TKR Tissue growing on bone

harwood

Country
United States United States
Hello and thank you in advance. I had right knee replacement surgery on April 8, 2019. I have discernable knot on fairly high outer aspect of right thigh that prevents me from walking up steps normally. It's just too painful. At rest, it does not hurt.

I had left knee done in November 2018 and had tissue growing on bone. I suspect this is the same thing with my right knee only it's more debilitating and farther up on leg. With my left knee I was able to ride a stationary bike 2 months post op. Not so now because of right knee procedure.

I am way behind recovering from right knee as opposed to left knee. I called PA yesterday (everything goes through him) and he said there's not much he can do. He did not even mention it when I went in for a post op visit a couple of weeks ago. When I had tissue on bone with left knee, ortho doc said he manipulated it during right knee procedure and that I should massage it throughout the day.

PA said he gave me radiation shot before right knee was done to prevent tissue on bone. Maybe they missed radiation by not scooting farther up the leg. I am so discourage about this.

Any recommendations would be most welcome. Thank you again.

Hello @harwood - and :welome: back.
I'm sorry you're still having thigh pain.
Perhaps you need to make an appointment to see your surgeon, specifically about this.

I haven't heard of tissue growing on bone, nor of radiation treatment to prevent it, so I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you.

@harwood Just a thought, but you can someone evaluate your IT Band? What you're describing fits perfectly with IT Band syndrome which is very common after any knee surgery. I've dealt with it after all 11 of mine and occasionally in between ops. As soon as I read your description, I felt like I should at least mention it. If you've already ruled this out, I will keep wishing you find relief.

• Agree
Reactions: DLR
had tissue growing on bone. PA said he gave me radiation shot before right knee was done to prevent tissue on bone.
harwood, I find this singularly confusing as it's something I have never heard of. I can only imagine that you either misheard or misunderstood what was said. It's very easily done when they are telling you all this stuff.

I can only think that perhaps Rockgirl is correct and what they were really referring to was tendinitis in that area which is very, very common.

As for the 'radiation' injection, I know of no such injectable product and again, can only presume that they were talking about a cortisone injection, which again is a very common medication to be used in such circumstances.

The condition you probably had (or have) is something called ITB (ilio-tibial band) tendinitis which, as I said, is very, very common. In the article I have left you a link to, there are some stretches which could help with this. I hope they work for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl