THR Time to change things up.

We all do want to get back to a normal life...
Glad to hear you are still doing well.
Spring has sprung and hope springs eternal.:flwrysmile:

It’s been a busy week. Our stay at home order has been extended until first of June. We’re busy cleaning up the flower beds, planting a dozen new rose plants & putting cedar mulch to stop the weeds. For the record everything else aches LOL, but not the hip!

May is Alzheimer’s awareness month in Ontario. My wife Sharon, Bella and I walked 5km & raised $100 for the local branch. 4D59313D-C0DE-4D08-A695-9B594E14F39E.jpeg BBDD08C4-77E1-43F7-A9B4-C51E2BCBB42E.jpeg 40CB00DA-9E12-41A7-8F0A-4FFD122E65AD.jpeg

I was back in the water diving on Sunday. Shore dive at Portsmouth Olympic harbour Kingston. 40 ft max depth 40 minutes duration, water temp 61F. I had a small cramp in my left calf towards the end of the dive, so I eased up on the fin kicks. Need to work on my toe raises
. 29FAB204-27A2-439F-A056-7ABD4144EBCB.jpeg 1868362B-1054-44A6-B2F5-44C1CC440ED2.jpeg 689A1E1E-8172-4525-91C7-164D46444A24.jpeg

Good news, the province of Ontario is accelerating the 2nd COVID-19 vaccine schedul. My wife & I are getting our second Pfizer vaccination shots tomorrow!

July 6 this week will mark the 1 year since my hip replacement.
I have a follow up with my surgeon this month, but do not expect anything after that.
I have resumed scuba diving, walk our golden retriever Bella 3-5 km daily, & do cardio on the treadclimber , & strength training 3 days/ week each.
Feeling fully recovered!

Happy One Year Anniversary!
It‘s good to read your doing so well and back to the things you love.
Thanks for sharing this update. Stay safe, well and enjoy the Summer. :SUNsmile:
@Scuba_Diver

It's new year & a year and a half since my hip replacement. I thought it was a good time to check in.
I have only good news to report on my hip. I have full mobility & strength. The only lasting symptom, is a nagging ache in the left glute, after an hour & half car ride. Getting up and walking around resolves it. I have a similar issue with the right knee replacement. I attribute these to poor circulation since getting up & moving around alleviates both problems.
We're in the mid of winter here & outside temperatures have been -25 to -30C. (-10F). It is a little warmer this weekend (5 degrees below freezing). We are making good use of the bow-flex tread-climber we bought last spring. We dropped our memberships to the local Planet Fitness due to Covid. We bought some used weights, bars & a bench last summer to add strength training sessions to the cardio work outs.

WISHING EVERYONE A HEALTHY 2022!

Mike D

A happy and healthy 2022 to you also. Thanks for stopping by with an update. You’re doing great! Until next time, be safe, stay well and enjoy! :wave:
@Scuba_Diver

Sounds like a great recovery. That nagging problem hits me sometimes as well. I attribute it to a little sciatic nerve pressure. As long as getting up and walking around resolves it, I chalk it up to just an another annoying reminder that I’m not a spring chicken. Lol. Wishing you continued success in 2022. Stay safe.

It's Feb 2023, & this winter I have had a reoccurring symptom on the outer side of my left thigh (replacement side).
Whenever a go for long walk, do some extra heavy loads (ie carrying 2x 20kg bags of salt down stairs for the water softener) I end up with tendonitis at the lower side of my thigh. Basically feels like a charlie horse, but not in the muscle. Not sure what to do, rest it or work on strengthening it.
Glutes continue to be sore after long (3-5 km walks) but I attribute it to age. (I'm 69 next month).

@Scuba_Diver Sorry your hip is complaining! I have to say my replaced hips never have liked heavy lifting.

Do you go for long walks regularly? Gradually building up any walking distance will not only strengthen muscles. It will also help build the stamina you need for longer distances. The key is slow and steady versus launching into activity. And yes it can take quite awhile to rebuild atrophied muscles.

It sounds about what mine do when I over do things either lifting or working. Ice is my go to and it works for me. That damn date on my drivers license! It sure takes longer to heal now and those muscles and my hips function fine just don't like abuse.

Love that T-Shirt, gotta get one !
It is funny! Google it and own one for around $20. It's worth the laughs it will get.

I do think some of the aches and pains we experience can be attributed to an aging body as, Eman85, and you both remind us. My surgeon's PT reminded me early on that the prosthetic hip will not match or perform exactly or as well as our natural healthy hip, but it does get pretty close. I hope you have a nice day and weekend!

@Scuba_Diver , if you're unable to locate the t-shirt, I can send my 4-yr-old neighbor to see you. When I proudly showed him that I was off my poles and walking again, he said, "You are doing better, but you still walk kind of old." Yeah, and I know a little guy who's getting no Halloween candy! :arrow:

I’m doing strength training on alternating days & cardio on other. I’ve been focusing on upper body so I added 3 sets of 10 squats to see if that will improve things.

Attachments

• D2948352-EADC-4185-A3C7-4CDD06148940.jpeg
    D2948352-EADC-4185-A3C7-4CDD06148940.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 42

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks