Time to Take the Leap

Status
Not open for further replies.
@KarriB Hi! I'm pretty sure my insurance will okay surgery. I've been getting cortisone injections every few months since 2009 in my left knee and since2011 in my right. Twice yearly Synvisc injection series since 2014. Insurance asked "Does she need those?" Doc took new x-ray showing same bone on bone since 2009 and 2011 x-rays. Insurance said yeah, she needs that. This last Synvisc and cortisone barely helped at all, though. I'm sure hoping my insurance doesn't give me grief about this. [emoji856]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

I doubt that you will have problems with getting your surgery okayed. Even though insurance companies try to fight care they deem too expensive the doctors can still have the final say.

That'll constitute prior treatment. I can't imagine why your OS wouldn't do it unless you have some other serious health issue. My BP was a little high and m PCP wanted to put me on meds. I asked him to wait until after the TKR because I knew I'd be more active. When I went back 7 months after surgery I had great BP numbers because I had been biking and swimming.

Very interesting comments above. my insurance was the opposite, they refused to allow us to try any of the synovial fluid enhancers because I was already bone on bone they told me my only option was replacements that they wouldn't waste the money on synovial fluid enhancers. go figure insurance in the US is crazy. Throughout the years I have had many Cortizone injections some worked for a long time others didn't work at all and insurance never had to approve those. I hope your insurance approves your surgery once you get your mind wrapped around it it's nice to get on with it . Regarding speed house cleaning, One day I had my son and two of his friends have a competition on hands and knees floor washing my first floor hardwood never shined as much as it shined that day! All for a six pack of beer!

I do have some health conditions, though I stay on top of them. My last surgery (hysterectomy) in Jan 2014 pushed me into diabetes. I literally didn't have it before surgery, on no test anywhere, and after surgery my blood sugar went haywire. It contributed to a healing issue with the surgical site (the main problem was an infected suture and seroma that required a second surgery to fix, as well as a wound vac for some weeks). But strict control of my diet, blood sugar monitoring, and a 50 lb. weight loss put me back to normal blood sugars after a few months. I kept with the low-carb diet because I like my new weight and don't want to develop full-time diabetes, so I keep my A1C in the 5-5.5 range. Still overweight, but lots lighter. My knees were happy with the weight loss... but I'm stalled because my activity over the last year has gotten so much worse. I used to walk the neighborhood with my dog. Now she just sits by the door and sighs, wondering why we don't go on our old jaunts.

Gosh, I remember my three sons and their friends, and the competitions they had. Speed snow shoveling of our driveway was a good one. Wish I'd thought of the floors in the house! I'm glad for my husband right now, because he does so much to help me, including all the laundry (basement stairs and stairs to the bedrooms) and scrubbing of floors and bathrooms. He gets Husband of the Year, every year, as far as I'm concerned. We talk about traveling again (we love to cruise) when I get my walking legs back.

You'll be able to enjoy life again, although I'm not sure laundry and scrubbing floors is included. I love my swiffer because kneeling isn't pleasant.

You'll be able to enjoy life again, although I'm not sure laundry and scrubbing floors is included. I love my swiffer because kneeling isn't pleasant.

Yeah. I'm going to miss kneeling. Something I can still kinda-sorta do. :(

Some TKRs can kneel, some use a pillow to kneel on, I just find it uncomfortable. Never know though...

Congratulations on your weight lost and getting your blood sugar under control. That's no easy feat. I just enjoyed a cruise with my grown daughters. I'm looking forward to my next one. I'm sure you'll be back cruising again after your surgery.

My husband and I got married on a cruise. It's kind of our thing. The whole family does it now. The big Italian-American family travels together. It's a production. I want to get the grandkids on one in a few years.

This forum is already paying benefits. My left knee acted up Monday so badly I could barely hobble from room to room. Swollen. Painful. And I thought... ICE. I've iced my knees before, but this time I made a point of icing, elevating, more icing. I've been collecting ice packs, so had a rotation going. Lots more icing and elevating. Husband had my leg in his lap all evening. And that icing/elevating really helped. I was much more mobile yesterday. And today my knee is back to normal, which is still bad, but bearable and I can walk. I'm sure pain from a replaced knee is much worse, and takes longer to tame, but I am convinced of the therapy!

I too hail from Italian-American family. It can be quite the production of food and loudness!!! I was really bad before my surgery. I could barely walk anymore. Yes, knee replacement is a very difficult surgery, but it was worth it. There are times when you wonder if you should have done it, but there will come a day where you will realize that the new knee will make your life so much better. I am still stiff and swollen, but I could probably walk farther now than I could ever before the surgery.

Well, I done did it. Just saw the OS and decided I like him very much. He comes highly recommended and after talking with him, my husband and I both feel confident about him. Yes, I interview physicians and surgeons. LOL I've a medical background myself, so am quite picky when it comes to doctors. This one came highly recommended and even has a good name: Dr. Good. How can I not love having a surgeon named Dr. Good?

We talked a while and he answered all my and husband's questions. I'm feeling positive about being in good hands. Both knees are bone-on-bone with mild effusion, so at best I would only be buying a year or three with a single replacement. Since I'm a stubborn, get-it-over-with kind of gal anyway, we are going whole in. I'm scheduled for a BTKR on May 10.

I'll use the next six weeks to get my dental work done (OS agreed with my timeline for that), the pre-op tests, which include an allergist for possible metal allergy, and a cardiologist to make sure I'm up to the surgery and recovery (family history of heart disease, so might as well check out the ticker anyway). I'll be busy getting ready, wrapping up some professional deadlines, and making arrangements for elder care for my demented FIL. :old: Guess things are going to get interesting. :tada:

You'll have plenty of time to prepare. Lots of people like the one time recovery a bilateral gives them. It'll be here before you know it!

Just a few observations/questions on this pre-op phase.

My OS doesn't use staples. This will be my first surgery ever without staples, and I can't say I'm unhappy about that! Out of curiosity, though: How well did sealer (what he called it) work for those who've had it? Any useful special care tips? (i.e. anything I ought to stock up on in advance?)

OS doesn't send me home with an ice machine. He recommends ice packs (and lots of them). I'm fine with that, and already have a good stash of gel packs from icing my painful knees, but... should I invest in an ice machine? Or two for a BTKR? From reading, I get the impression ice packs work very well, though others swear by their machines.

I promised to lose weight before the surgery; I think OS was just trying to help inspire my continued weight loss. LOL He never even hesitated about my weight. Of course, my husband was sitting right there telling him how I've stopped eating all carbs. (Not completely true... ever try to eat NO carbs? Besides, I like creamer in my coffee.)

OS said hospital for 2 days and a rehab facility for 2-3 days. Sound about right? I know it all depends on things like how well I do steps, walking, toilet, etc.. I really need (NEED) to be able to walk up and down a single flight of stairs one time a day after the first week home. I will have my husband on hand while I do stairs for the first two weeks home. Hope I'll be good to go on my own after that.

My OS strikes me as very caring and thorough. I mentioned possible nickel sensitivity and he sent me right away to an allergist. I'm sitting here with test strips across my back and bits of metal taped to my arm. If nothing else, I'll find out if I'm allergic to anything. The metal (and one plastic) bits on the arm are specific from my OS, according to the allergist. I like that the OS is making sure he gives me the right prostheses.

I did the right thing getting my dental ducks lined up prior to seeing the surgeon. He's perfectly fine with my getting the implants I need for a new bridge. Yay for one less issue.

This is all very exciting, and lots of scary. Right now I have things to do: medical clearances, buy a recliner. Things I can control. As the day of surgery gets closer, though, I know I'll get nervous. :shocked:

My dad had glue with his THR and had no problem at all. I'm surely others will pipe in though about it. Gel packs or ice machine is really an individual decision. As far as rehab, I think a week is far more likely, but I could be wrong. My rehab stay was a full week because of the 13 steps to get into my home, but lots of people have no trouble with stairs at all. Here's a link for ice options.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/

I had glue for both THR and TKR. It was covered with a long bandage which I had to cover when I showered. It was replaced maybe three times in the four weeks it covered my incision. When the bandage came off, the glue started to come off (sorta like a pealing sunburn). No staples, stitches or anything to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Susie, I only used frozen gel packs and I found they worked very well for me. I had 6 of them and I always kept the spares in the freezer. I would use one gel pack at the front of my knee and one at the back. If you stick with gel packs, you may need a few more, as you're having both knees done.

Other people swear by the ice machines. I wouldn't buy one, though, and certainly not two, unless you can get them cheap on EBay. Some insurance companies pay for them. It might be worth asking if yours does.

As for your surgeon using glue instead of staples - it's only the very top layer of your skin that will be glued. All the other layers will be carefully stitched with dissolving sutures. I haven't read of anyone having problems with the glue, or needing to take any special care. The glue seems to just peel off as time passes and the incision heals.

The only surgeon better than Dr Good is Dr Great!:rotfl: (I couldn't help myself)

I used ice packs for my fupirst surgery but had an ice machine for the second one. The ice packs worked ok but I liked the the ice machine I got for the second as I was able to set it up and it worked for almost 8 hours without having to change the ice.

There probably is a Dr. Great out there, but I'm okay with Dr. Good! Funny Bonesmart moment. I told doctor I had done research on a KR forum (mentioned this one by name). He got this wary, soulful look and said, "Lots of horror stories?" And I said, "Oh, no. Mostly good stories. Lots of good stories and helpful advice on being patient and smart from people who had good surgeries." He looked relieved. I think he feared internet info would be universally 1) bad, and 2) wrong.

I'll check into the machine(s) and insurance. Maybe rental in this area. Ebay is an option. But it's good to know I can go with ice packs. I suppose minions would be a great help for fetching and replacing them.

@SusieShoes yeah for you on scheduling your replacements! I'm sure happy I took the plunge. One suggestion work on your upper body strength as you are able! I loved my breg Polar Cubes. They held the cold for 6-8 hours. I bought one full price at the DME store at my OS office. The other I got on eBay. I felt that the cold therapy was better when using the Cubes vs the gel packs. By the holidays your going to be a new woman! Living pain free is a wonderful thing. Good luck with your replacements. I wish I could have had mine on the same day but now just glad to be recovered and getting on with life! The mantras work, trust them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker