Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Pre-OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made an appointment with my OS to answer a few more questions I had. Yes, I am a Nervous Nellie. They use general anesthesia with an adductor canal block. He uses the Depuy Sigma Rotating Platform knee. The incision is closed with subcutaneous stitches and covered with an aquacell. I will have a knee drain and a Foley catheter. Markane (?) will be put in the knee. He does use the CPM and does not like ice over the wound, but all around is ok. Have I missed anything in my questions? The pain management starts with MS Contin - we shall see how this works out - I haven't had ANY luck with pain meds prior. :yikes:

Now, horrors of horrors!!! I will be put in thigh high compression stockings!!! I have large thighs and am sooo worried about the fit. :sos: I am also very modest and self conscious about my weight. :bawl:

Markane will provide some pain relief in your knee after surgery. Some find the CPM soothing, ice on the back of the knee can be very helpful, be sure you have insulation to prevent frost burns. They have compression stockings in all sizes you will be fine.

Is there a way to change the title of my thread? After reading more, I see I should have named it differently to keep it continuous? I wish it was: Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Pre-Op. @pumpkin?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also sensitive to certain pain meds- Dilaudid and >2mg morphine makes me vomit, vomit, vomit. They also drop my blood pressure. Tramadol conflicts with my migraine meds. Have you tried Percocet? I do well with it. Percocet causes constipation, but that can be dealt with. I was allowed 2 tabs q4° while in the hospital (had to wait 24 hrs post spinal block). The trick is to taper down slowly. Seven days later I am home and comfortable on 1 1/4 tabs q6°. Yes, I love my pill chopper.

My OS doesn't recommend compression stockings, but I happen to own several pair. I decided to put one on yesterday because I was worried about my purple leg swelling, then instantly regretted it (we are having a heatwave). Then I freaked out trying to remove it, as in I could not get it off fast enough. Finally my teenage son had to pull it off my ankle/foot for me. I hope he's not traumatized. Remind whomever fits you for the stockings that you prefer them a little loose around the thigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Clipless, thank you! The pain meds will be a challenge. Yes, I have had Percocet. After the 3 knee scopes, a broken wrist (thanks to a knee that gave out) and an extremely painful foot surgery, I have tried most of them. This is one of my biggest fears - having pain multiplied from what I had with the foot surgery. I will ask about trying the Percocet again - I know I will need something!

Oh the stockings!:yikes: The thigh is my biggest concern - literally. I am worried they will be so tight. When I have my pre-op appts., I am going to really make sure they have the correct size available. I have read horror stories where they didn't have stockings large enough and put heavy thighs in too small stockings. A friend told me there were gloves (?) to help with them.

Are you matching your shorts to your purple leg? :rotfl: Sorry....bruise humor.

I am going to really make sure they have the correct size available. I have read horror stories where they didn't have stockings large enough and put heavy thighs in too small stockings.
It's a good idea to check this - but it''s an even better idea to stop reading horror stories.
Here are some positive stories instead:
[library] Stories of amazing knee recoveries

@Celle, thank you. I have read them. I am a person that plans, plans, plans, then makes a list of my plans! :heehee:
I love information and follow the 7 Ps: Prior Proper Planning Prevents water Poor Performance. :cheers: My husband is a retired Navy Captain and LOVES that saying. Ha!

Is there any chance you could change the title of my thread to "Timetolive's Nov 9th TKR Pre-Op"? I see how people have their threads from start to finish and it sure makes it nice to read their stories - more continuity also. Thank you.

I've changed your thread title as you requested.

I love information and follow the 7 Ps: Prior Proper Planning Prevents pee Poor Performance.

Love your 7P's :yes:

My preop planning for my first TKR a little over a month ago consisted of daily to do lists for over a month. It was a marathon. For my RTKR scheduled for 12 of November, I have very little to do. I'll get my haircut and restock my favorite foods.

I had my pre-op appt with my GP for surgery clearance today. The "crud" I have had, has now morphed into a sinus infection. It hurts to even have my glasses on. We leave for Annapolis Wednesday -Sunday for my husband's class reunion at the Naval Academy. Time sure does fly by when you are busy!

@Celle, she gave me amoxicillin reluctantly. She is a firm believer in no antibiotics for colds, etc. When I told her I couldn't wear my glasses (they are the lightweight frameless kind) I think she finally understood how painful my head is. My Darling started this with his cold and he now has bronchitis. We are quite the pair right now!:dead:

I think it's important to get the sinus infection well cleared up before your surgery date. That's why I asked if you had antibiotics.
Generally, I agree with your GP and it is being suggested that cutting back on antibiotic use may help to prevent such frequent emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Thanks @Celle. I was concerned when I caught the cold from my husband and that she would not clear me today. I meet with the OS' PA on the 28th and then I have the hospital pre-op on the 30th. Now if I could only get caught up at work.....:bawl:

Hope you're well enough to enjoy Annapolis. I get what you mean about work, but somehow it all came together.

The two week countdown begins! We walked and walked, and walked in Annapolis. I had to bow out one day and sit in the Naval Academy Chapel one day while my husband attended meetings. The pain was unbearable. I tried to limit the stairs in the stadium for the ballgame, but geesh, our seats were low. It gave me confidence that I am making the right decision, but as the time approaches, the apprehension grows. How do you deal with this?

@time to live I am 4 weeks out so still not quite where you are at yet. I'm still at the getting everything organized phase. I have a week out of town working next week so when I get back my two week countdown begins. I'm sure by then my apprehension will start to grow. I will be following your post op.

The crud continues. I had my Pre-Op with the PA today. As long as I can shake this stuff, I am on schedule for the 9th still. I asked more questions :heehee: and I am feeling better about the process. I asked about what happens after surgery, bathing, pain control (my BIG concern since I have so much trouble with them), and their philosophy about PT. :yikes: PA said "No Pain, No Gain" :bricks::tantrum: She said they use a foam block under the ankle to stretch and gain extension - expecting 0 at the 2 week appointment after surgery. Looks like it might be an interesting recovery.

I was given a foam block after surgery. I only use it as tolerated, and I never push it. I have my two week appt on Friday and my flexion is 7. Not as good as they want it, but I'm not going to let anyone push it. I do believe what Josephine and so many others on this forum have said, that the ROM will come in time. You'll have lots of support here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member