Tips to straighten TKR leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
got to admit, it feels 10lbs. lighter but i thought it would be more "usable" than it is....i can't believe how tender and sore it is.....so when i was practicing going up and down the stairs i thought oh boy, i'll just be able to grab the banister now --- wrong! so it looks like not only will it be a long road for the knee , which really is feeling better every day, but for the wrist also.......i look at my hand and arm and it is the most disgusting looking thing....let's say the skin just didn't like not being exposed to light!! So onward we go.......and no therapy till Thursday.....this too shall pass.

bsassy.....Don't despair about your wrist. I had a really bad break of my left wrist
Septtember 2006 (hand slid off sideways after a nasty fall on some rocks while on vacation). It was in a cast about 3 months on and off, had 2 manipulations without surgery and 2 with. Then they realised I had nerve damage, so had to have an operation (had to release it , like a carpul tunnel op and also take a bone chip off the same nerve further up my wrist). I felt the same after the cast was off, but surprsingly with a lot of help from my physio I staretd getting the strength back in it quite quickly, saw much quicker results than I am in the knee. I still don't have full grip in it as the fingers became really stiff in the cast due, they say to the nerve damage. I can't quite make a fist, but can get my fingers to reach the palm of my hand. Luckily it was my left hand, I am right handed, so I have got used to it. So what I am saying is, I am sure the wrist will recover quicker than your knee!

Good luck.

thanks nurse! i am here bemoaning the fact that i should be all better by now.it's been 7 weeks and i guess i'm just so tired of it all and want my life back so badly...my knee is throbbing, and my wrist hurts to the touch, your experience was a lot worse than mine and you sound like you've healed well....mine is also my left wrist but i never realized how much i used it....till now! i am going to have o.t. on it and hopefully it will bend again.....after reading your post, i have more confidence now. i think i will take a perkie or 2 (one for the knee/one for the wrist== lol) and get on w/it....i've layed around too long already....seem to have gotten into a bad habit of doing nothing! i get my haircut this afternoon.....maybe that will help the spirits. thanks again!

Your welcome, know what you mean about not realising how much you use it, especially in the bathroom!!!!!

Hey, I know this is crazy but thanks for the reminder I have a hair cut appointment for tomorrow that with all my tooth drama would have forgotten about.
Thanks so much,
K

we don't look good if our hair doesn't look good!! good luck w/the tooth--i used to be a dental assistant prior to re-marrying so I know a bit of what you're dealing with.... :-( ...no fun at all!

Funny how different people are. I had to get my hair cut again on Monday, I would rather be at the dentist, it's like torture to me!! Anyway, hope you enjoy it Kath. Sue

My trip to the dentist/oral surgeon actually was pure hell on my nerves. He had to go into my jaw bone to remove a piece of a root that broke off my tooth that a previous dentist did a root canal on and popped a crown on incorrectly, no post...so on and so forth, the thing broke off after several years, went to get it fixed and then found out all this mess of infection in my jaw under the tooth, what a mess I had. Surgery scheduled for next knee next Friday, I was a nervous wreck. But it is over, in his opinion I can still have my knee done, and I should be really thankful that this underlying infection that I had no symptoms of what so ever did not affect my 9 week old knee. Thank God for that. I am currently waiting for a phone call from my surgeon to see if he has decided to move forward or to postpone my next knee. I hope move forward, I hate the anxiety and just want to get this all behind me. Yesterday was a big cry baby day for me.
Much better today, now after my knee implants, I have to get tooth implant. OH well, at least I didn't get infection in my knee. On big doses of antibiotics and ice on my face now, dual ice packs, but I feel much better than I did 24 hours ago. So all that babbling I can't wait to get my hair cut,you can keep the darn old dentist.

