Time to recover.

I have exactly one month to me THR... is that enough time to recover and eliminate the risk of infection? (even if i need to have it extracted?)
Should be plenty of time! They will probably give you a round of antibiotics just to be on the safe side. Glad you have an appointment on Monday!

My surgeon requires a dental clearance prior to surgery and prohibits dental appointments of any kind within a 30 day window.

My advice:

1. I would keep my dental appointment no matter what, and if any treatment is recommended (root canal, extraction, etc) I follow through with it as quickly as humanly possible. I would not have been cleared for surgery with any evidence of an active infection in my mouth (this was written on the dental clearance form), so for me, getting this resolved would not have been optional. Other surgeons have shorter windows, however, and it’s possible yours would be comfortable with a 28-day window rather than 30, so it’s too soon to know if this would change your surgery date.

2. If treatment is recommended, I would contact my surgeon’s office to ask their advice about prophylactic antibiotic treatment, given the surgery date, if the dentist doesn’t prescribe one. They may very well say no, but I would rather be extra cautious and have the surgeon also say no, under these circumstances.

I hope your dentist finds nothing worrisome! I had a few surgery-delay issues come up, too, and they were nerve wracking, for sure - all the moreso when sleep is as elusive as you describe. Wishing you well! I have a feeling you’ll get this sorted out in plenty of time.

2. If treatment is recommended, I would contact my surgeon’s office to ask their advice about prophylactic antibiotic treatment, given the surgery date, if the dentist doesn’t prescribe one. They may very well say no, but I would rather be extra cautious and have the surgeon also say no, under these circumstances.

Thanks for your encouragement and sound advice.
Really appreciate it - I will follow up with my OS office on Monday too.

Hi @RinTinTin
Only your surgeon can advise on this as he'll be the one doing the surgery.
It was wise to call and get an appt for Monday. Let us know how it goes.
A peaceful weekend to you!

So I saw my dentist this morning. X-ray showed beginning of an infection at the root of my tooth. He prescribed me antibiotics and will open the tooth on Friday.
Left a message for my OS and will wait for his decision.
I don't want to postpone the surgery :(

I really think you have plenty of time @RinTinTin - especially if you are starting antibiotics now. Think positive!

I would like to believe...
My dentist said I should be fine if the infection is cleared two weeks prior the surgery... but also said the final decision is my OS decision.
Going for me first pre-op appointment tomorrow.... blood work and whatever follows up. :)

It is up to your surgeon on the time line. Stay positive and keep going forward, it'll be whatever it is, however I do believe you'll be fine. A good dentist will help you get there.

You’ve done well by yourself. It’s good news you’ve seen to this so promptly, and are getting it treated.

One thing within your control to minimize the risk of post-op infection (a complication no one wants) is to attend to anything outstanding at the dentist’s office. I needed five dental appointments to get my clearance (!) but I admit to being remiss about routine dental care. So, this is all to the good.

If your surgeon has a dental clearance policy, it seems likely you would have heard about it by now. But if this procedure creates a small delay in your surgery date, it will be for the best reason: to protect you from risk. No one wants a delay, but sometimes they can be warranted.

But if this procedure creates a small delay in your surgery date, it will be for the best reason: to protect you from risk. No one wants a delay, but sometimes they can be warranted.

You are right Ptarmigan... I've been waiting so log for the surgery and don't want the delay but if the risk of infection exists... I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Morning. Talking to your dentist about a cleaning, any other concerns that can't wait the 6 month post op ( I think that's right). I found it amazing that my dentist knew the prodacal for joint replacements. His office called in the antibiotic I needed to take an hour before any dental work done, including cleaning after surgery. That was only for the first year after surgery. That is the new prodacal now, as I understand it. You're doing great getting your mind wrapped around this. Take it easy, don't stress out.

Morning. Talking to your dentist about a cleaning, any other concerns that can't wait the 6 month post op ( I think that's right). I found it amazing that my dentist knew the prodacal for joint replacements. His office called in the antibiotic I needed to take an hour before any dental work done, including cleaning after surgery. That was only for the first year after surgery. That is the new prodacal now, as I understand it. You're doing great getting your mind wrapped around this. Take it easy, don't stress out.

Thanks julesglass.
My dentist knows the rules. Still he mentioned that this is constantly changing. At the beginning of his career antibiotics were prescribed in 100% cases for such surgeries. Today... that number is at 50% and most of the time dentist leave the final decision to the surgeon.
As we can read on this forums... antibiotics are not required in UK.
I would like to play safe.. I am happy I am taking them now.
:)

You might not want to postpone but you don't want an infection! Aside from dislocation infection is the bi fear as far as THR goes.

You might not want to postpone but you don't want an infection! Aside from dislocation infection is the bi fear as far as THR goes.

Absolutely!
I hope the infection will clear out and I'll be able to have my scheduled THR.
If not... I am sure any delay will be for my own safety.

:wave:Hope all is well and you are still on track for getting this hip show on the road!

:ok:
:fingersx: for no holdups!

Took the last antibiotic last night... seeing my OS today for the last time before the surgery day.
I hope I got all the questions for him sorted.
Will let you know :)

See ya later! :ice: In the position of course..I am already forgetting about the procedure four days post op. Got lots of knitting to do! And I am in the middle of Heartland.. Set in Canada near Calgary I never saw it before on TV

I am already forgetting about the procedure four days post op. Got lots of knitting to do!

So glad to hear you feel so good... I wish everyone here feels like that after their surgeries.
Happy knitting!
:)

Saw my OS today...
Ready for Sep 10th right THR... lateral approach... ceramic on plastic...
He explained the 4 risks of any major surgery and made me feel pretty comfortable. He suggested spinal anesthesia because of less side effects...
What do you guys think? I am so looking forward to that first step!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie