Lounge Doctor

TKR timeline question

Jo Wo

Country
United States United States
so if my surgeon agrees it's time to move forward on may 11th, what is the normal sequence of events after that?

preop testing how quickly is that done....do they get the surgery approval first?
primary physician clearance? I have my physical the week after I see the surgeon so I am hoping not to get billed for duplicate testing at the preop.
go for covid test and quarantine until surgery day

i am booked for the hospitals joint replacement seminar on may 19.

i am hoping that surgery would be no later than july. is summer the busy season for surgeries?

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
IIRC if your tests and checkup are within 30 days(?) of the operation that is usually ok. But it may depend on what your surgeon requires. If it's too far apart you'll need to have more up to date ones.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Jo Wo

What surgery are you planning to have, and which knee is it?

Please tell us your surgery date when it's confirmed and we'll put it into your signature.
Thank you. :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

Country
I see the surgeon on the 11th, hoping he will agree to do an ltkr. the younger colleague who has been treating me since january does not do joint replacements yet. i think i have failed enough conservative treatments to get approved, and have joint damage in all compartments. I am almost 64. I have no other health conditions that I know of, so I am hoping I can get a quick preop and surgery date.

BBCG

senior
Country
Hi Jo Wo, in 2016 when I had #1 knee (left) done there was a 6-months wait! But, this year, I called for a consult in January, saw him a week later at the end of July and my surgery was yesterday. So, I think it will depend some on Covid cases in your area; if there’s a high incidence, there may still be fewer replacements taking place? One nurse I asked said the Covid area was just on one floor now, but at one point the ortho floor had one wing dedicated to Covid patients. They returned that floor to orthopedics within the past 2 months she said.

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

Country
Hi Jo Wo, in 2016 when I had #1 knee (left) done there was a 6-months wait! But, this year, I called for a consult in January, saw him a week later at the end of July and my surgery was yesterday. So, I think it will depend some on Covid cases in your area; if there’s a high incidence, there may still be fewer replacements taking place? One nurse I asked said the Covid area was just on one floor now, but at one point the ortho floor had one wing dedicated to Covid patients. They returned that floor to orthopedics within the past 2 months she said.
@BBCG how wonderfully kind of you to respond while you are so early in recovery ....thank you! Hope you are resting comfortably and healing well.

BBCG

senior
Country
I am coming along nicely! Learning what exactly is “too much” activity and behaving once learnt!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Countrybumpkin
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom