always cold, even when I was taking a break from icing to walk, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted as you recover!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That must have been a very old article you read. Up until about 2000, it was somewhat common to do a "quads snip" in order to extend the access into the knee but that hasn't been done for years! You can see in this picture how the surgeon would extend the incision up alongside the quads muscle but they soon found that it wasn't in the best interests of the patients in terms of recovery. So they tend not to do it anymore.

quads sparing MIS.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. Honey007

Honey007 junior member

Had TKR on Tuesday and home from hospital at 4 ish yesterday. So much pain last evening, but better today. I feel like I have a giant Boa wrapped around knee! Tomorrow starts my first day of physical therapy. A bit nervous. I’m thinking once the swelling goes down a bit, it will allow me to bend that knee more. Nurse taught me how to do foot slides sitting in chair. I’m afraid I have been keeping it so straight, that scar tissue may already be forming and I will not be able to bend it, yet worried about doing anything to make it swell more. It’s a fine line I guess.
    Still waiting on recliner that was supposed to be here yesterday. Looks like it will be here end of day today. Love to hear what anyone would have done differently in first couple days post op, and how your first day of therapy
    Went!

15. Honey007

Honey007 junior member

Thanks to Josephine for looking into this and also encouraging me to use the Bonesmart list of physicians or I would not be here recovering today.

Instead I would be trudging along maybe going with the last surgeon I looked into prior to becoming a member of Bonesmart.

If anyone near the Nashville area is searching high and low, I believe the Dr. and practice I chose was the best choice I could have made. Nothing short of outstanding, compassionate and caring, not to mention a true professional in his field.

16. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    The scar tissue you've been warned about is actually quite rare. It's proper name is adhesions. It doesn't develop this early in recovery and it isn't just sitting there, waiting to pounce if you don't exercise enough. That's a complete fallacy and it's also scaremongering.

Yes, you are forming scar tissue - but it's the right sort of scar tissue, the sort that holds your wound together and helps to heal it. There's nothing to fear from it.
    Scar tissue and adhesions - what's the difference?

It's only a few days since your surgery and your job right now is to rest, ice and elevate your knee, so it can start to heal. It will get all the exercise it needs at this time when you walk to the bathroom and kitchen.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Honey007

Honey007 junior member

Thanks so much yes I was envisioning a bunch of little “scar tissue gremlins” waiting to pounce if I did not bend knee enough! Your advise is sensible and thanks so much for the response. Amazing forum!

• Like Like x 2
  18. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

True, the swelling holds back the bend. You can try to bend a little, but it's only going to go as far as the swelling allows. Your "job" is primarily icing and elevating at this stage. For me getting up to use the bathroom, sitting in a chair to eat, along with a few heel slides was the extent of my activity for the first week or so.
    Once the swelling starting coming down the bend went up.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Honey007

Honey007 junior member

Feeling pretty good today! First physical therapy yesterday went much better than I thought.
    I had heard horror stories but with advice from a Bonesmart told my husband if they tried to force me to bend more than I was ready for, I would stop. I had fears of having horrific therapy and was literally crying and shaking when I go there. Luckily I had a soft spoken kind therapist who showed me three exercises to do. I will go back next M, w, f
    Had a Dear friend visit yesterday and i5 wore me out! Plus, my speech sounded awful - mouth si dry from meds, and I know I sounded slurry. Relieved to get in bed.
    Also, hardly any appetite - everything tastes awful which I don’t really mind!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Ladyala

Ladyala member

Oh I'm glad PT went well!! I have to make myself eat sometimes. I'll have a yogurt for breakfast & hours later I can't figure put why I'm so tired...duh!! I love eggs so that's my go to when nothing sounds good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1