BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

    Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

    You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

    Dismiss Notice

Time to recover.

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by RinTinTin, Aug 3, 2019.

  1. Jaycey

    Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

    Member Since:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Messages:
    28,614
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Yorkshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Should be plenty of time! They will probably give you a round of antibiotics just to be on the safe side. Glad you have an appointment on Monday!
     
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ptarmigan

    Ptarmigan senior

    Member Since:
    Apr 20, 2019
    Age:
    62
    Messages:
    414
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Washington
    Country:
    United States United States
    My surgeon requires a dental clearance prior to surgery and prohibits dental appointments of any kind within a 30 day window.

    My advice:

    1. I would keep my dental appointment no matter what, and if any treatment is recommended (root canal, extraction, etc) I follow through with it as quickly as humanly possible. I would not have been cleared for surgery with any evidence of an active infection in my mouth (this was written on the dental clearance form), so for me, getting this resolved would not have been optional. Other surgeons have shorter windows, however, and it’s possible yours would be comfortable with a 28-day window rather than 30, so it’s too soon to know if this would change your surgery date.

    2. If treatment is recommended, I would contact my surgeon’s office to ask their advice about prophylactic antibiotic treatment, given the surgery date, if the dentist doesn’t prescribe one. They may very well say no, but I would rather be extra cautious and have the surgeon also say no, under these circumstances.

    I hope your dentist finds nothing worrisome! I had a few surgery-delay issues come up, too, and they were nerve wracking, for sure - all the moreso when sleep is as elusive as you describe. Wishing you well! I have a feeling you’ll get this sorted out in plenty of time.
     
    • Like Like x 2
  3. RinTinTin

    RinTinTin junior member
    Thread Starter

    Member Since:
    Jun 29, 2019
    Age:
    61
    Messages:
    40
    Gender:
    Male
    Country:
    Canada Canada
    Thanks for your encouragement and sound advice.
    Really appreciate it - I will follow up with my OS office on Monday too.
     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Layla

    Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

    Member Since:
    Jun 26, 2017
    Messages:
    17,231
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Minnesota
    Country:
    United States United States
    Hi @RinTinTin
    Only your surgeon can advise on this as he'll be the one doing the surgery.
    It was wise to call and get an appt for Monday. Let us know how it goes.
    A peaceful weekend to you!
     
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. RinTinTin

    RinTinTin junior member
    Thread Starter

    Member Since:
    Jun 29, 2019
    Age:
    61
    Messages:
    40
    Gender:
    Male
    Country:
    Canada Canada
    So I saw my dentist this morning. X-ray showed beginning of an infection at the root of my tooth. He prescribed me antibiotics and will open the tooth on Friday.
    Left a message for my OS and will wait for his decision.
    I don't want to postpone the surgery :(
     
  6. Jaycey

    Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

    Member Since:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Messages:
    28,614
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Yorkshire
    Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I really think you have plenty of time @RinTinTin - especially if you are starting antibiotics now. Think positive!
     
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RinTinTin

    RinTinTin junior member
    Thread Starter

    Member Since:
    Jun 29, 2019
    Age:
    61
    Messages:
    40
    Gender:
    Male
    Country:
    Canada Canada
    I would like to believe...
    My dentist said I should be fine if the infection is cleared two weeks prior the surgery... but also said the final decision is my OS decision.
    Going for me first pre-op appointment tomorrow.... blood work and whatever follows up. :)
     
  8. julesglass

    julesglass graduate

    Member Since:
    Apr 27, 2016
    Age:
    61
    Messages:
    780
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Iowa
    Country:
    United States United States
    It is up to your surgeon on the time line. Stay positive and keep going forward, it'll be whatever it is, however I do believe you'll be fine. A good dentist will help you get there.
     
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ptarmigan

    Ptarmigan senior

    Member Since:
    Apr 20, 2019
    Age:
    62
    Messages:
    414
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Washington
    Country:
    United States United States
    You’ve done well by yourself. It’s good news you’ve seen to this so promptly, and are getting it treated.

    One thing within your control to minimize the risk of post-op infection (a complication no one wants) is to attend to anything outstanding at the dentist’s office. I needed five dental appointments to get my clearance (!) but I admit to being remiss about routine dental care. So, this is all to the good.

    If your surgeon has a dental clearance policy, it seems likely you would have heard about it by now. But if this procedure creates a small delay in your surgery date, it will be for the best reason: to protect you from risk. No one wants a delay, but sometimes they can be warranted.
     
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RinTinTin

    RinTinTin junior member
    Thread Starter

    Member Since:
    Jun 29, 2019
    Age:
    61
    Messages:
    40
    Gender:
    Male
    Country:
    Canada Canada
    You are right Ptarmigan... I've been waiting so log for the surgery and don't want the delay but if the risk of infection exists... I'd rather be safe than sorry.
     
    • Agree Agree x 4
  11. julesglass

    julesglass graduate

    Member Since:
    Apr 27, 2016
    Age:
    61
    Messages:
    780
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Iowa
    Country:
    United States United States
    Morning. Talking to your dentist about a cleaning, any other concerns that can't wait the 6 month post op ( I think that's right). I found it amazing that my dentist knew the prodacal for joint replacements. His office called in the antibiotic I needed to take an hour before any dental work done, including cleaning after surgery. That was only for the first year after surgery. That is the new prodacal now, as I understand it. You're doing great getting your mind wrapped around this. Take it easy, don't stress out.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RinTinTin

    RinTinTin junior member
    Thread Starter

    Member Since:
    Jun 29, 2019
    Age:
    61
    Messages:
    40
    Gender:
    Male
    Country:
    Canada Canada
    Thanks julesglass.
    My dentist knows the rules. Still he mentioned that this is constantly changing. At the beginning of his career antibiotics were prescribed in 100% cases for such surgeries. Today... that number is at 50% and most of the time dentist leave the final decision to the surgeon.
    As we can read on this forums... antibiotics are not required in UK.
    I would like to play safe.. I am happy I am taking them now.
    :)
     
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Eman85

    Eman85 post-grad

    Member Since:
    Mar 4, 2018
    Age:
    63
    Messages:
    1,187
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    E Tenesee
    Country:
    United States United States
    You might not want to postpone but you don't want an infection! Aside from dislocation infection is the bi fear as far as THR goes.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RinTinTin

    RinTinTin junior member
    Thread Starter

    Member Since:
    Jun 29, 2019
    Age:
    61
    Messages:
    40
    Gender:
    Male
    Country:
    Canada Canada
    Absolutely!
    I hope the infection will clear out and I'll be able to have my scheduled THR.
    If not... I am sure any delay will be for my own safety.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mojo333

    Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

    Member Since:
    Mar 8, 2017
    Age:
    56
    Messages:
    18,692
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    GA
    Country:
    United States United States
    :wave:Hope all is well and you are still on track for getting this hip show on the road!
     
    • Like Like x 1
  16. RinTinTin

    RinTinTin junior member
    Thread Starter

    Member Since:
    Jun 29, 2019
    Age:
    61
    Messages:
    40
    Gender:
    Male
    Country:
    Canada Canada
    Took the last antibiotic last night... seeing my OS today for the last time before the surgery day.
    I hope I got all the questions for him sorted.
    Will let you know :)
     
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Mojo333

    Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

    Member Since:
    Mar 8, 2017
    Age:
    56
    Messages:
    18,692
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    GA
    Country:
    United States United States
    :ok:
    :fingersx: for no holdups!
     
  18. mainegirl1

    mainegirl1 senior

    Member Since:
    May 11, 2019
    Age:
    73
    Messages:
    414
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    Maine
    Country:
    United States United States
    See ya later! :ice: In the position of course..I am already forgetting about the procedure four days post op. Got lots of knitting to do! And I am in the middle of Heartland.. Set in Canada near Calgary I never saw it before on TV
     

Share This Page