Hi Kath....infection can be serious, Im gald you caught it when you did. Thanks God your ok. I just put up a new post about a friend who has an infection in his new TKR and is presently in the Medical Center......take those anti-biotics!
respects,
Chuck

Oh my, thanks Chuck. I will be thinking about your friend. Does he know how he picked it up?
I was so scared when I found out about this, I just feel apart. Lucky Josephine and others were here as always to help me out.
Don't worry I am taking every last one of those pills. My face feels much better than I thought it would, so I am really hoping I can proceed but if I can't I am not going to worry about it, my surgeon will know what's best. I don't want to end up in the hospital for infection.
I hope your friend comes out okay. Will be in my prayers.
Kath

Hi Kath,
I am so glad that dentist visit went well. I am so dental-phobic it is ridiculous!
I will pray that your surgeon has the wisdom to make the best choice for you and that his decision is that your upcoming TKR will be safe. I know how much you want to get this behind you.

After I visit the dentist I always have my favorite comfort food... maybe you should try it. Always help me! And no, it is not chocolate. It is....

Macaroni and cheese from the grocery store deli. The ooey-gooey kind that just slides down hot and soothes my nerves. Probably just glops itself into my arteries too---- but at least I feel better!

Take care! We are all pulling for you!

Carolyn

PS. I am taking 1/2 day (AM) off this morning to rest up. And plan a breakfast for 100 people tomorrow morning first thing..... how in the world did I get roped into this? Just "cain't say no" to my boss, I guess.....

Wow, after reading today's posts I don't know if I should go get a haircut or macaroni and cheese to lift my spirits.
Actually, just seeing you all had posted made me feel better. What are we going to do when we are all healed and not depressed???

So glad your tooth problem is behind you for now .don't woory about that implant until you have to....just heal from this infection first. i'll be willing to bet you'll be able to go through with the other tkr and get on with it.....
had my first therapy session on my wrist directly following p.t. for the knee.......how much pain can one peep endour in a day?? i'm shot and so tired of this...and to top it off this wasn't even a great haircut this time.....she got a bit carried away so in 2 weeks it'll look good again......gonna take a pain pill and lay down....i should make dinner but may have to do take-out again.
strength and healing to all..Marcy

Thanks so much everyone. Carolyn I know all about not being able to say no to the boss. Being in charge of catering on campus, this time of year is crazy I have 5-25 events a day. Lucky for me I work at a small college and not a big university, of course if it were bigger I'd have more help, but none the less, sure helps take your mind off your problems if you can feel well enough to get through it. Know what I mean?
Well I am currently babysitting my sweetie pie grandchildren, then I think I will touch up a few showing grays, then go to PT, then to get a hair cut, then home may take Marcy's idea on the take out sounds good, with some deli mac and cheese. I have never had that believe it or not. I make my own, but this stuff sure sounds good.
I have to admit though my favorite comfort food will always be chocolate with ice cream running second.
Love you all so much for being here, funny how we can develop emotions for people we have never met and most likely never will. Just one common thing.

LOL Kath-- you will probably HATE deli mac and cheese. I LOVE homemade mac and cheese but for some reason I crave that ooey-gooey stuff after I go to the dentist.....

Such good news from your OS! Get that other knee done and get back on the healing track then you can play with your grandchildren with TWO good knees!

Doug--- who knows? Maybe we have discovered a new TKR depression treatment--- hair cuts and mac and cheese! Followed up, of course, with some form of chocolate! Works for me!

Even though I have returned to work I still check in here in the evenings. It is nice to know everyone is still hanging in there.....

You know I can't get the urge out of my mine to go get mac and cheese at the closet grocery store....just might give in soon.
ha ha, I don't know if I like it or not, never tried it. I will let you know.
Of course if I don't I will just wash it down with chocolate and all will be well.

Kath,
Go get it and eat the whole thing.
All of the problem's you've been dealing with you deserve it.
I'm sitting here thinking that Sunday, I'm going to smoke two rack of ribs, make bourbon baked beans and watch NASCAR.
Of course I will have ice on the knee.

Oh Doug now you are talking....I can't resist the bbq ribs. Ok where do you live? I will bring potato salad, a deep rich chocolate cake, and corn bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie