ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

TKR TinAB rt knee Oct 1st

TinAB

Country
Canada Canada
Hello, I'm 8 weeks out and doing okay I think. Live in western Canada and now it's a bit more difficult to get out for walks (about 20-30 mins ) since we have snow. Today will be ok I think. My knee is still a bit swollen and have tightness around the top which improves with exercise. Still not sleeping through the night.
I have per anserine bursitis so have pain in inner knee which has been exacerbated by the surgery. My physio explained this to me and said 4 to 5 months should see improvement. Sure hope so! When I had my left knee TKR 2 years ago I went to a different physio and ended up with a bad back from too many squats in the pool! She really dug in painfully around my knee too so this time I returned to my physio who has seen me through broken ankles, broken shoulder and bad back. However, after 3 sessions which left me in more pain and swelling for 2 or 3 days afterwards I cancelled my 4th session two weeks ago. Was supposed to go this afternoon but have nust cancelled that one too!
I'm thinking I might just keep going myself the Bonesmart way and perhaps try again next week.
Anyway, waving at the other October Fiesties!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@TinAB If you've spent any time on BoneSmart you will know that any pushing on a replaced knee is counterproductive. All it does is add to the swelling and pain. Try this the BoneSmart way. Many of our members do not have PT post TKR and do just fine on their own.

I'll leave your recovery guidelines here for you as a reminder.
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

_Annie_

Country
United States United States
Definitely go the Bonesmart way, @TinAB. I’ve not been sorry about following advice that I got here. It gave me the courage to say no to squats and anything PT had me do that caused me pain and swelling.

OP
OP
TinAB

TinAB

Country
Canada Canada
@_Annie _ and @Jaycey thanks so much for your replies. I am not going to overdo. Yesterday I went out for 30 mins walk some through deep snow. I use stability poles. It was fun but sore by the time I got home. Slept ok so must've helped!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Many of our members use walking poles post op. They are great as they let you stand up straight and support you from both sides.

Deep snow must have been a challenge. Glad you got some rest!

OP
OP
TinAB

TinAB

Country
Canada Canada
Went for followup with surgeon and physio at our joint clinic today. All is fine. Xrays were perfect he said. See you again at one year. Physio lady measured and I have 112 flexion and -5 extension. I have to work on my quads. So all good I'm happy with that. Going to try driving tomorrow. I've been nervous because it's my driving leg. With my left I was driving at 5 weeks.
Just hoping to sleep through soon. Night pain is improving a bit but the bursitis still waking me up.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Douglass77
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom