Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Pre-OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is official! My liver values were coming down, so I now have approval from the gastro docs. I am on for Monday! :ok: Is it o.k. to say I am realllly nervous now? Trying to stay busy getting everything done and not think about it. I wish I could go for a walk in this beautiful Fall weather we are having today. My darling is getting nervous also. He wants everything to go well for me. I do love that man.:friends:

I agree with @Celle re back to work at a week. You may be a contractor but you will get no thanks if you go back to work all fuzzy headed. I had retired but in the weeks post op I ordered things from amazon and made several BIG mistakes including 4 walking sticks, 6 chains to put round neck with glasses, half a dozen big bags of Epsom salts instead of one! All this because I thought I was all right but was not. Be kind to yourself and let yourself heal. Take care.

That's good news Timetolive - and nice that your man cares so much!

I agree about going back to work. One of the things that took me by surprise post op was a complete loss of concentration. I normally have very good concentration and I'm an avid reader but it took a couple of weeks before I could read for more than a few minutes at a time. Even watching TV seemed to require a lot of effort. I spent a lot of time listening to music and drawing.

Good news on the liver.

Thanks everyone! I am not returning to work - it is @kayak59. I will only go to work to make the payroll deposits and then head back to work in January to do W-2s and close out the books, etc.

@Carolina Writer, Hi!! Have you had TKR? Where do you live? I live in the middle of the state. Thank you for the good wishes.

Thanks @Welshchick!

So happy to hear that things have worked out and your surgery is a go! Just think, this time next week you will be back at home! You're so well prepared, things will go well! I'll be waiting to hear from you on the other side!

Thank you @Thesoutherncook! Helen, (tagged you so you would get a notification :)) I appreciate your encouragement. I am cooking today and installing a grab bar in my bathroom - just a small one. I was hoping to relax tomorrow, but have a baby shower and now visitation for my uncle. My daughter has offered to come over and help me do the final cleaning. :yay::happydance:

@Carolina Writer , we must be neighbors then. Bilateral? You are brave. I can only imagine how nervous you must be! Although, if I had to hav both done, I think I would do them together so I wouldn't have to go through this twice!:dubious: I am having my surgery at Cone. Where are you having yours?

They delivered the CPM machine today. I am thinking it could be a device of torture if you weren't careful! Very interesting though. With fat legs, it is going to be interesting with the placement. Any one have ideas for that?

Time is fast approaching!:tiredwheel:

Surgery time has been bumped earlier. Surgery now 9:00 a.m. with arrival at 7:00 a.m. We will have to get up early to make the 45 minute trip! I think I will nap....:alarm:

@Timetolive Yes we are neighbors! :) I don't think of myself as being brave, I'm terrified. Both of my knees are really bad, so there's no good leg to stand on. I've had 3 years of chronic pain and my life has gotten smaller and smaller so when the surgeon put the option out there, I took it. I am praying it's the right decision. I'll be at Wesley Long for the surgery and at Cone for the rehab - at least that's what my surgeon wants if the insurance will pay for it.

I'll be watching to see how it goes for you on Monday. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Kelly

Being first on the schedule is great! Less time to worry. Get up, drive over and when you get there it will go fast!
You're going to do wonderfully! I'll be cheering you on from the faaaar western corner of the state! Happy that your daughter will be there with you! There's nothing like our girls! Saying a prayer for peace for you and your team.

Yes, being early was better for me because I was so petrified. I had never been a hospital patient before or had a procedure. I was at 7:00 so less time to worry and reconsider. I'll be praying everything goes well for you Monday. I found myself singing Great is Thy Faithfulness while in pre-op. The nurse would tell me what to do, leave and I'd start singing while following orders. It helped me to stay calm, however the nurses were worried and thought I was having a meltdown.

@KarriB , I LOVE that song! What a great distraction.

Thank you all for the well wishes. It really means a lot. :loveshwr::loveshwr:

I have shampooed the carpet, scrubbed the shower and tub, washed ALL the summer clothing to be packed away, made a big pot of homemade soup, decorated for Fall/Thanksgiving, and I am pooped! It reminds me of being pregnant ALLLLLL those years ago and you felt like you had to have everything "just so". Hopefully, next week I can relax some. :mcoffee:

@Timetolive, I did a similar presurgery house prep and I loved it. I had the same thought of similarity to pregnancy nesting. It reduced my preop anxiety and it was sooo great to crash in my recliner following the surgery. I even did a session of sitting in my recliner presurg and looking around to make sure I liked what I saw.

I've been really enjoying this past week. My LTKR has recovered nicely and is now very near normal and ready to be the go to knee come Thursday. In fact, it is my favored knee now as it is strong and essentially pain-free.

I'll be thinking of you Monday and we can support one another through this surgery!

@wings , I would welcome the support and good thoughts! You have done a great job recovering. It is nice to hear good experiences.

The cleaning has been a good excuse to get my darling husband to clean up some of his "paperwork". :rotfl: I hope it lasts! Ha!

You will feel better recovering in a clean house, that's for sure. You'll just need someone to keep it up, because you won't/shouldn't do any house cleaning for quite a while. There's a time frame somewhere here suggesting when you can do certain things around the house. I did clean most of today, just because the house got away from me this week.

I will come home with the compression hose. A friend suggested I get some type of gloves. Is anyone familiar with them and do I need to get them?

I think this is the article that KarriB was talking about.
Activity progression for TKRs
I haven't heard of needing gloves to deal with the compression hose. The bloomin' things are difficult to put on, though, and you may need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks