THR Timo50 Recovery

Timo50

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all, well, I finally had it done, I was first in this morning, had a spinal and remember the nurse saying we can take him in now, then I woke up and it was all over. Nine hours on and not much pain but not getting out of bed until tomorrow, I guess that's when the work begins. The surgeon said all went well and my old hip was a bit of a mess, why did I not do this years ago? I'll keep you all posted.

why did I not do this years ago?
Haha! A common post op query. Well, you finally did it and that’s all that matters now.
:welome: Welcome to the bright side! I’ll leave the BoneSmart Recovery Guidleines below with wishes for your comfort as you begin healing.

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to the recovery side! I love that now you wonder why you waited so long, haha a common question and I asked it to myself also.
You did it! Will look forward to reading about your progress. :elevate::ice:

Morning all.
Day 5 post op, all going well, I did have a painful swelling in my left bum cheek, opposite side to surgery side which the doctor thinks is just a muscle spasm from over compensating due to the operation. Walking outside pretty much every hour, a bit of swelling but not much in the way of pain. I seem to be sleeping ok too. It's strange after 10 years of having pain when walking to suddenly find it's gone. So far, I'm really happy with recovery and taking care not to overdo it

Sounding good @Timo50 :) :-) (:

Slow and steady is the way to go.
Some heat on your cheek might help calm down that other side...
Heat on one side, ice on the other:heehee: Sounds like our Georgia weather right now.

All just a snapshot in time....keep that patience muscle toned up, friend.
You will get there.

All sounds excellent @Timo50 . Isn’t it odd how the non-operated side wants to join in, I have had similar. I guess our bodies need time to adapt to their new normal.

Keep up the good healing work!

Hi everyone, 10 days post op and still doing ok. Did a walk around the block yesterday with crutches, the furthest I've walked so far, it was nice to be out, my leg was a bit stiff after, but not too bad.
Sleeping on my back isn't great, I'm normally drifting in and out of sleep, I'll ask the physio when I see her in 2 weeks when I can sleep on my side again.
My leg is quite swollen, but that's to be expected. I can also get my operated leg onto the bed as well without assistance.

All in all, still going well, fingers crossed.

Sounds like you are right on track with this recovery. Slow and steady - no need for any heroics.

Are you elevating that op leg to address the swelling?

Sounds like you are right on track with this recovery. Slow and steady - no need for any heroics.

Are you elevating that op leg to address the swelling?
Hi, yes I am, but probably not as much as I should.

Hi all, 2 week update.

Recovery going well, not much pain still.

I'm still on 2 crutches, sometimes just one in the house.

Sleep is the worst, I find it difficult sleeping and don't get much sleep at night, maybe because I'm sleeping on my back. Also itchy legs, which may be the surgical stockings?

I had the dressing removed and the nurse said all is good, she cleaned it and put another dressing on and said take it off in a weeks time.

I'm doing the physio and am due back at physio next week.

I think most of us struggle with sleeping, particularly with sleeping on the back. I did get used to back sleeping after a few weeks, but I won’t lie, it feels great now to be able to sleep on either side when I want. In the meantime, I napped when I could and just accepted that I would be awake in the small hours.

I had such mad crazy itching in my legs that I asked for, and got, permission to ditch my stockings after 3 weeks. I thought I might tear my skin by scratching and risk infection otherwise. The instructions on my stockings said not to use moisturiser because it might damage the stockings. With hindsight, I would use moisturiser and be prepared to pay for replacement stockings if necessary- my skin is more valuable to me!

These annoyances aside, your recovery sounds good @Timo50. Not much pain, gradually needing the aids less, dressing change showing all is well - all excellent news.

Thanks for the update, you’re doing well!
Sleep is the worst, I find it difficult sleeping and don't get much sleep at night, maybe because I'm sleeping on my back. Also itchy legs, which may be the surgical stockings?
A couple tips…
Try surrounding yourself with lots of pillows for sleep. May sound silly, but I found great comfort in doing so since I’m not naturally a back sleeper. I placed bed pillows on both sides of me and it was a comfort to throw an arm on one, a leg over another if I wanted to. I swear by the Body Pillows. Inexpensive and can be found at most stores that sell bedding or pillows.

As far as the stockings go. I begged off wearing them with a call to my surgeon‘s office. My surgeons PA told me that they’re happy if people even wear them half the time prescribed. Ssh…don’t tell anyone I told you that. :wink:
With that said, please understand I’m not advising you to be dismissive of your OS’s instruction, but if you call and talk to the consultant, he / she may release you from wearing those hateful things a little early. :fingersx:
Enjoy the rest of the week!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee