BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Timeline.... Holidays

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Hipster48, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Hipster48

Hipster48

United States United States
    I'm having surgery November 7th and Thanksgiving is alittle over my 2 week recovery. Made plans to get together at my sisters 1 hour away to be with part of my large family (23 people including 9 children). We usually stay at a hotel by her house because it has a pool for the kids. Made all these plans in the summer, before scheduling surgery. Now as I'm preparing for surgery and seeing postings of recovery what would you all suggest? My other alternative is to have my family stay home for a quiet Thanksgiving. Been waiting so long for my hip I don't want to do anything to delay recovery.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Layla

Layla

Hi @Hipster48
    I think you will find varied opinions on this question and ultimately you'll need to see how you are feeling and how your recovery is progressing at that point.

Personally, I didn't get into a car as a passenger until the day I went to my first post op doctor visit at 3 weeks. I didn't for two reasons, I was a bit fearful as my vehicle is a tad high (the seat) for my comfort. At three weeks getting in was no big deal and it may have been the same at two weeks, but I'll never know.

Riding in the car is still a bit uncomfortable to me. After about a 1/2 hr, I want out.....to stretch. It may be tension, or discomfort, not sure. I experienced the posterior method and the seat belt buckle lands right over my incision so I always cram a jacket or something in between my upper, outer thigh and the belt buckle.

My husband and I had about 8 people over for an impromptu casual dinner (all family) on Day 11 or 12 of my recovery. I didn't find it that enjoyable as I was still pretty tired, sitting in my recliner most of the time and vascilating between ditching my walker and using the cane. I recall the day as rather exhausting.
    With that said....I can't imagine a houseful of 32 at that point. If there will be a number of small children I'd worry about them bumping into me as they're like whirling dervishes most of the time. At least my young grandkids are.

If it were me...I know I'd opt for the quiet family dinner at home this year. It sounds like your sister's house is an annual invitation. Just think..... next year you'll be feeling well enough to dance on the tabletop!

Don't stress about it for sure. Just wait and see how you're feeling. You can do a lot last minute. Actually you shouldn't have to do anything at that point. Let them wait on and spoil you! I would assume your families expectations won't run high understanding you've been through a major surgery only 2 weeks prior.

Wishing you a great rest of the weekend!

• Like Like x 5
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Hipster48 I am afraid you won't feel up to a large family gathering at only 2 weeks out - let alone the travel time. Best to have a quiet Thanksgiving this year and celebrate your shiny new hip next year. Your priority is this THR and recovery.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. RSC

RSC

I agree with Jaycey. I just happened to stumble across this, and my replacement was Nov. 7 of last year. I'm doing great now, but don't be in a hurry.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Hipster48

Hipster48

Thank you! I think I will opt out and relax at home. I really appreciate all of your opinions, especially knowing you've all been thru this.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Irish Joe

Irish Joe Forum Advisor

Ireland Ireland
    Same here.
    Just think about what would be involved with packing, travelling, staying in unfamiliar surroundings, then the crowd in the house and after that facing the journey home the next day.
    Week 2 typically should involve rest, ice, meds, elevation and short walks.
    Keep your family at home and have "Thanksgiving" for your new hip.
    Best Wishes with the new hip.
    Joe.....

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Hipster48

Hipster48

Thank you Joe!

• Like Like x 2
  8. GrannyC

GrannyC

I tend to agree with the others. I think you could make the trip as I had to go one hr to my first postop check at 2 weeks but you will find you get very tired very easily in those first few weeks. If it was closer and a place you could just drop in for a couple hrs it might be a different story. I wish you the best!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1