TKR Tired Legs

2Young4NewKnees

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone! First time poster here. :) I had a left TKR on 3/6/23. The first few weeks I wasn't sure I made the right decision, but now that my my right knee hurts more than my left on a daily basis, I'm more hopeful - plus I've scheduled my next TKR (right) for 9/11/23! I'm currently at 11 weeks and my knee still feels quite tired after a walk and at the end of the day. I haven't had a walk more than a mile and progress just seems to be uber slow. Anyone else feel the same?

So sorry! I posted this in the wrong section. Feel free to delete!

Last edited:
So sorry! I posted this in the wrong section. Feel free to delete!
Hi and Welcome! No problem, I moved your post over to the Recovery Forum.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

I'm currently at 11 weeks and my knee still feels quite tired after a walk and at the end of the day. I haven't had a walk more than a mile and progress just seems to be uber slow. Anyone else feel the same?
Yes, we all felt this way. This is major surgery and recovery takes an average of a year. 11 weeks is about 25% healed.

Try to relax and go with the flow. Remember, even though recovery is slow, it is temporary!

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery. Thanks for joining us and congratulations on your new knee!

I am sorry your Right knee is bothering you as you heal from your recent Left TKR. While your knee is healing post surgery and possibly taking on extra weight if you’re favoring your ailing right knee, it is understandable that your leg feels easily fatigued. Continue at a pace you’re comfortable with and I’m sure you’ll notice progress with more healing.

It will be wonderful to have both TKR’s behind you, obtaining pain relief and improved function long-term. Lots of comfort to you as you become stronger and steadier on your feet!
@2Young4NewKnees

I’m at just over 9 weeks post op RTKR and yes to the tiredness. I head to bed around 8:30 every night. I’m 51, my daughters like to call me an old lady however I do get up around 5:30, I like the peaceful mornings.
Of course over the weekend and into Monday I way over did it and now I’m paying for it.
Yes progress seems much slower than I’d like.

Yes, tired legs and knee is normal. I am 4.5 months in using can very little at my job now yet still hop straight into bed when I get home some days after dinner. It really does take about a year. But I'm happy not to have the stabbing pains and collapsing feeling I had walking pre-surgery for both knees.
We're here for you :friends: ... Grand that you're an early bird. Not me... and I must get to work by 8 am!

@2Young4NewKnees welcome! I remember after each of my replacements feeling like all my weariness sank into my legs by the end of the day, even to the point where I called them “log legs”.

After reading posts from others, I felt better knowing it is a common issue. I found that if I limited the time I was on my feet (I set that at 30 minutes) my legs weren’t as tired. After being on them for 30 minutes, I made sure to straighten them out on an ottoman or lying on the bed. The down time varied but I learned to listen to my knee/leg and it would let me know when it was ready to move again.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We'd love to hear from you next time you're here.
All the best as you continue the journey!
@2Young4NewKnees

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks